Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience

• I've been riding long enough how to be pretty comfortable (still got a touch of wobble when I ride a lot), about a week. There is obviously progress to be made, but I've reached some conclusions I think could benefit folks and I'd like to share 'em. I'd also love to hear feedback on some of the things that suck a little to see what can be improved user-end.

Ease of Use: 9/10. Easy to get up and go, bit of wobble and then the board does a solid job of keeping you steady. As with a bike or any balance-oriented sport, balance becomes a breeze once you pick up speed.

Speed: 6/10. I've gathered pretty quickly that while flying is something the OneWheel supports, it hardly plays to its strengths. Certainly more stable when carving, still leaves a lot to chance - including varying reasons the tail or nose may adjust suddenly due to speed, incline, or decline (overcharge shutdown is the worst). I've heard shaping might have something to do with this and I'll touch on that later.

Stability, smoothness: 8/10. Honestly, this would be 10/10 if it weren't for the balancing issues inherent to the board's design. This thing rides smooth and beautiful, especially when carving. I haven't even reached a point where I can get too aggressive with it. This seems to be where the board shines: Carving. You can ride it in a straight line all day , but there's something about getting on the edge of that tire that fills that powdery void.

Shaping: 5/10. And to be clear, this is one of those fives that is basically a one. Digital Shaping 2.0 in its current, unfinished form is a disgrace that holds this brilliant machine back in a terrible way. Cruz feels great off road and on trails, but the pushback detracts from the experience at very regular intervals. Mission is buttery and perfect on roads, but kinda sucks for trails, which means there is no option allowing both speed and optimal maneuverability. It's pretty aggravating knowing that I'm cruising on top of a $1500 machine that is doubtlessly capable of riding like a dream and is obviously underperforming for artificial reasons. Also, elevating on this thing sucks because the front sits too low. Why no elevated shaping on the +?

Range: 2/10. I only avoided a "1" because, while shittier things exist, they aren't marketable and are seldom marketed. This right here is the feature that made me sketchy about the V1, and I thought the Plus was going to at least meet this bar, but I'm averaging 4.5 miles per trip, and that's after draining the battery and leaving it plugged in for a day or two, etc. I'm 145 lbs. Ridiculous.

Design: 6/10. Concave footpads are great, hard to imagine riding without them. My sensors work great, I've run into no gyro or runaway board technical difficulties. The basic design of the board limits the sport, however. Drops are limited because the back of the board likes to smack stairs, nosedrops are terrible at speed and seem to be the most common type of wipe out. Jumps, drops, etc, all look incredibly lame on video because you just can't seem to push these things that far. I watched a million OneWheel videos before mine got here, and mostly thought people looked funny. Never really saw anyone pull something off worth getting worked up about.

Summary: I'll give this thing an 8/10 overall, paying zero heed to the numbers I made up above. I mean, it's its own sport. It's also called a "toy", and a lot of people hate that. I disliked it too, and then I received mine, and I realized that the limitations of the hardware are what make this a "toy". It's too slow to really shred, the range keeps you from "making a day of it" unless your whole day involves being next to power outlets, and the design prevents it from ascending to the realm of "extreme sport" as anyone who achieved something truly "extreme" on a Onewheel would probably noseplant at the end of said maneuver. Unless there is some crazy awesome video I haven't seen; Feel free to link it.

So why give it an 8/10 when I've got all this negative stuff to say about it? Well, honestly, coming from snowboarding, I think I approached this the wrong way. As soon as I felt a little stable on the board, I pushed the speed, felt limited, felt disappointed. Later I crashed twice at speed and realized I can't push this as hard as I push myself on snow. Pavement and soil are not quite so forgiving. THEN I got baked and headed out again and carved non-stop and tried some trails and some roads and just explored. This was a blast, and I never felt held back by the limitations of the device.

So basically, the Onewheel+ is a great little machine. You just have to figure out how to ride it, and I don't mean how to stand on the thing and fly on it, but how to get the most fun of it. It really seems like a cruising machine. Relaxing, even. I remember thinking sky diving was great, but the sky is big, so I never got that "rush". I might have jumped out of a plane, but it didn't feel all that extreme. Peaceful. Maybe if 15mph makes you skiddish, the Onewheel+ could be considered an extreme board sport. My take is that it's a relaxing thing, more enjoyable than an afternoon stroll. But battery life and unfinished technology are huge drawbacks. So huge that I wonder if the enthusiasm on this forum is largely fueled by people wanting to justify their incredibly expensive purchases. This Onewheel is great, it really is, but if the furthest I can make it round-trip in WITH a full extra charge in a battery pack is ~8.5 miles?

