Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter

• Hey Guys,

So I've been doing some research on charging options when outdoors/camping.. So far, I see that a pure sine inverter is the way to go. However, they all cost close to $100. Now, I'm thinking I might as well spend a little more and get a large portable power bank. The best quality and price that I like is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GE8JPY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AY5XLL1NQPR7O

It says its 220wh/20,000mah, which I believe is 200watt max. Can this handle charging a onewheel without breaking or burning anything. Will this be enough for 1 full recharge? Any other affordable suggestions?

• This is the most inexpensive pure sine power inverter I could find:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP9JE18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09

But, it needs to be used with a battery clamp cable that is not included like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8WLX78/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These 2 pieces above, when used together, make for a pretty decent and cheap pure sine power inverter you can use in your car to charge your onewheel and even charge this big power supply:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GE8JPY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AY5XLL1NQPR7O?

I would like to get all 3 pieces for an ultimate full day of riding outdoors. What do you guys think?

• A guy (Luke Roman I think was his name) posted on the facebook group that he recommeneded this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA4YVNP/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2EPCCIQ4GJK28

He said he gets 3.5 onewheel charges out of it. The one you posted is 200W and 220Wh vs this one that is 500W and 346WH.

• @RandomNate Thanks for posting bro. I was looking at a few of those power supplies, but the start at around $350.. That's a little too expensive IMO.. I was looking at the suaoki 200 power supply because its half the price, much smaller, and lighter. Plus, I only really need 1 full recharge if I also have a power inverter/ car charger. This hobby got real expensive, real fast. Lol.

• @gio.lyfe said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

Hey Guys,

So I've been doing some research on charging options when outdoors/camping.. So far, I see that a pure sine inverter is the way to go.

I ran an 800watt brandname"PEAK" inverter , modified sine in combo with the Ultra Charger to charge my OW. Cost was $59 years ago.

No internal battery but sufficient to charge OW from truck bat. A lot of electric devices work on modified sine so if you don't absolutely need pure sine then this is good and cheap.

• @Rig

I wonder how much this lives up to the spex.
    It'll be interesting to see how many charges OW can get from it,
    and whether it can withstand the charging.

• @sonny123

According to Julian at OW, a portable charger needs to be able to supply 250W, and batteries would need to have a minimum capacity of 135Wh. So ya, if this "Plug" produces 250W as advertised, it should handle the OW. Only portable battery of this size and weight that I have found that would be capable enough.

• @Rig A lot of times indiegogo projects like this either won't work as advertised or won't actually ever exist.

• @Rig I'm not an expert like Andy but I believe that the OW power charger loose some power during the charging (like few %) so you need a little more power to provide 250w. The "Plug" is a nice product but I'm not that confident due to this fact as it could switch OFF to safe mode if the OW ask too much power from it.

• another thing that has to be considered is that the OW supercharger draws high current (3.5Amps) during charging, which the absolut majority of those power pakcs can not deliver (so far I have already seen those very bulky ones that can handle it). if it can not provide it, it will either charge very slow or not at all...

• This post is deleted!

• I'm thinking about one of those little Honda generators

• @Rig I jumped on the plug myself, can't wait to get it! Supposed to be here this month but I see it says April now. They had sent an email updating the issues manufacturer had with production and postponing ship date but I hope it's not that long. I'll be using it asap and I'll post my review, for now I'm on inverter power when traveling. Still waiting for WI to warm up so I can get the full range out of this beast!

• Wait , cant you just use a simple 20$ 400watt inverter and your car battery?

• What's up shredders? I'm new to the forum having just started riding this past December. Can't get enough of it and taking every chance I get to explore San Diego through the lens of the Onewheel.

Maybe a stupid question but if your car has a standard charging plug in it can't you just charge directly through this outlet. Haven't tried yet so figured I would ask before I blow a fuse or something worse.

• @Ike Hey, If your car has a plug somewhere, it probably already has an inverter installed to your car battery. I would look into what size the inverter is before plugging in. You want a minimum of 300 watts from the inverter. Ideally you would get a pure sine wave inverter that is 300 watts or more. Good luck!

• @Dirk Yes, those would work for car charging.. But I wouldn't go for the cheapest inverter possible. I was also looking for other more portable options such as a small generator or power pack.

• @Hazeey Do you think the plug is the best option for 250W at $260?.. Maybe the other batteries that @RandomNate and @parrothd are a better deal at 300W for $300? Plus these batteries seem to already be tried and tested and its been confirmed you will get 2-3 full charges out of them. I'm still doing research so I can make the right choice.

• @Dirk said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

Wait , cant you just use a simple 20$ 400watt inverter and your car battery?

Probably.
    Watts = amps x voltage
    in theory the Ultra-charger is approximately dc rated
    @ 58.4volts x 3.5amps = 204.4watts.
    On your inverter, the output rating is relevant to ac power, but power is power. The power conversion from ac to dc will have some loss(efficiency factor). This loss needs to be considered also.

I had a personal policy to use 1.5x the power required. I believe the 400 watt inverter would work. Make sure you get good power from the battery too.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.