Best portable battery pack?

• I'm trying to figure out the best portable battery pack to buy.

Most seem to recommend the $300 Chafon CF-UPS008 but it's a modified sine and this thread suggests only using pure sine. This $310 igoeshopping is pure sine but the brand name seems super ghetto.

Another factor: my buddy has the beefier $410 Chafon CF-UPS018 and it didn't want to charge two OW's at the same time, but others say the CF-UPS008 above can charge both.

FM won't help me because it's not their product.

Help me settle this once and for all!

• I have the Goal Zero Yeti 400 Pure Sine. Works great for about 2 charges

• @noahsw This one might be better. My chafon charger is starting to lose its capacity after a year and a half of use, the overall quality of these Chinese batteries is questionable, if you're cool with the possibility of it not working in a 12 to 18 months, then they're fine

• This post is deleted!

• @No said in Best portable battery pack?:

@noahsw This one might be better. My chafon charger is starting to lose its capacity after a year and a half of use, the overall quality of these Chinese batteries is questionable, if you're cool with the possibility of it not working in a 12 to 18 months, then they're fine

That would be a really good price for 330 Wh... Should work for at least 3 charges if it's accurate. Shame about the zero reviews... Hard to say if it's any better than the Chafon with no feedback.

• what is the minimum Wh that is needed to charge the Onewheel once? There are new chargers at 100Wh that is half the weight of the Chafron.

• @ZeeMox said in Best portable battery pack?:

@No said in Best portable battery pack?:

@noahsw This one might be better. My chafon charger is starting to lose its capacity after a year and a half of use, the overall quality of these Chinese batteries is questionable, if you're cool with the possibility of it not working in a 12 to 18 months, then they're fine

That would be a really good price for 330 Wh... Should work for at least 3 charges if it's accurate. Shame about the zero reviews... Hard to say if it's any better than the Chafon with no feedback.

I bought his one. Unfortunately I sold my original onewheel and I am still waiting on the +. When it arrives, I'll put it through its paces and let you all know how it performs. I'll also post up a review on Amazon.

• Something else to think about with these type of setups is that you are converting DC to AC and then converting AC back to DC. I'm not sure if the rating on these things is the battery or at the outputs. If it's the battery you are going to have a hard time doing a Wh estimate if you don't really know how much is bing lost in the process.
    The only way to know for sure is to load test it and measure.

The solar charger and lipo packs are DC to DC similar to the way a tesla super charger works so less loss. Also less weight. With the portable ups style solution you are essentially carrying around and 2 heavy components that cancel each other out and waste electricity as heat.(inverter and transformer).

• @wr420 I've also noticed that my UPS tends to unbalance my cells pretty easily, it's simple enough to fix, but still annoying.

What would you recommend? I know almost nothing about electronics, do you have a link to something that's more ideal?

• @wr420 all valid points. The challenge is solar is not an option for me in Seattle ;-). Other threads mention those lipo batteries as being pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

@No maybe because your UPS is modified sine? I'm no expert either.

@JacoNZ got links? I think each charge is roughly 100.

• @JacoNZ that's only 100W though. OW requires 300W.

You might be confusing the wattage with capacity?

• do the booster set up...it is more portable so will give you more freedom instead of you having to make it to your car...search forum for solar, booster

• @noahsw said in Best portable battery pack?:

@JacoNZ that's only 100W though. OW requires 300W.

wattage is related to charge time?

• @No said in Best portable battery pack?:

@noahsw said in Best portable battery pack?:

@JacoNZ that's only 100W though. OW requires 300W.

wattage is related to charge time?

100W won't provide enough power to the charger and you won't get a charge in the first place.

• @ZeeMox right, so is it related to charge time? for example, will 300w charge slower than 1,000w

• A 1000w inverter and a 300w inverter should both charge the OW at the exact same rate. The reason is that the OW charger only uses a limited amount of current when charging regardless of how much is available. As long as the inverter can supply that much current then it will charge at the normal rate. If it can't supply enough power or it doesn't use a pure sine wave then who knows what will happen.

In my testing, my onewheel charger uses about 220 watts (9.1 amps from my 24v battery) when the onewheel is completely dead and the power consumption drops as it gets further along the charge cycle.

• So any update on portable battery packs ?
    Looks like most people use chafon CF-UPS008.
    What about the chafon CF-UPS018 ? More power for only 1/2 lb more
    Also any feedback on the AMSU ?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.