Immediate nosedive from start. Why?

• I had a weird thing happen to me on my commute this morning. I turned on my OW, checked the front lights were good, hopped on, and 3 feet later nosedived. Then it happened again.

I checked to make sure nothing was caught in the wheel and cleared a little dry gunk but nothing major. I gave it a third shot and this time everything was fine. But the whole experience definitely rattled me.

What do you think happened? Did I get on too fast? Did my foot come off the sensor? Did the ~35 degree battery temperature have something to do with it?

thx for your thoughts!

• @noahsw what is your level of experience riding OW? If new to it, you could be pushing too hard on the front and accelerating too fast. If experienced, may be a problem with the board. Try riding on level surface doing basic moves, no speed, to work the battery down a little, and then give it another go.

• Been riding almost daily for about a month. The third try worked fine for my 20min commute.

• @noahsw maybe the board was at full charge, and you were getting an overcharge pushback / board failure. Anyway glad you resolved it.

• Did you leave the board on the ground when you switched the board on.That is the time it needs to settle on the flat ground.

• @groovyruvy said in Immediate nosedive from start. Why?:

@noahsw maybe the board was at full charge, and you were getting an overcharge pushback / board failure. Anyway glad you resolved it.

What's an overcharge pushback?

I'm new to One Wheel so I want to know more.

There should be Wikipedia for all the terminology and/or features of OW. At the least a technical list of features. That way we can all be better informed.

A forum FAQ helps but too bloated of opinions.

• @fruitygreen
    FULL-BATTERY PUSH BACK
    When the battery is fully charged and you continue to charge it through regenerative braking (e.g. traveling downhill), you may experience “Full-Battery Push Back.” This is to prevent overcharging the battery cells. If this happens, simply switch your Onewheel OFF and ON again and travel up the hill for a few moments to expend some of the charge. You will now be able to continue riding downhill.

• Interesting. It was a relatively flat road but would a slight decline cause the full battery pushback?

Not sure if it matters but the night before I rode the board to 0%.

• @noahsw - When it nose dived was the power on after? or did you have to turn it back on after the nose dive?
    If you had to turn it back on it might have been the battery/temp protection. I've had this happen. I believe FM replaced the BMS.

• Power was still on. Onewheel buddy showed 100% battery but no error messages (not sure if it shows error messages).

I can't remember if I turned it off and on again though.

• @noahsw The prob I was having was when it was cold(OW in trunk all night). It has the same symptoms you describe with the exception that mine shut off. This would happen for the first few attempts at riding and then be fine.

• I've had that happened to me lately too ever since I switched to elevated mode from classic. First time was when I was going full speed on flat pavement, then it all of a sudden cut off on me and stopped. I thought i may have pushed it too hard but now it's been a daily thing sometimes at startup just hopping on, after I stop at stoplights but still on the board, or slowing down to make a sharp turn on a sidewalk. I've read in other chats, it was the foot pad that needed replacements and that FM replaced it for them. One person said his replacements were free of charge under warranty but another person said he had to pay a fee. I forgot which chat forum I read that on though.

• This happened on my first board almost every time, it got really annoying, we have a new board and hasn't happened yet, because I have never turned the board on while it was not on the ground I think it has to do with the self balancing doohickey not trying to start in the starting position of the board, that was my experience and my problem i hope this helps you with your problem!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.