Pre-Ordered the OW+. Extremely excited and a bit horrified. What have I done?

• Howdy...

Been on the fence for a while with the OW but the OW+ tipped me over. I pre-ordered .

I'm a middle aged dude who is somewhat athletic - expert skier, decent at ice hockey, generally more fit and better coordinated than most guys my age... but I've never surfed or snowboarded, and it's been 30 years since I've been on a skateboard. So while I'm very excited and can't wait for it to show up, I am a bit horrified.

Exactly how difficult is it? Steep learning curve? Harder than a bicycle? Anything I can do to prepare? I am considering purchasing a balance board and a skateboard.

I do get on the golfboard quite often:

https://youtu.be/B9VuKK5sbQo

• Within minutes you'll be puttering around, it's very natural. Takes time to work it out at higher speeds and on uneven terrain, so like anything else you work up to it. With your background you'll be shredding in no time.

• You'll be fine, just read this: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/256/newbie-real-world-beginners-manual

The key is not to get overconfident because it is easier than you thought it would be. Don't start bombing over cracks and bumps at top speed because you start to get confident. That's a recipe for a tear or break. My first and only 2 severe falls happened when I got overconfident and went over a tree root at 16 mph and a plastic speed bump. Tear in my knee and dislocated shoulder. Now it has been almost two years and I have yet to have another fall. Took me about 6 months to be able to recover from the most harrowing of close calls (nosedives, pushback, wobbles, quick stops). Give it 6 months of regular riding before you start to feel like you're one with the board.
    Enjoy!

• @eelhc

You will never regret, believe me.
    I bought mine 4 weeks ago and I am totally addicted to my OW.
    Like you, expect skiers ( used to spent 6 weeks/years in French Alpes in the last 25 years)
    Use to live in Canada, and now I live in Hawaii ( French alpes are to far now ) I am 52, very active ( tennis, roller blades, biking, surfing etc. )
    But with the Onewheel you get the best of the both worlds: no ski lift ticket, no waiting lines, no waiting for the waves..........just ride your OW and carve the roads endlessly. Recharge ( 35 min ) and go again for a 9 miles ride ( pressure 20 psi )
    Chances that Your ski will stay in the closet next year!
    Myself, I don't miss skiing and surfing the OW make the job even better.

• @eelhc Well, I can see what you're saying. Horrified...
    You'll never be the same. That's a fact.

• I don't know what's considered "middle age" these days, but I'm 46 and I love it. I used to skate, but that was 20 years ago. I ride nearly every day and it's the most amazing thing I've ever owned.

You might want to read through the Newbie Guide in the forum, written by @MichaelW , there's a lot of good and helpful info there: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/256/newbie-real-world-beginners-manual

And just search "newbie" or "beginner" and you'll find all kinds of great stuff here. I was reading these forums for about 2 months before my board arrived, and I found that the information I got was extremely helpful in learning how to ride it without killing myself.

IMPORTANT TIP: Change the mode to EXTREME as soon as you turn it on! Don't be scared of the name, it's just a name. It should be called WON'T KILL YOU, and Classic should be called WILL KILL YOU.

• @thegreck said in Pre-Ordered the OW+. Extremely excited and a bit horrified. What have I done?:

I don't know what's considered "middle age" these days, but I'm 46 and I love it. I used to skate, but that was 20 years ago. I ride nearly every day and it's the most amazing thing I've ever owned.

You might want to read through the Newbie Guide in the forum, written by @MichaelW , there's a lot of good and helpful info there: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/256/newbie-real-world-beginners-manual

And just search "newbie" or "beginner" and you'll find all kinds of great stuff here. I was reading these forums for about 2 months before my board arrived, and I found that the information I got was extremely helpful in learning how to ride it without killing myself.

IMPORTANT TIP: Change the mode to EXTREME as soon as you turn it on! Don't be scared of the name, it's just a name. It should be called WON'T KILL YOU, and Classic should be called WILL KILL YOU.

Thanks

What is the difference from Extreme and Classic? Does Extreme require more lean to carve so it's "less wobbly"?

• @eelhc the difference between Extreme + Classic is that Extreme's settings are such that you'll have a much better and safer ride experience, and Classic's settings are such that it's dangerous to ride in that mode if you're riding more than a few miles an hour. Disregard the names of the modes, just ride in Extreme and you'll be good.

• @eelhc I've been accused of writing novels on this forum, so get ready...

The most important difference between the two is the point at which "pushback" kicks in. Pushback is how a single-wheeled vehicle attempts to limit the rider's speed. It does this, ironically, by speeding up, which pushes the rider's center of gravity backwards, in effect causing them to slow down. (Imagine driving a car with someone standing on the roof. If you want them to fall backwards, you would speed up, because braking would send them over the front, onto the asphalt.)

At least that's the objective, and it works really well in Extreme, because it allows you to go 15mph before it starts pushing you back. And at this point, most riders feel that they're already going fast enough, so they're not really pushing very hard, and the pushback works just fine. But in Classic, it attempts to keep you at a very low speed by pushing back (speeding up) at around 7mph. This is very slow; like barely faster than walking speed.

