Digital anti-theft features.

• I've heard others mention a way to lock the board with the app which I think is a good idea, but as mentioned that would not stop someone from picking it up and walking away.

I was thinking it would be helpful if you could mark the board as stolen and get the gps location of the new "owner" if the user connected the board to the app...perhaps to try enabling it.

There are some considerations here such as the user not letting the app have access to gps. But maybe the board itself could store a variable of whether gps access is required to enable the app to work and board be enabled. This would give the privacy conscious the ability to not require gps access, while allowing others to require it to help find it in case it's stolen.

Obviously, this is a very rough idea but one that is probably possible in some form with a new app and firmware update.

• I agree that the app lock feature isn't really going to prevent anyone from stealing it. I just don't see the value in that feature. Good idea on the app posting the new location. I'm reaching here, but I would love to see an integrated GPS beacon. Give that this is such an attention-getting device, and it's rather spendy, I would be willing to pay for that level of protection.

• There are a lot of third party gps / cellphone trackers that could be easily attached to the board and pretty inexpensive. One I back on indiegogo was iTraq that has its own prepaid unlimited cell plan but non-replaceable battery. (Beta production ships in July.) It's Probably a good investment to use one of these to protect my $1500 one wheel. Hmm, I might want to add it to my renter's insurance as a special item too.

• That being said an app lockout would still be cool too. If people couldn't ride it away because I locked it with my phone I'd have additional piece of mind that they stole a product they can't use.

Not that they could easily find a charger either.

• I'm a computer programmer and long time bicycle enthusiast, and I love the onewheel product. Just ordered one yesterday. So I share some of these concerns.

Here's what I would propose, and I will even give you the architecture to do it.

Agreed with the opt in policy. Any solution for this will require users to give up a little privacy, so it can't be enabled by default. Same with most cell phone tracking solutions.

1.Each board should have a unique serial number set somewhere within its internal software. The app should also have a login associated with it that ties back to a onewheel cloud server.

2.Anytime a user connects a phone to the board for the first time, the app should require an internet connection. The app then does a silent security check to ensure the board is not stolen over the net. If verified, then proceed, and future checks are not required unless a different phone is paired to the board.

3.If the security check fails, grab the location of the phone. This can either be a GPS or cell based, but at least it will be something. Then brick the board. Location info can be sent to the email address of the user who's app was originally paired to the board.

4.Bricked boards can be restored at the factory only, after paying a small processing fee. Some kind of proof of order should be required, and would thus be matched to the serial of the board to ensure only an authorized party can restore they board.

5.Simple web interface to report a board stolen, or view the last logged in location of the board, or verify the unique serial of the board is "clean." Also a feature of the app that does not require a login (so people can check other peoples board on the used market), which of course would also brick the board if the check failed.

So basically, if the board is stolen, it will eventually be bricked, and can never be resold. Again, all of this would only be available on an opt-in basis. And yeah, I could probably build all of the above for you if you are serious about it.

Also someone in another thread mentioned putting the device into a lock mode. That would be good, but only if there is some indication outside the board that it is locked, so would be thieves know picking the board up would be useless to them.

But to be honest, I want a custom backpack for the board, or some other carrying solution. That way I can take it with me wherever I'm going and not have to lock it. Taking the board into an office within a custom backback that also has a little extra room for a laptop would be sick as hell.

Also a way to physically lock the board with bicycle chains / ubars would be easier to implement in the version 2 board.

8 weeks feels like forever :-)

• @hdiesel, nice thinking. I'm also a programmer. I'm believe each board already has an id. I say this because the app shows an id that it is connecting to. After connected to the app, settings show you ids of components which probably help them service your board knowing which batch things came from.

I don't think every first connection to the board should require Internet and a phone home....only if the previous owner has set their board to require that should it be needed. Other than that I would have to agree with the rest of your ideas.

• Just have a key on the side, or an RFID/chip thing.

Board works without a key, but after 10 minutes of riding the wheel simply locks up.

Preferably at full speed.

• I agree that some kind of anti-theft mechanism would be my wish for a physical addition to the Onewheel.

I thought about possibly adding some kind of device in the compartment behind the control box, where the big connectors are. Not much room in there. Or underneath that front pad on the outside.

I would want some kind of motion sensor alarm or add a security cable with an alarm if the cable is broken.

Something like exists for laptops (search Targus Laptop Computer Security System), but it would have to put up with the outdoors and I would rather have something integrated.

That would by my wish for hardware.

For software, maybe when the board is on it can go into a low-power mode if not being used and it could stay connected to a phone and alert the user if there is activity on the board (motion, attempt to turn off, etc). This might require a minor hardware change to control the power.
    Software-wise, this feature would be a second priority.

I would be more interested in an under- or over-charge alert to warn the user before loss of power. If we're just talking about a software upgrade.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.