We need a revolution in battery technology. I'm going to give this a couple more weeks and see if it seems worth keeping around. If I had $1500 just lying around, there would be no question, but this was a significant expense made because I miss snowboarding.

Oh yeah, and on that note, Snowboarding: I've seen a few comparisons here, and I'd like to add another. Riding on smooth pavement feels like riding in deep powder, especially when going downhill and managing stability with your back foot. This is awesome. Off-road on moderade dirt/gravel trails is more like riding on well-frozen groomers. Things get real dicey on lumpy ground - not a huge fan of riding grass plots yet. Big differences to note: This comparison is where snowboarding similarity stops really. For better or for worse, it doesn't feel like riding on slushy snow, icy conditions, packed powder, etc. And one ought to be very skeptical of tree lines I imagine.

I'm really hoping this grows on me a little more. I like getting stoned and cruising, but when sober I feel underwhelmed by the limits. Mainly distance.

Hopes this helps some prospective consumers. Lots of reviews comparing the two, haven't seen too many that are + only.

• @ZeeMox overall you're review is pretty spot on. I don't have the plus but have had a v1 for over a year now and some of the gripes and things you like sound similar. One thing I would disagree with you on is the battery life. I wouldn't give up the board over getting 5 miles on a charge. On the v1 I average about 6 miles on the street and 5 off-road but you really arent going to find an electric board that can go much further besides maybe the evolve carbon but even with that board the advertised range is cut more than in half once you take it off road. Once you try a onewheel you can never go back!! Every other electric board you try from now you will compare it to the onewheel and see how awesome it is.

• Let me know when you want to sale it. Lame review.

• "the design prevents it from ascending to the realm of "extreme sport" as anyone who achieved something truly "extreme" on a Onewheel would probably noseplant at the end of said maneuver. Unless there is some crazy awesome video I haven't seen; Feel free to link it."

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/u4XUgx6t4q8
    https://youtu.be/B1b1aFtBCrA
    https://youtu.be/TXRnuUBMzbg
    https://youtu.be/OPJ9gOpfvBw

• @ZeeMox I agree with @jeffmccosker and would say you can make it as extreme as you want really just depends on what you are willing to try. Its not skydiving extreme but I also wouldnt call snowboarding an extreme sport either. Trust me though once you take the onewheel on some actual downhill mountain biking tracks you will think snowboarding is like having training wheels on compared to the onewheel and it's a lot more fun in my opinion. Also can take care of your range issues as well since going downhill you are usually regening some battery back.

• this probably sounds stupid, but i really love stopping. there's something zen-like about leaning back when you're cruising at a decent clip, floating smoothly into a quick stop.

• what ride mode are you guys using off-road with the plus?

i've seen some folks saying cruz was the best off pavement. that generally matches my experience, but every now and then i still seem to find a way to catch the front edge if the ground isn't pretty smooth.

• @iiikz not stupid at all.. I have to also agree I love the smoothness of the braking.. feel totally in control the whole time.

As far as ride modes I have been riding mission pretty much exclusively(150 miles) since I got my plus and it's been mostly a positive experience.. thinking about trying cruz as the pavement sucks around here and the occasional tail drop from rapid change in incline/bump is kinda sketch..It recovers quickly each time but if your not expecting it I can see how it may lead to a fall .. I have found leaning forward into it at speed seems to help stop it from happening.. either way I don't seem to ever go past 15mph anyways cruising around town.. if I can ride at 12-15 mph without push back and a little less torque cruz might be the better solution for around town riding.

• @ahxe45 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox overall you're review is pretty spot on. I don't have the plus but have had a v1 for over a year now and some of the gripes and things you like sound similar. One thing I would disagree with you on is the battery life. I wouldn't give up the board over getting 5 miles on a charge. On the v1 I average about 6 miles on the street and 5 off-road but you really arent going to find an electric board that can go much further besides maybe the evolve carbon but even with that board the advertised range is cut more than in half once you take it off road. Once you try a onewheel you can never go back!! Every other electric board you try from now you will compare it to the onewheel and see how awesome it is.

