Custom Sensor Hack

• @Future-Motion @Julian @tomtnt @SeeTheInvisible
    And anyone else with skills!
    So far I have Identified the circular harsh environments switchcraft plug connector
    http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=901
    and am trying to piece together a hack for the pressure sensor with this.
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/1361
    http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/HandcraftingSensors.pdf
    https://youtu.be/buZu0vgamQo?t=464
    This says it's a resistance sensor. Would it work as a pressure switch? Any and all thoughts welcome. I have no Idea what I'm doing😵not🤓

• This post is deleted!

• Just ordered velostat and some alligator clip jumpers. Keep your fingers🤞crossed hopefully full sensors for V1 are taking shape. Also have a pathway towards a custom FSR if necessary but hoping the velostat works as it would be very user/contour friendly. Will report findings.

• I think it won't work as a drop in replacement. The controller on the OW is expecting and on or off signal. This material changes resistance according to differing pressures. It acts more like a potentiometer than a switch. It would be possible to add a device inline that converted the resistance to a logic signal but ya probably not worth the time.

• I don't think it will work either.. why don't you wait for the new plus sensor?

• @njcustom what plus sensors? Are the new ones supposed to be reverse compatible?

• @Hazeey the grapevine says that there is a good chance that sometime in the future FM will adapt the + style pads to work on the v1. There is talk of having to replace the bumpers with a different design to accommodate the differences. There may even be software requirements. Who knows. But lss there is a good chance FM will provide some retrofit path.

• @ashewheeler, very cool project. I am definitely interested to see how it goes.

I spent a while trying to figure out which connectors were used. Looks like like you may have isolated it.
    Still, which exact connector do you think it is?

Also, where would be the best place to buy it?
    These places would seem likely to carry it:

I don't think I've ordered from any of these places. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

• @Hazeey yes they will work with minor modifications

• @Zluz I've ordered from mouser and digikey, both good companies.

• Really looking forward to updates on this.

• if i use 2 sticks and 2 spacers on the sensor and push the sensor it works....maybe this idea can work instead of resourcing a new sensor and programming etc....i don't think they will help hack there existing old product to make it like there new version?!;)...0_1486779084187_1435786007142-pad-map.jpg

• @wr420 said in Custom Sensor Hack:

@Hazeey the grapevine says that there is a good chance that sometime in the future FM will adapt the + style pads to work on the v1. There is talk of having to replace the bumpers with a different design to accommodate the differences. There may even be software requirements. Who knows. But lss there is a good chance FM will provide some retrofit path.

I feel after some tinkering that the new pads probaly have thread in them but the old bumpers are allready suitable for screwing from the bottom all the way through..you just need a counter thread to receive the screw...or go from the top...corners are just rounded of a bit more..no big changes

Ihope my posts with my hybrid pads will shame/ or hurry them up a bit to give us that factory option for the V1
    for the good of all ;);)

• Custom FSR for my widebody kit

0_1487124001992_OWsensor-1.jpg

I'm going to draw a full size sensor for a stock width concave/surestance type footpad design as well.

• don't forget about enough space to glue ;);)...sure hope this works!!!
    I was looking in your posts to see what happened with your project earlier today haha ...but now we know:):)
    weather needs to clear up over here so I can ride forrest again and test mine more :(:(
    enjoy&good luck
    & keep us posted:):)

• @ashewheeler said in Custom Sensor Hack:

Custom FSR for my widebody kit

0_1487124001992_OWsensor-1.jpg

I'm going to draw a full size sensor for a stock width concave/surestance type footpad design as well.

;)

• @ashewheeler Ok i think this looks awesome just want a little more info so i take it your using 2 sheets of plastic, On which your going to use a metal ink printer to print your pattern on the sheet of plastic but the thing im wondering is are you planing to print the velostat or is it going to be part of a 3 part sandwitch?

• Hey guys @wr420 was correct. The velostat won't work without some sort of Arduino or something to convert to logic signal. I was hoping to source sensors from Julian at FM but they are concerned with the liability involved in allowing off label use of sensors. He said he was noodling trying to figure something out but in the meantime I've made arrangements to have some sensors made. I will post as soon as I have something working. Thanks for all the contributions and interest. The OW family is so rad! Happy shredding!

• @Mr.Giggles I've sent the drawings to a company that makes FSR's and am waiting to hear about costs and such. I've also got to put the rest of the harness together so any ideas or feedback is much appreciated!!! The small black component that transitions from the plastic ribbon to 3 electrode plug in is the next missing piece.

• @ashewheeler Awesome. ETA?

• @drew will be 3 weeks before I get 5 prototypes. Rapid testing and hopefully no revisions will get me a box of 100 in 3 more weeks. In the meantime just dialing in some ergonomics with my deck design. Can't wait to have a full sensor on the OG OW. I feel like it's going to open up alot of confidence for speed, and acrobatics. Also the sensors come crimped with the little black connector on the end of the lead so it's conceivable to even recycle old wiring harness from old pads but it needs to be bedded in hot glue after reassembly. Working hard to have a bunch of you carving more deeply, with more control, relaxed heals and toes, and hyper responsive toe control. Faster, steezier rides with less foot fatigue coming soon ➖🌎➖.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.