Amtrak Travel advice

• Should I put in a thin duffel to disguise it or maybe a backpack rain cover?

• @tony420121 said in Amtrak Travel advice:

Should I put in a thin duffel to disguise it or maybe a backpack rain cover?

I've been told you can't bring it onto an Amtrak train legally, so if you're going to attempt it, you'll definitely want to hide it in a duffel and lie about the contents. Let us know how it turns out.

• This works pretty good when I need to take my OW with me.
    You can always wrap it in something light.

The dolly is very lightweight and folds small enough for a backpack.

0_1489598788421_0211171142_resized.jpg

• @sonny123
    Curious about your metal "fenders". Do they stop any debris from hitting your feet or are they more for keeping your feet from contacting the wheel? Thanks

• @powderhound

These were just brackets for when I had a homemade fender.
    I since ordered a fender when I decided to do a water print on it.

0_1489601174276_0222171355b_resized.jpg

• @sonny123 No I meant as far as the conductor is concerned, since they ban hover boards, I found a 30 inch duffel that packs away when not in use that seems idea.

• I second what @thegreck said.
    Might wanna deflate the tire to make it a bit thinner.
    Most times they don't check.

• @tony420121 There was an old thread where someone was talking about how Onewheels had been specifically banned from Amtrak after all the hoverboards started exploding, and I remember looking it up on the Amtrak site and seeing that all electric vehicles besides wheelchairs weren't allowed on the train:
    http://community.onewheel.com/topic/2011/not-allowed-on-trains/6

But I was just looking through the list of prohibited items on their site, and I'm only seeing hoverboards specifically, and batteries with acid that can leak: https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items

This leads me to believe there might be a chance you can get on with it now, but I'd still def put it in a duffel and throw it over your shoulder. And again, really interested to know how it goes for you, because I might be making a trip on Amtrak soon.

• Some people report traveling internationally with it with no issues.
    Some traveled domestically as well.
    Sucks that we have to take a chance though.
    Main concern is if they give you hassle on the way back and end up missing your flight.

• @sonny123 I'm taking the California zephyr to Denver for the 4/20 festival, so I think that just using the duffel should be fine.

• A Onewheel could technically be considered a Other Powered Mobility Device (aka a powered wheelchair) for those with disabilities which is the case for me. To be clear, one would never really know that I have a disability as I am able to do pretty much everything anyone else can do; however, I get really bad hip pain from walking long distances etc. So my electric skateboards enable me to go places I would have typically walked before, but at this point are just too far and would be painful now. Due to changes in technology etc, the American Disabilities Act (ADA) now covers and allows people with disabilities to choose whatever transportation device best suits their needs. Here is a link to specific regulations covering these devices. https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
    I tell you this as sort of a last resort or if you do have some sort of injury / pain etc that could be covered under the ADA which is very vague and doesn't require documentation. Also as in my case, one's disability is not always obvious. Hope this helps

• @sonny123 said in Amtrak Travel advice:

Some people report traveling internationally with it with no issues.
    Some traveled domestically as well.
    Sucks that we have to take a chance though.
    Main concern is if they give you hassle on the way back and end up missing your flight.

Amtrak is a train.

• I have taken my OW on the marc train and amtrak between Baltimore and DC a million times. They never say anything and have even shown me where the outlets are.

• Has anybody taken their Onewheel into Canada via Amtrak?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.