Hence my final score of 8/10. It's got a lot of drawbacks, mostly limitations of technological development beyond FM's control. But it's a board sport, and it's unique because you can't have quite the same experience with anything else. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this, I just wish I didn't have to spend so much of my ride thinking about battery, distance, etc. when I'd really love to just be in the zone tearing it up. I had a great time on some trails today and can only imagine how much better it would have been if I hadn't been mildly stressed out by battery monitoring.

• @iiikz said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

what ride mode are you guys using off-road with the plus?

i've seen some folks saying cruz was the best off pavement. that generally matches my experience, but every now and then i still seem to find a way to catch the front edge if the ground isn't pretty smooth.

Cruz seems to handle off-road terrain features much better than Mission, but it rides with the front a little too high for me to enjoy it for descending, at which point I usually switch back to Mission for the downhill.

All three modes are clearly missing something. A few tweaks and things would be almost perfect...

• My local trail access is too rough for the OW in general, so I use by burton backcountry backpack to strap the plus and hike in a half mile or so to the powder stashes. If you have a good backpack, loosing battery is less of an issue, as you can just 'boot pack' it or 'skin' your way out to the trail head. Good exercise.

• Takes a solid 2 months of constant riding to have a good perspective on this thing...

• @sonny123 agreed. Also once you realize that you don't need to treat it like a baby it becomes even more fun because you really would have to try to break it. Two minutes on YouTube will show you how much people abuse their boards and they still work fine and that in my mind is what sets the onewheel apart from every othet electric skateboard on the market.

• @sonny123 I agree with this statement, a week of riding the Onewheel is not exactly the best time to throw out a perspective even though that's fine and I am not going to stop you. There are plenty of active members in these forums that have been with Onewheel since the Kickstarter program, and those people should really be the ones with the most legit perspectives or reviews. Onewheel has come such a long way and if top speeds are what make people not like this board there are some things you should look into such as regulations, internal mechanics, etc etc. Longevity of the boards battery can differ with a 10 degree temperature change believe it or not so that's just something you come to realize with more riding experience as well. Understand that with the new Onewheel + Future Motion is working on a lot of these thread forums with making the Onewheel totally up to your custom preference but that is not something that happens within a week or a month. Let the Onewheel continue to progress, give at least a good couple of months of regular riding and I am sure you will come to understand better of why the board does what it does.

• @Snurfer said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

My local trail access is too rough for the OW in general, so I use by burton backcountry backpack to strap the plus and hike in a half mile or so to the powder stashes. If you have a good backpack, loosing battery is less of an issue, as you can just 'boot pack' it or 'skin' your way out to the trail head. Good exercise.

Yeah, that's something I'll definitely be doing. The battery pack I got seems to last at least 1.5 charges, if not two, so if I can just get to the golden terrain, I could handle carrying it out

• @BradK said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@sonny123 I agree with this statement, a week of riding the Onewheel is not exactly the best time to throw out a perspective even though that's fine and I am not going to stop you. There are plenty of active members in these forums that have been with Onewheel since the Kickstarter program, and those people should really be the ones with the most legit perspectives or reviews. Onewheel has come such a long way and if top speeds are what make people not like this board there are some things you should look into such as regulations, internal mechanics, etc etc. Longevity of the boards battery can differ with a 10 degree temperature change believe it or not so that's just something you come to realize with more riding experience as well. Understand that with the new Onewheel + Future Motion is working on a lot of these thread forums with making the Onewheel totally up to your custom preference but that is not something that happens within a week or a month. Let the Onewheel continue to progress, give at least a good couple of months of regular riding and I am sure you will come to understand better of why the board does what it does.

I am certain I will come to understand it better, and I'm certain I'll enjoy it. I guess what this review was really saying is: This is a great product and may well be a serious board sport in the future, but I'm pretty sure we're currently beta testing tech that has a long way to go. Other e-boards weren't even in the running for me for this reason. This is no comparison. Just an opinion on the plus so far, a highly flawed machine that I enjoy a great deal.

