1W+ has exceeded my expectations - need advice on air travel though

• (Renton, Wa / Seattle) Have put about 20 mi. since taking delivery on Wed. - top speed 21.5. I've had a couple of spills (same w/ some friends) but overall super impressed with the experience, speed and control.

For me I liken it more to surfing than snowboarding or skateboarding - and once you land the kinetic link in transferring direction (and energy) through your hips and torso it really does feel like an endless wave. I didn't think it'd meet let alone exceed all the hype and expectations - but to my surprise it truly has!

My biggest concern now is how to get it onto my flight next week - headed to Sand Diego and will be stayin in P.B. for a few days... will be really bummed if TSA (or Alaska) tells me no.

I've read through all the posts on air travel and think I'm going to try and check it packed well and fully drained (along with a note in the bag stating so - along with the device specs that Future Motion published printed out. Does anyone else have any pro tips or success stories for domestic flight? Shipping is so dang expensive and I'm not going to disassemble the thing...

• @Nickle_tech skip the risk of having the onewheel blocked from air travel and ship it to yourself.

• @groovyruvy- I travel to rad places on a frequent basis and am going to figure out how to work SeaTac to make it happen. The other (and safest) alternative is to show up a few hours early and try to carry on. If TSA denies me then I'll take it home and come back in time to make my flight.

Curious, has anyone done this out of SeaTac and if so we're you given any trouble?

Doubt it'd make a difference either way but I will have it sitting in the form fitting Mafia sling pack

• It's totally hit and miss. You might make it out of seatac but not be able to board your return flight. Best bet is to deflate the tire and break it down and put it in your bags. Only takes out 20mins tops.

• @Nickle_tech How's the Mafia Sling pack? I have been looking for reviews everywhere! Would you mind posting some pics of it that highlight more than the OW website does?

• @Nickle_tech said in 1W+ has exceeded my expectations - need advice on air travel though:

@groovyruvy- I travel to rad places on a frequent basis and am going to figure out how to work SeaTac to make it happen. The other (and safest) alternative is to show up a few hours early and try to carry on. If TSA denies me then I'll take it home and come back in time to make my flight.

Curious, has anyone done this out of SeaTac and if so we're you given any trouble?

Doubt it'd make a difference either way but I will have it sitting in the form fitting Mafia sling pack

Since I've only had my + for a month or so, I have not had an opportunity to take it through SeaTac. I did a road trip down the west coast and back up and rode it all over and it was fuckin amazing. Traveling with these things is the way to cruise around a new place. Please do come back to this thread and update us on how SeaTac went for you if you give it a shot. Highly relevant for others living in the area :)

• Does anyone (@groovyruvy ? @MichaelW ?) happen to know the width x height x length measurements of the outer box the Onewheel ships in? And is the shipping weight 39lbs?

I'm trying to figure the cost to ship it from California to Florida, but using my guesstimate box sizing, I'm coming up with nearly $300 for the cheapest one-way shipping (I'd measure it, but my shipping box is currently en route to FM headquarters because I'm getting a tire change on board #1).

That's pure insanity. I'd rather just buy another Onewheel when I get there than to pay $600 just for shipping.

• @thegreck the plain brown outer box (that houses the smaller branded box that has the OW inside it) is 33" W x 15.5" D x 14.5" H.

• @thegreck Shipping is best through UPS I believe. Should be about 50 bucks.

• Thanks @groovyruvy and @MichaelW ! $100 round trip is so much more doable than $600.

• Yeah right! I shipped a small box with a nearly-empty camelbak in it to someone through UPS a year ago and it cost me $40. Could not have been more than 6 lbs. Shipping a onewheel across the country is going to cost you a mint.

• @thegreck Shipping weight is 30 lbs.

• @thegreck @ZeeMox when I have sold boards in the past I used ups and I shipped one from Pennsylvania to California and it only cost me $60. That was the farthest one I had to ship, all others were around $50 and below using ups.

• @SC720 Oh crap, I was off by almost 10 pounds! Thanks!

• I'm not sure how people were able to get such good prices. I entered the updated info into the UPS pricing calculator and chose the cheapest service (4-day ground), but it's still $100 each way ($200 round trip).

That's better than what I was getting before, but still too high for me to justify doing.

• @thegreck

Check out FedEx home delivery if it's an option.

• Or smart post

• @thegreck I wonder why. But I agree that is still way to expensive to make it worth doing.

• 0_1495052784287_20170517_161520.jpg

@thegreck I just got an estimate from Pennsylvania to San Francisco for $61. Are you putting in the declared value at over a thousand bucks? If you are that could be the reason for being so expensive. I ship expensive things all day and I never declare the value half the time because even if you do UPS does not cover the full amount anyway. Also their terms if you read the fine print pretty much says that they are not responsible for anything that happens to the package so if you do have a problem you wont get your money back. I had this happen on a $40,000 part for a cnc that I was sending in to be serviced I declared the value and paid an outrageous shipping fee of over $1,000 and ups damaged the part and would not cover the expense to fix it. They told me some BS like they only cover up to $1000 no matter how much you declare the package is worth. Long story short it ended up being cheaper to pay the few thousand dollars to have the part fixed than to pursue legal action against ups.

• @ahxe45 No, I first declared a value of $900, then tried $200. Still $100 each way. Must be doing something wrong.

• USPS is much cheaper than UPS.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.