Since the inexperienced rider usually has the tendency to put their weight on the front of the board to go faster (instead of keeping their center of gravity over the wheel and controlling their speed with their legs), when the board suddenly speeds up, they can get pitched forward even more, which causes it to speed up even more. At a certain point the wheel won't have any traction (both sides of the board need weight on them for it to be able to move you forward), and the nose of the board will suddenly pitch forward and dig into the ground, catapulting the rider onto the pavement.

Best advice is to put it into Extreme right away, and learn to vary the board's speed on your own. It's not going to suddenly speed up on you, you are in control. Just take it slow and as you feel more comfortable, keep adding more speed.

• Oh, and by the way, when I mentioned that pushback in Extreme kicks in at 15mph, but that's in the V1. I think in V2 it's going to be at 19mph, which doesn't sound like much, but I've pushed past pushback on my V1 and hit 18mph, and it felt pretty damn fast.

So to me, this is a good thing, because it gives you even more flexibility in governing your own speed. I tend to ride right at 15mph, so the pushback in V1 is pretty annoying. I'd love it to be at 19mph.

• Exactly how difficult is it? Steep learning curve? Harder than a bicycle? Anything I can do to prepare?

I'm not going to pretend it's a natural sensation. Seconds to learn and a lifetime to master. There's really no experience like it, so there's not much you can do to prepare. It took me a few weeks to build my confidence up with it, so I'd recommend pads (at least wrist guards) and a helmet at least until you get used to it. YOU WILL FALL, and PROBABLY at over 10 mph. Just be prepared and fall gracefully (ragdoll a bit). I have fallen several times and I still want to get right back on it every time. I think the OW+ will definitely be easier to learn on than the V1. I have to echo that you need to set shaping to 'extreme' the second it arrives.

• @mekon said in Pre-Ordered the OW+. Extremely excited and a bit horrified. What have I done?:

Exactly how difficult is it? Steep learning curve? Harder than a bicycle? Anything I can do to prepare?

I'm not going to pretend it's a natural sensation. Seconds to learn and a lifetime to master. There's really no experience like it, so there's not much you can do to prepare. It took me a few weeks to build my confidence up with it, so I'd recommend pads (at least wrist guards) and a helmet at least until you get used to it. YOU WILL FALL, and PROBABLY at over 10 mph. Just be prepared and fall gracefully (ragdoll a bit). I have fallen several times and I still want to get right back on it every time. I think the OW+ will definitely be easier to learn on than the V1. I have to echo that you need to set shaping to 'extreme' the second it arrives.

Yeah.. planning on helmet, pads, guards... also gloves, long pants and along sleeve shirt.

I stop playing competitive hockey several when I got hit and got a cut over the eye and had to get stitches at the emergency room at 2AM . Next day, I showed up at work for an early morning board meeting looking like I've been in a bar brawl. I still skate for the old guys pickup games now/then but getting hurt when one has a job, career, family, tuition... is no fun.

• @eelhc yeah, the only times I hurt myself was when I got overconfident and pushed pack against the pushback a little too hard. Frozen vulcanized rubber at 90mph hurts way worse than asphalt at 10. Not to worry, just take her easy and you'll be jamming on this thing in no time!

• @eelhc A balance board is great exercise for the onewheel. Once you master standing still on the onewheel you are ready for riding, carving, stopping as supposed with lifting your foot while standing still. Also an emergency stop is better once you find your balance. So a balance board to kill the waiting time is a good idea.

• IMPORTANT TIP: Change the mode to EXTREME as soon as you turn it on! Don't be scared of the name, it's just a name. It should be called WON'T KILL YOU, and Classic should be called WILL KILL YOU.

Thanks

What is the difference from Extreme and Classic? Does Extreme require more lean to carve so it's "less wobbly"?

Extreme is MUCH less likely to kill you. The only reason it's called "extreme" is that it will OCCASIONALLY slam up against your undercarriage and pull your gonads into the machinery. Personally, I value my life a lot more than I value my dangly bits, so it seems like a good tradeoff. Definitely not what I would call "extreme."

• Made the biggest mistake of your life

• @badcheese I'm wondering if we are giving uninformed advice with shaping 2.0. I tell
    Everyone the same the thing about classic vs extreme, but I just realized that with 2.0 there will probably be big changes to those modes plus any other they are introducing. We shall see. For now the answer is definitely to never ride classic.

• @eelhc

One more thing, the tricky part is, how to stop with the OW and disembark ( landing) from the board without being thrown forward or backward. For this, I advise novices to practice several times by holding a poles or a fence with both hands (by lifting the foot of the sensors). It is not so simple, more you will practice, better you'll be.

You will understand what I mean, when you will stop and try to remove your feet from the board the firsts times. 😤

• Add me to the list of "excited yet horrified" first time purchasers. I'm 47, relatively athletic yet woefully out of shape currently, but saw this and something made me pull the trigger. The newbie manual is great and good tips on the extreme vs. classic setting. Can't wait for this thing to arrive!

• Same here, 49. Was debating between boosted and evolve bamboo gt for to commute to work. Rode a co-workers onewheel which felt like had more fun factor than the boards would. The range won't work to commute but does look more fun. Plus I have a couple teenage boys I think will enjoy this more. If I let them touch it, we'll see😁 side benefit I explained the the wife is the exercise for the core, legs, and balance. Win-win.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.