Unbalanced cell making OW+ un-rideable

• So I just received my OW+ today. App showed 100% battery and 0 miles. I stepped on it for the first time and it went past level and hit the nose on the ground. As a original onewheel owner, I thought the usual "I may have not started it level" so I shut it off and back on again. Same thing happened every time. The app now showed 0% battery so I plugged it in. Less than 10 seconds later the charger light showed green and the app now showed 100%. I check Cell Voltages and they were WAY off. 3.38V for all of them except last one that showed 2.78V once the charger turned green. I sent a message out to FM support.

I will be leaving it charging overnight and probably more like 24+ hours to hopefully let the cells balance. I have looked through the forum and read the recommendations to ride it until it has 0% battery and then charge it for a long time. This, however, is not possible because it will abruptly shut off after riding for a brief (less than 30 seconds) period of time and will not power back on. I have no way to drain the battery. I have my doubts about it balancing because it has not showed even the smallest change over the past 2 hours charging but I will be patient.

I hope to hear back from FM soon but am also hoping someone might have input or experience with this issue.

Thanks!

• @TimsterB123 This might be a long shot but maybe you prop the battery-end up on something, depress the sensors, and spin the tire freely, but to have an imbalance that severe is pretty odd.

• It might just take a few cycles of charging for 48hours, then ride til dead. Turn back on, ride til dead, Etc to drain. I'm sure if you do both of those things a few times it will come back to the right balance, pretty unfortunate for you though =/

• Thanks No and 8bit for the input. Yesterday I did try the "free spinning the tire" until dead but again, it hard shuts off within 30 seconds. The motor will not engage and the app says 0% battery. It will not drain the battery less than 98% so I don't really want to spend a month of breaking in the battery at a snails pace.

I want to hope there is some miraculous fix but doubt it. I at least hope when this gets all sorted out I can give some advice on this topic in case this happens to someone else.

I have extensively looked through old forums and found some similar stuff but without any solid leads. If anyone has an idea that I may have missed, please let me know!

• I hope future motion gives you a replacement board specially after the insanely long wait which they blamed on retaining the quality of products going out and not cutting corners! @TimsterB123

• @TimsterB123 sounds like the board needs to go back to FM

• @s2kboy yea...I have some theories about that....

@TimsterB123 for what it's worth, they have pretty quick turnaround for repairs these days, I sent mine in on a Tuesday, was riding by Saturday

• Update for you guys: Leaving it charged for an extended period of time did not help. I will be sending it back in to FM for repairs after emailing support. As much as I hate to say it, this is a blessing in disguise since next week is finals week. I should spend as much time as possible studying... oh well! The + sure is pretty and less beat up than my original! Wish I got to ride it even for 1 mile though...

• @TimsterB123 said in Unbalanced cell making OW+ un-rideable:

The + sure is pretty and less beat up than my original! Wish I got to ride it even for 1 mile though...

I've read great things about ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape: 1 in. x 30 ft., just ordered some to put on my OW's rails. One rail already scratched up a bit but I might be able to save the other! 🤞 Stuff is supposed to be super clear and durable.

• @TimsterB123 I'm having the same problem with new +. Rode it down to 50% day 1 then went to ride on day 2 and got overcharged error after a couple minutes on flat ground and no charging. I have drained it and left charging for 2 days. The cells wont balance and battery level is switching between 0% to 100% from one minute to the next. I tried to ride with it again at 100% and was able to ride battery down to 75% only to have it abruptly give my another overcharge warning and watched app jump from 75% to 100%. Board is going back. Very annoying.

• I may have similar issue although not as severe. Rode around 2 miles before battery got to 10%. Charged overnight and will see how far I get today.

• My first day commuting I barely made it to work and back. Next day I had about 11% leftover, but I drained the battery before charging overnight again. 3rd day I had about 30% left! I definitely recommend breaking in the battery by running it down as much as you can a few times and charging overnight, you'll see improvement.

• @8bit how long is the commute?

• It's about 4 miles round trip, so I knew it should make it no problem. When I didn't the first day I was worried, but was happy to see an improvement after draining the battery!

• Just got my plus in the mail today and put it on the charger. As soon as the light turned green and stayed green I checked the cels in the app and there was a .8v variance between the low and high cel. After 30 minutes they are all 3.36-3.38.

I think they supposed to be at 3.6v which is correct for lifepO4. On the high side but ok.

I think the manual says charge it for X amount of time before first use??

What are others getting for cel voltage ranges and how old are the boards? V1 or +?

Thanks

• @wr420 What you are getting is fine unless you are getting serious range issues. It should be charged and ready to ride out of the box. Just ride it down to 0% and charge it overnight on occasion. Mine was an extreme case and not a concern for most people. Nothing would work to balance the cells and it could not be ridden without an abrupt shut-off almost instantaneously after moving.

My V1 balances to 3.62

• After leaving it on the charger for 3-4 hours all cels came up to 3.62 and I got 4.5 mile out of my first ride with 13% left. Not great range but what you gonna do.

• Final update: Took two weeks to get my board back after sending it out but it is fixed and rides well. When I inquired as to what they found was wrong:

"After putting your board through our diagnostic test, we were able to isolate the issue to a component within the battery module. Our repair technicians replaced the entire module. Subsequently, your board passed the exit inspection and was test ridden before leaving the factory to assure quality standard."

Moral of the story, if you have the same symptoms I described in the original post, send it in.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.