Tik / Tok while carving, normal?

• Hey!

Finally got my OW, I'm learning it and I see that when I'm carving the tire / wheel is making a "tik / tok" sound when I'm going from one side to another. I've put it on Youtube to let you hear the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2s6pof88XE

Is it normal? Do I have to check something to prevent that sound?

Thanks for your help :)

• normal..it is a little side to side play on the axel

• @Jeff I've never heard it on the two OWs I have

• Definitely not normal. Sounds like a loose axle to me. Get a hex key and tighten the axle. There are 3 bolts on both sides of the frame. that should fix the problem.

• I think this was an issue they had with some of their original boards. The board I got in May did not not do this but I bought a used kick starter board and it did have the problem. I thought they had fixed it permanently. I have not heard of this in a while. I was able to fix it by adding a few shims but I would contact them cause it's kind of annoying. and the board is new.

• @wr420 the board is not new, it's a kickstarter one. This is kind of annoying but if it's not dangerous nor will break the board then it's ok right? How did you. Fixed it? It's quite a small lose, below 1mm...

• http://community.onewheel.com/topic/1127/side-to-side-play-how-to-fix/19#

I used 2 of these. Got them at an O'reillys. I used a dremel to modify them. I started with smaller cone shaped grinding tips that fit into the center and kept moving up sizes until I could fit a barrel shaped grinding bit in. Keep taking off material from the center til it fits over the axle. I also took off material from the outside edge until I ended up with a small washer/shim. They go on the side of the motor without the wiring. After you pull the wheel assy out remove the block from the axle of the side without wiring. TIP - loosen the axle bolt while the wheel is still in the frame. Them remove the C/E clip on the axle that secures the wheel to the axle(you may need special pliers ). After you get the C/E clip off slide on the 2 shims and reinstall the C/E clip. If you are having trouble getting the C/E clip back into it's slot you can use a flat head screw driver to force the C/E clip down and get it into its groove.

• @wr420 Thanks! So if I sum up, it is not a "real" issue as I can ride with this sound but the day I'm sick of it or the day I change the tire I can put 2 shims and then fly away right?

As long as the board don't collapse it's OK... for now ;)

• Ya it won't hurt anything.

• @Jeff said in Tik / Tok while carving, normal?:

So if I sum up, it is not a "real" issue as I can ride with this sound but the day I'm sick of it or the day I change the tire I can put 2 shims and then fly away right?
    As long as the board don't collapse it's OK

Correct. I can also confirm, that the early kickstartet models had this slight axle play with doesn´t cause any problems at all. If it bothers you, use the shims, or just don´t care.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.