Long first impressions story and commuting in a city (SF)

• I received my OneWheel+ Friday the 26th May in Redwood City CA.

My wife had moved the package into the house, so when I got home it was waiting for me ready to unwrap.

I cut open the box, and tried to pull it out.. first impression.. wow this thing is heavy, a lot heavier than I had been imagining. I had read the specs, but not really taken in those numbers.

I read through the couple of steps it takes to get started and plugged it in for 30 min to charge.

I carried it down to the garage to practice. I figured I could reach the ceiling down there so could force balance the board if needed. I jumped on and found that the learning curve was very small. I was going back and forth fine, favoring going forward with my right foot and turning in the small area.

So far so good I thought... opened up the garage and rolled out onto the road. The roads by my house are super smooth with a few speed bumps. The OneWheel felt amazing.I couldnt stop smiling. I have a couple of gravel tracks nearby, so headed onto them and it was a dream!

I played around all weekend and the Monday as it was a holiday here.

Tuesday was my first commute.

I drive to the Caltrain with the OneWheel in the car. It moved around a lot as it is heavy and I am a crap driver.
    I get to the station and remember just how heavy it is as i walk down the line to where the bikes get on. Get on the train and look for somewhere to leave the OneWheel, not much room for it, so just stood with it between my legs.

Arrived in SanFrancisco lugged it through the station and out onto the road. Lay it down, powered it up and started down the street.

Man o man was this a different ride. Clearly I should have practiced for at least another week! The city roads are so bad that controlling the board when it hits a big crack or lump in the surface was a real struggle. I was not good enough to rock back and forth at the lights, so had to jump off and walk a bit.

Having cars go past me also raised the stakes, some get really close just to have a look at what you are riding! lol

Anyway, got to work in 13min, usually takes me 25 min walk and I am hot and bothered when I get to my desk. This time I was shaken up a little, but not hot or that tired. When I sat down I realized how much effort my legs had been putting in.

Lots of requests at work to 'have a go', but I turned them down for now. I started to think about the ride home around 4, thinking through the roads etc.. so definitely felt some anxiety, but I wasnt going to carry it to the station!

Story over..

It is really heavy and not fun to carry. If you have a long stretch of walking before you can ride, its tough. The standard grip hurts your hand. Thats why the guys/gals on here sell the straps.

Finding somewhere to put it on the train is also a pain. but not the end of the world for me.

Riding on real city roads takes a lot of getting used to. I felt confident from my practice but that was shot when I actually got to the city. The board moves a lot under your feet and you need to e ready for that.

Looking forward to tomorrow commute!

• On bad roads, bend your legs a bit and let your knees do the work, like this your feet will stay better in one place.

• @Gavin appreciate the detailed report. honest and very useful information. good luck. looking forward to hearing about your progress

• It gets easier. Re the weight--here is what I made to get around the issue of commuting on a propane tank:http://community.onewheel.com/topic/6526/carrying-onewheel/8

• Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I practice every night after work, look for different surfaces so i can really understand the feel of the board on each.

As I am new to the states, I am always hesitate as to where I can and can not go on the onewheel. Also, when I am in the bike lane and get to a red light, can I just join the foot traffic and follow their go light?

I really think its about confidence. I am not looking to break records, I just want a quicker, cooler commute and have some fun on the way.

Trying to figure the app out now.. I cant seem to find logs of my rides.. hopefully figure that out so I can beytter see what I am doing.

Cheers again

• @Gavin I always follow pedestrian lights when I ride.

• @thegreck said in Long first impressions story and commuting in a city (SF):

@Gavin I always follow pedestrian lights when I ride.

that's ALWAYS the best policy... for many reasons
    most importantly... so you don't piss off the local law enforcement folks or someone else walking next to you who might be an important person in your local government
    make people angry and laws will be made (or existing laws enforced) ruining FUN for ALL of us

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.