Onewheel+

• Hi guys, so I already have a onewheel. Love it. Really can't think of too much I don't like about it.

I noticed the new version is coming out and I'm having a hard time seeing what all has changed or improved.

It looks like the new one is:
    -slightly faster.
    -has some new deck/grip style

But outside of that...it seems almost identical. Which isn't bad. But I am really curious about a couple things.

Battery life. Have they improved it?
    Water resistance. Again, improved?

Any motor specs available? I'd hate to realize a similar motor is being used and they only made software changes for speed and things.

Does the new onewheel come with a fender? Will my old fender work on it if not?

• hey @Tylermon, hope this helps you out.

FOOTPADS - So the sensor takes up the whole front footpad now and the footpads themselves are curved, which is supposed to help you stay secure on the board. I really like this design choice. The larger sensor will help us drop off curbs and take the board on really bumpy offroad situations without worry of disengaging the sensor. Sweet. I don't have to focus on keeping my foot in that exact spot anymore.

MOTOR -I'm pretty sure they claim it is a whole new motor design - their calling it the "hypercore". It's supposed to go faster and be a stronger motor (I wonder if you can pull other skateboarders on the PLUS - the V1 isn't quite powerful enough to pull someone behind you). No motor specs have been released as of now. Just a promise that the hypercore is noticeably more powerful, fast and stable at higher speeds.
    //
    Battery - no. They made no changes to the battery on the PLUS. :/
    Water Resistance - again, no. It's still just water resistant.
    Fender - No. You had to order as a platinum or gold tier order to get the free fender, both of which are now closed.

• @Tylermon Hmm your question about water resistance just made me wonder if the new "Hyper core" technology jargon means it's easier for water to get into the new engine design....That would suck if water gets into what essentially is the "exhaust pipe" on this beast lol

• @Tylermon I could swear that I read somewhere on the forum that the old fenders should still work on the OW+. Think it may have been @njcustom. Something to the effect that his carbon fiber custom fenders will fit V1 and OW+.

• Not sure what you mean about not being able to pull anyone. I'm about 170 and my friend is about 215 and we pull each other all the time on longboards. Matter of fact did about ten miles today out on Jacksonville beach just today. Plenty of power, just have to lean into it and go.

• @Bgrave huh. My motor made a sound when trying to pull my friend of ~190 on his longboard awhile ago. If I were to describe it, it would be that the gears 'skiped' a few times in the ride and I didn't feel comfortable doing it after that.

• @slydogstroh Me and my friend are both 170 and I pulled him up Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach (a pretty steep popular street in L.A.) and while granted we weren't going fast I still had no slips in the gears you speak of.

• While technically true that it's slightly faster, to me the most intriguing aspect of the newly designed motor isn't the speed, it's that it's more powerful. That's an important distinction. It means that all the reasons we love our Onewheels (the buttery ride, the amazing control, the ability to take on most any terrain) just got a nice boost.

• @thegreck Completely agree. I don't need the board to be able to hit 30mph. I just need the motor to have enough "headroom" that it can keep up with me when I have a wobble at 20mph.

• The "hypercore" thing doesn't really make sense to me. The old motor had a heat problem? OW has a temp sensor on the battery and controller board... right. If the old motor could overheat, wouldn't there be a heat sensor on the motor??? I think they are blowing smoke... Have you ever heard of a motor replacement because of overheating??

I could see a new motor having more torque at high speed. The problem with the V1 is at max speed the motor runs out of torque to level out the board and you nose dive.

• @Tylermon I think the battery would be the same the range is the same. The frame is the same so it seems like old bumpers/fenders would work however the mounting holes for the pads are different it seems. Motor has a bigger diameter bearing and it seems like a thicker axle they say they are using this to extract great from the hub motor. No specs on the motor has been released so I'm going to bet it's the same output on the motor with better cooling and more aggressive software running to draw better performance. I could be wrong though since onewheel didn't release any motor specs. We'll only find out once people run a + against a v1 head to head.

