Onewheel vs dogs

• So every time I go out for a ride at least once during that ride I will be randomly attacked by a confused and scared dog who either hates the onewheel or doesn't understand how a human could be floating unaturally by it. I would think if this were a normal stunt pulled by the dog every time a skateboard or bike went by that the owner would have pulled the dog close ahead of time by it's leash, but this is never the case.
    Does anyone else run into this?

• Yeah, dogs hate the Onewheel. I love dogs, but the big ones make me nervous 'cause I'm sneaking up on them fast and quiet scares the shit out of them and most of them want to fight. I give 'em wide berth.

• Haha I love dogs too, but they always attack my ankle and not the onewheel. Easier target I suppose...

• @jefflynn I would recommend bear spray or similar ought to do the trick.

• @jefflynn There are a lot of strays in my neighborhood, so I carry this, just in case:
    https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-spray-shield-animal/dp/110564

So far, the angriest ones seem to be the ones behind fences, but better safe than sorry.

• @thegreck luckily where I ride all dogs are on leashes so they only get a quick nip in before I get out of range.

• @jefflynn Then use it on their owners.

• @thegreck lol not a bad idea

• Plenty of dogs where I ride but no issues at all.

My 5 months puppy is a fireball of energy.
    Been training her to go along and after a 4 mile run, she gets knocked out for the night.

0_1490138196927_12345.jpg

• It's happened to me 4 times, the first time scared the shit out of me, but I realised they don't really plan on attacking, no matter how close they get. Now when it happens, I just ride in a straight line til they give up.

• Last summer I was cruising the beach very close to the water.. didn't notice the pack of pups close behind.. long story short I ended up in the ocean 🤣🤣 rode the board completely submerged for maybe 8-10 feet.. still works with no issues

• Im pretty much the Onewheeled Pied Pipper when it comes to dogs..

I generally have to turn around and return them to their owners as they just seem to follow me for miles otherwise, pretty sure they see me as some kind of pack leader n just follow..

But i love dogs so it's cool...

• I've taken my OW through dog runs in CP a couple times and it's hilarious. Just like the pied piper -- surrounded by a yapping howling mob, following me as far as they can. But have never been bitten -- they get close but keep their distance.

• Dogs freak out at me ALL THE TIME here in Lincoln Park. I actually got one following me on camera the other day, so a Instagram post is coming! The pup looks really happy and just followed me with a ball in his mouth! He was a cute one.
    //
    I have been bitten by a dog while on the OW before too though... It was really bad actually, the dog was huge and he took a chunk out of my leg. I think he was protecting his owner as I was booking it on the sidewalk and they came out of nowhere... I braked as hard as I could and stopped right in front of them and the dog lunged forward and got me. This is why I ride in the street like a biker and not on the sidewalk!

• Never had an issue here with other dogs, and my dog LOVES running trails (off-leash mostly, though he's good through town on it, too) with me on the wheel. Oddly, sometimes when I'm cruising around the yard he'll chase and bark at it.

• You know it's funny you mention that - usually if I'm not on the Onewheel I'm riding my electric unicycles... and believe me if the handler doesn't realize i'm passing by the dogs will start chasing me... I've been chased by dogs plenty of times...

I just think its the lights... who knows...

• Yeah, I get chased on both my uni and the onewheel. I tend to cough or clear my throat when I'm coming up behind them so that both of them look back. Usually the dog tries to lunge or turn around before I get close and the owner reigns them in.

My pup, on the other hand, loves to run alongside. He's a heeler, so like @sonny123's it's a fantastic way to tire him out before bedtime.

• Yes.

I got attacked by a black lab (of all dogs) who actually got a good chunk of the back of my thigh. This dog was sitting with about 6 other dogs under a table at a coffee shop without a leash and jumped out and bit me, covering a distance of about 15 feet in what felt like a second. I was going at a pretty good clip of 10-12 mph too. I had passed these dogs several times with not so much as a raised head. There was a little yapper dog freaking out that hadn't been in the pack before, maybe that set him off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I have a theory about this. I believe the motor sounds like a growl to the dog.

I wonder if dogs will be less freaked out with the +?

• @brianlavalle don't have a big enough sample yet, but seems so.

• if you just turn your board on and put your ear up to it you can barley hear a high pitched sound coming out of the motor this is probably what the dogs are reacting too

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.