• @sonny123 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

Takes a solid 2 months of constant riding to have a good perspective on this thing...

If I have a different opinion in two months I will happily correct myself.

• @jeffmccosker said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

"the design prevents it from ascending to the realm of "extreme sport" as anyone who achieved something truly "extreme" on a Onewheel would probably noseplant at the end of said maneuver. Unless there is some crazy awesome video I haven't seen; Feel free to link it."

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/u4XUgx6t4q8
    https://youtu.be/B1b1aFtBCrA
    https://youtu.be/TXRnuUBMzbg
    https://youtu.be/OPJ9gOpfvBw

Since I've been riding a lot, I can see these and establish that some of these things are impressive feats. But honestly, they don't look impressive. They look fun, they look like things I want to do, and they definitely look like things I'll be capable of doing within the year if I keep riding. Now, I'm a much better snowboarder than I am a Onewheeler, but I can't even begin to fathom some of the shit the pros do out there in other board sports. It's suicide if you fuck up! I don't want to see people getting hurt, I'm just saying the upper limit for this is never going to reach that kind of place without a serious design change. You'd have to be a wizard to catch 15 feet of air and land on a tire, let alone do it while landing on a balance board.

Bottom line: On a good snowboard, I don't feel the board's limits. I feel my own and I know the board holds a lot of potential I don't have the skills to seize, and I love riding knowing there's always further to go. Hitting the limits of the Onewheel is within reason for almost everyone, because its limits are part of its identity.

All that said, I'm going to keep riding for now. It's fun, and I'd be fine with eating my words.

• @ZeeMox I feel like any toy you grow out of but the Onewheel I always come back to and ride. I have similarities like you and do a great amount of snowboarding and that's the majority of why I bought the board. I cant argue much, I mean the board really mimics a true respect of what snowboarding feels like and some people just don't understand that concept. Ride on though and put it to the test off road or on the road because in the end it serves to me as an option of snowboarding out of season especially when you live in the Mid-Atlantic where our seasons sometimes survive maybe 3 months!

• I dont have the plus yet but there are some downsides to it even though its awesome! Battery life can be an issue but that usualy depends on riding style, an example is that someone who rides alot less fast and goes about 10-12 at top speed will get alot more distance than what I can do when im riding on average of 20-23 at top speed (On the v1) tire pressure mide help with your range, You can just say that people doing jumps on onewheels looks lame its just your used to being strapped to your board and gliding down a mountain pulling 3s doing railslides and huge jumps and that is the nature of snowboarding because your board is alot lighter and doesnt have limitations like the Onewheel does. Snowboarding is a hell of alot funner than onweheeling but they both are awesome, Onewheeling is kindof a way to keep us together until the next season. I mean what Jeff McCooster posted about how fricken good he is at onewheeling is awesome and just proved you way wrong. Keep riding you will love it.

• @ZeeMox said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ahxe45 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox overall you're review is pretty spot on. I don't have the plus but have had a v1 for over a year now and some of the gripes and things you like sound similar. One thing I would disagree with you on is the battery life. I wouldn't give up the board over getting 5 miles on a charge. On the v1 I average about 6 miles on the street and 5 off-road but you really arent going to find an electric board that can go much further besides maybe the evolve carbon but even with that board the advertised range is cut more than in half once you take it off road. Once you try a onewheel you can never go back!! Every other electric board you try from now you will compare it to the onewheel and see how awesome it is.

Hence my final score of 8/10. It's got a lot of drawbacks, mostly limitations of technological development beyond FM's control. But it's a board sport, and it's unique because you can't have quite the same experience with anything else. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this, I just wish I didn't have to spend so much of my ride thinking about battery, distance, etc. when I'd really love to just be in the zone tearing it up. I had a great time on some trails today and can only imagine how much better it would have been if I hadn't been mildly stressed out by battery monitoring.

So recently I broke my phone, totaly toast cant be used again. Ive gone withought it for 2ish weeks and ive ridden the OW every day I have my senses for how far I can go pretty much down but one day I had to carry it home 6 miles... that sucked alot. But it was because i was in the zone shredding, you will get stronger by having to carry it home or to your car or whatever. I mean just go until your onewheel cant carry you anymore, get in the zone and dont worry about battery.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.