• Voltage is the name of the game.
    More juice power, means more room needed which require changing the size of the frame.
    It's probably a more efficient motor/better quality, which will produce a bit more power/torque is my guess. It's why they named it +, not V2.
    When Tesla releases the newer battery that shoot more voltage for the same size, expect a V2 with 20+ mph.

• @sonny123 said in Onewheel+:

Voltage is the name of the game.
    More juice power, means more room needed which require changing the size of the frame.
    It's probably a more efficient motor/better quality, which will produce a bit more power/torque is my guess. It's why they named it +, not V2.
    When Tesla releases the newer battery that shoot more voltage for the same size, expect a V2 with 20+ mph.

Is the onewheel using tesla cells? If so you are bang on.

• @clydekunst said in Onewheel+:

The "hypercore" thing doesn't really make sense to me.

That's a logical fallacy known as an "Argument from incredulity," which means "I can't imagine how this could be true, therefore it must be false." I guess we have to assume it makes sense to the electrical engineers who came up with it. I don't even understand how motors work at all, but they do.

Maybe the v1 motor didn't suffer from overheating because they (attempted to) limit the speed to 15mph. It's possible the + can go faster simply because they were able to pull heat from the motor, so now they don't have to put the same limits on the speed.

I think they are blowing smoke... Have you ever heard of a motor replacement because of overheating??

Overheating is actually a major cause of failure in electric motors:
    http://www.maintenancetechnology.com/2003/04/overheating-electric-motors-a-major-cause-of-failure/

• I can't believe we didn't get any feature that addresses one of the fundamental challenges to the Onewheel system - its ignorance of ground surface incline.

We are all taking our OWs up and down hills, but we have to keep in mind when we are going to start grinding. Because the board wants to stay level.

I was holding out for that. Never once did I think I needed more power (though I'm hopeful that it might improve the ride in ways that I will like).

• @willcapellaro said in Onewheel+:

e going to start grinding. Because the board wants to stay level.

I thought there's a "incline" mode?

• @willcapellaro I don't think this is an issue. On the V1, my motor dies out before I scrape my nose on steep inclines. As long as you don't push it too hard, too fast up a steep hill, you shouldn't nosedive.

• @willcapellaro Totally agree, and I've thought about this many times. I don't like elevated mode because all it does is lift the nose the entire ride, when the only time you need it is going UPhill, not when you're going downhill or on straightaways. To me, it's extremely uncomfortable to ride with the nose up, especially when going downhill when you need it to be doing the opposite.

However, I think to accomplish this it would take massive reworking of the electronics as well as putting sensors on the underside of the deck, where they're sure to be damaged almost immediately. But hopefully they're working on figuring this one out!

• @s2kboy Yeah, and there should a "decline" mode as well, plus levels of incline and decline. They haven't given us any new modes in years.

When I ride on rolling hills in Wisconsin I will use incline to climb the hill, then switch to extreme to go down. However, when I go down, I have to worry about scraping the bottom of the trailing deck.

Not much fun when you are going fast. And if you turn around to go up the hill to pick up your sunglasses, you will face plant. :(

I really hope they could at least update the firmware and app so we can use them in more areas, even if we will have to pull out our phones at every crest and valley to switch modes.

But for the v3 board it would be really nice if we didn't have to. We could actually use skate parks as intended, and ride any streets or roads we want.

• @thegreck See my reply to s2kboy.

I've thought a lot about how they could do it. You hit on some concerns, there are probably many others. Derek is smart he could figure it out eventually. It would be an undertaking, but I think the product would have a ton more value, especially to people in places with topography. I live in Chicago. We are as flat as a pancake so I'm okay, but I can't fathom how people in SF or Seattle tolerate it. It's not a lightweight device to carry up a hill!

For now, but I'd be happy with a compromise of more modes that we can use manually, and making those easier to switch. Supposedly the Apple Watch lets you change modes, I'd be curious if people find that useful.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.