Batteries won't stay balanced?

• Had a problem where onewheel battery died around 20%. Was told to charge for about 48 hours. When i checked cells, they were all balanced. My battery died on that ride at about 21%. The battery voltages were completely irratic after a solid balance charge. Seems like i have a battery problem?

• @shaka-wheeler Uh oh. Sounds like a job for support. If the 48-hour charge didn't work, there could be bigger issues.

• @thegreck I've done that 48 hour charge a couple time. It seems as though the batteries aren't working in series. Like the resistance isn't equal on every battery. Weird. I'll try and give them a call again today. No idea what's going on

• Long shot but may be worth trying.
    Run it out on the bench until it dies,
    then do a 24-48 charge.
    Use a clamp to keep it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4njY141b1k

• @sonny123 said in Batteries won't stay balanced?:

Long shot but may be worth trying.
    Run it out on the bench until it dies,
    then do a 24-48 charge.
    Use a clamp to keep it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4njY141b1k

This has worked for me several times

• What's the difference between running it on a bench vs driving it? I drained the whole battery in one run, and it did only 3 miles.. New battery none the less.

• @shaka-wheeler

You may be able to drain more under no-load,
    allowing it to take more time balancing.
    Doesn't work every time but worth trying.
    It had worked for me in the past with RC lipo packs.

• @sonny123 said in Batteries won't stay balanced?:

@shaka-wheeler

You may be able to drain more under no-load,
    allowing it to take more time balancing.
    Doesn't work every time but worth trying.
    It had worked for me in the past with RC lipo packs.

I was thinking fighting low battery pushback on a hill would do a good job?

• @shaka-wheeler

That's under load and may cut off if cells are not balanced.
    Cells can have a mind of their own.
    At one time, I was getting 3 miles.
    Support asked me to do 48 hours charge and it fixed it.
    Draining under no-load is just one more thing to try if nothing else works.

• Update: tried the recommendation. Didn't fix anything. Seems like the battery resistances are all different. Sometimes it pulls perfectly and balanced. Other times the voltages go whack and it craps out

• @shaka-wheeler in winter my cells go out of balance all the time. If I've not used the board in a week or so or after a few weeks of riding.
    How could you have tried the latest suggested fix of bench running and then a 48 hour charge. in a few hours of it posting?!

OWheelBuddy shows the cell voltage. Which after a full charge (the charger trickle charges with the green light on) should read 3.64v per cell. No charger fully charges or balance charges in fast charge mode. (Red light)

I only get balanced cells at 3.64v if I've left on charger for between a few hours or overnight. Depending on how out of balance the cells are. The more balanced your cells are the quicker the cells will balance at 3.62v - 3.64v

Try and be patient and leave it on charger until you get readings as above.

In winter I leave on charge overnight once a week to keep everything right.

• I had battery problems too and FM told me the clamp idea is hard on the motor. They suggested I ride it out.

I used to have a max charge of 94%. When I rode it out, I got about 20 minutes of riding on 1% lol. Now my max charge is up to 100%. Voila.

• @thehoff i left it charging until all cells read 3.62. I've done the 48 hour charge too, and it didn't work. It didn't take too long to reach that voltage. I'm going to contact onewheel as i believe i have a bad battery pack. It's been plugged in since my last update post. I can do 1.4 miles on hilly terrain, and still read 100%...

I let the onewheel charge overnight, every night to balance. No idea why they'd be out of balance in the first place. they start out balanced, and unbalance as i ride.

• 0_1485641845741_Photo Jan 28, 2 03 43 PM.jpg
    Just a screenshot of riding experience. It maintains 100% charge as i'm riding it for way way too long. Really bizzare...

• @shaka-wheeler that's a strange one! Have you rode until low battery pushback now.. what mileage are you getting... really can't trust apps. It's all about the mileage per charge

• @thehoff said in Batteries won't stay balanced?:

@shaka-wheeler that's a strange one! Have you rode until low battery pushback now.. what mileage are you getting... really can't trust apps. It's all about the mileage per charge

About 4 - 5 miles. It's pretty different every ride though. The battery voltages are everywhere

• Mine is doing the same thing. Today I rode 3.5 miles and it stayed at 100% in Onewheel buddy. I kept getting errors it was going to shut down because it was at 100. I had about 40% usage. Mine has been acting like that for awhile on the app. I've noticed it's pretty accurate on the usage when it finally gets drained.

• @laneeric I typically get 6-8 miles per charge.

• @laneeric Update. Just rode it for the first time in about 7 days. Had charged it for about 72 hours straight. I went about 3.5 miles and my batter was still at 100% and said I had used 44%. Went to a movie and turned it off and headed back. The battery went from 100% to 30% in about 2 miles and then it was done. Started to get pushback and it shut off after another 1/4 mile. So I will charge it up again and see but I am not sure what is up with the app "one wheel buddy" or my board but it has shut me down a number of times around 20-25% showing battery left and lately it will show 100% for a long time. Might have to send it in it's only 3 months old and about 300 miles on it. Got the OneWheel Plus coming in so when that comes I will ship it back if it doesn't correct itself.

• @laneeric You're lucky on the onewheel plus! Just rode mine today. It shut off at 32%! Totally shocked when that happened. I'm going to probably send mine in - no idea what's wrong with it.
    Enjoy the plus dude, i'm jealous!!

• @laneeric said in Batteries won't stay balanced?:

harge it up again and see but I am not sure what is up with the app "one wheel buddy" or my board but it has shut me down a number of times around 20-25% showing battery lef

I had to send mine in for the same exact issue, they had to replace the battery module, whatever that means

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.