lock unlock board with app

• I have recently received my OW+ (Gold Pioneer) and have been riding about a week. So fun! But I really need to be able to deactivate the board and not for the obvious and often mentioned reason of theft deterrence. Rather for safety and to avoid the awkward necessity of having to be a butthead in the neighborhood.
    When riding you can't stop and step away from it, even a few feet, even for a second.
    It's powers to attract the curious are so strong it's like people lose the ability to function within social norms. Twice, before I could stop them, people have stepped on to it and tried to ride it without asking. Once it was a kid with his dad standing right beside him. The dad seemed awestruck and apparently it didn't occur to him to say, "Son, ask before touching someone else's property". I came running back and asked to kid to step off and no reaction, even from the dad. I actually had to raise my voice.
    I often got questions or comments about riding my Ripstik in its early days but people always asked before touching it. I was very generous with my Ripstiks (loaning to neighborhood kids for days and even giving two away) but the newness, potential safety issues, and PRICE of the OW(+) makes me less ready to give out rides willy-nilly.
    The problem is I'm not even getting the chance to decide or to explain basic functionality or risks. It would be better if the board didn't operate unless I told it to do so.

• @FCH good points. Until FM adds this functionality, here are a couple thoughts. I never walk away from the board if people are around. I stand right behind the tail (or I keep 1 foot on the tail), making it pretty much impossible for anyone to hop on and give it a whirl. Alternatively, stand it up on its tail and lean it against something while you hover close by. For those that ask if they can try it out, I've tried dozens of lines and the one that works the best is to let them know (lie) that the board is about to run out of juice and you're probably not going to make it home (or back to your car), otherwise you'd be glad to let them give it a try- perhaps next time (lie again). Playing the sympathy card will get you maximum understanding and the least amount of backtalk.

• @groovyruvy I agree about the one foot on the tail thing. I never let the board out of my sight in public haha.
    //
    I guess I'm just incredibly nice, but I let everyone that asks give my board a try! Gotta spread the OW stoke! Usually the people are SUPER appreciative with big smiles on their face. OW is literally the best way I have connected with other people in my life! It's great :)

• @groovyruvy Or just don't turn the power on and tell them "Sure, go ahead and try it."

• @thegreck such a prankster :)

@slydogstroh you are a great Onewheel ambassador, spreading the love! I have let a few give it a whirl (usually with me jogging along-side them so they can balance), but a lot of times I'm a) not comfortable with the person and don't really feel like chancing it; and b) I want every ounce of battery I can squeeze out of the OW, and I'm reluctant to give up even a few %age points. If people are cool and respectful I usually oblige.

• I have a similar problem - there are almost always kids around and they impulsively try to step on and take a turn.

i generally turn off the power if i step even a short distance away from the board, and that seems to work pretty well. most of the ones who would try to step on the board are more impulsive than observant, so the fact that power is off is enough of a barrier to keep them in check until I can either help them try it out or make clear that they can't.

• In the shower this morning I decided I was a genius (ha ha) and had come up with an easy solution I would like to propose to OW. Ultimately a required PIN after physical push button power up would be my absolute preference. Its fast: when I step off I just reach down and push the button. When I come back I push the button again but now have to enter PIN on the app. Obviously this feature can be turned off in the app as well if undesired. But here is potentially a simpler solution to prevent nuisance tampering including for safety reasons which I need right now please (ha ha): COPY AN EXISTING SHAPE PROFILE, RENAME IT ("NOPE", "NADA" OR "NOT") AND SET THE MAX SPEED FOR THAT PROFILE TO ZERO. The existing profiles already have different max speed settings. I assume that would require almost no new code writing/programming (which I know nothing about so I'm just guessing at what seems possible and actually have no idea if this would work). There you have it. See I am a genius (again ha ha). Please make it so and let me start using it asap. Thanks
    Ps. if you agree please humbly help bring to the attention of OW.

• @FCH I guess I should have realized that others have encountered this same problem that I have had.

@groovyruvy so I typically do what you suggested by keeping one foot on the tail as I tell them about this amazing product (My typically explanation / analogy is "its like a segway you ride sideways with one tire, except this goes 20 mph and is much cooler.") . HOWEVER, a couple of weeks ago, I was riding it around some parking lots while tailgating after a soccer game, and this group of adults stopped me and was asking about the board. As I am sitting there talking to them with my foot on the tail, this kid shows up with his helmet on saying "I want to try it" (I guess he anticipated me objecting since he didn't have a helmet on). Before I could even start to explain that I was almost out of battery etc, the kid had put his foot / weight on the raised end engaging the motor sending me and the kid flying. The board shot off into some coolers etc luckily not into the group of people sitting in the soft chairs. We both ended up on our backs on the ground covered in beer! (I had a full beer in my hand) Neither of us were hurt, but man I was sort of in shock at what happened in just an instant. I laugh about it now, but it could have been bad. So where I agree with keeping one foot on the tail, be cautious of the overly eager kids who might jump up there before you can even react.

• @goodblake-eskate it boggles the mind to think that a total stranger would see the OW and decide they can just get on it without asking for permission, asking how to operate it, etc. Indeed it's happened to me more than once. That's the thing about Onewheels- people see it and they lose their minds. Like zombies they're drawn towards it and before you know it, they're standing on it and trying to make it go, usually with not very good results. My approach is to make it not possible for them to mount the board. I also like the suggestion some of the others in this forum made, to turn the power off. Even if they are able to mount the board it's not going anywhere.

• @groovyruvy have you spent time around kids - especially pre-adolescent boys? ;-) they operate almost entirely on impulse, and in my experience will more often than not step on before asking.

in all honesty, though, it doesn't help that those of us riding in public spaces have reached a certain level of confidence. it looks easy from the outside - and as has been discussed in other threads, is somewhat deceptively easy on first impressions.

• @iiikz I have kids (girls), and am intimately familiar with the lack of impulse control of boys. Spend 5 minutes at the Venice Beach skate park and I'm bombarded by them trying to persuade me to let them ride.

• @groovyruvy i have three girls myself - it's the neighborhood boys that I have to watch! ;-)

at least at a skatepark they may have some idea of how to ride one. we don't have a lot of skaters/boarders/surfers in our section of town, so it's pretty clear cut that i don't let kids try anything without my standing next to them (generally holding them up).

• @iiikz "Deceptively easy" is a good way to describe it. People initially think just balancing on it will be the hardest part. Then when they find they can do it with minimal effort, they suddenly think they have it nailed. That's when things can quickly go wrong.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.