WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.

• So.

I ride in Mountain View and Santa Clara, during my commute on the CalTrain.

Todays winds have been stronger than usual, and it affects the OW in ... strange? ways.. lol

Anyway, if you're bold enough to try it, ride the OW during fast winds, rain or shine. Interested to hear more experienced riders trying out strong winds.

• Care to...elaborate?

• Oh ya I have experienced that. Not too much fun. Wind blows hard, you push down more. As you are doing that the wind subsides and YOU start coming forward so you correct. Then the wind gusts, repeat.

• Yup, I can vouch for that. Riding into a strong wind and the OW thinks you are going faster than you actually are so nosedives can happen unexpectedly.

• Yeap, definitely felt these today, and Elevated riding mode on OWv1. Luckily I had new tires, so the grip was solid.

Winds on my end were also a navigation issue, since I would have to counter the winds motion to ride straight ahead, or to whichever direction.

@jeffmccosker said in WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.:

nd the OW thinks you are going faster than you actually are so nosedives can happen unexpectedly.

@wr420 said in WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.:

Oh ya I have experienced that. Not too much fun. Wind blows hard, you push down more. As you are doing that the wind subsides and YOU start coming forward so you correct. Then the wind gusts, repeat.

• I've had strong winds in my face slow me down to 10mph while pushing the motor as hard as I could. Range is halved in those conditions too :/
    Also, the wind is NEVER at my back when I want it to be!

• @RogueStar said in WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.:

So.

Todays winds have been stronger than usual, and it affects the OW in ... strange? ways.. lol

Anyway, if you're bold enough to try it, ride the OW during fast winds, rain or shine. Interested to hear more experienced riders trying out strong winds.

Are you the one that rides at NASA Ames???

• Yeah, it definitely changes things. I live in a town pretty well known for being windy, so I learned to deal with it early on in my riding. It's really disconcerting at first.

The key is to crouch a bit. This both reduces the surface area of your body exposed to the wind and more importantly, lowers your center of gravity so that the gusts have less leverage to influence the tilt of the board.

Even when the wind is at my back I tend to stay lower than if the weather is calm. A couple weeks ago when some snow had temporarily melted I was doing laps up and down a pretty steep hill near my house. The weather was changing pretty fast, getting cold again, so of course the wind picked up. A gust caught me from behind while I was going downhill and the wind combined with the steep angle was enough to overpower the resistance of the motor and I had to bury the tail to get control again.

• @enjoi408 said in WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.:

@RogueStar said in WTF Riding OneWheel during heavy winds.:

So.

Are you the one that rides at NASA Ames???

Yeap das me LOL

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.