First Timer Thoughts v1 and +

• I had never ridden a OW but bought a Plus and a V1 one a whim a couple months ago. After riding around for almost 100 miles I thought it was time for me to post my thoughts.

I have snowboarded and skateboarded for 20 years. When I read that the OW was like riding Powder I gawked and said it was never possible. I can now say I was wrong, this thing is as close to powder riding that I have ever felt away from Montana’s snowy mountains.

OW vs OW+ - I agree they are both significantly different rides. I find the OW v1 to be way more responsive and “raw”. The sensor pad sucks however, I ride duck footed on my snowboard and do not feel comfortable with a straight pointing foot. I do not find it difficult to dismount on the plus, it is a far superior pad. The V1 also does not have the speed that the + does and that alone makes all of the difference. In my humble opinion the + is worth paying more and I am now going to try and sell my V1 to get another +.

Fender - 100% a must! Will never ride without one again.

Range - I am wondering if those out there who complain about range have actually ridden their OW over rougher terrain for the entire length of the battery… I think the range is perfect, my legs and feet are more than ready for a break after riding for 5 miles. The v1 and + both feel the same to me over bumps and rugged areas.

Commute - I mainly use my OW to commute to work that is 4 miles away, I go through trail systems, rough older roads, over train tracks and sidewalks and the OW can handle everything like a champ.

Overall, I firmly believe this is one of the best inventions ever made. Totally worth every penny spent. I have one tip for those who are just picking up on riding a OW.

When I was a child ripping around on my Steve Berra Birdhouse Deck I came across a pro who gave me advice that I have never forgotten and has saved me many times. I will share it with the audience here because I think it really relates to the OW.

He told me to always ride your skateboard as if you were about to hit a small rock and get launched to the ground. If you are a skater, you know how even the smallest pebble can get caught under your wheel and send you flying.

The key is to ride like you are expecting to get thrown off the board. This gives you better chance of running out or falling in a way that is conducive to tumbling properly. When you ride the OW it is imperative that you imagine your wheel coming to a complete stop at any moment.

More thoughts to follow… Big thanks to the forum for all your advice. Wish it was more active here, I refuse to use Facebook.

• great and thoughtful review
    thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us
    they are much appreciated

• pity there is no like button, so i'll just write it "like"

• @northwallace said in First Timer Thoughts v1 and +:

Can you elaborate more on this? I opted to not get the fender. I think it looks really cool but my understanding it it does not prevent rock from gouging the tire. And I hear it keeps you dry but im not using mine for a commute.

Talk me into getting the fender.

Great write up by the way!!!

• well that didn't turn out right...It put my reply partly in the quote :(

• @northwallace

Great post.

Yep, it's great that there's active FB group and all those members.
    I enjoy browsing but posting would give me a headache. lol..

lets keep the forum busy...

• @northwallace said in First Timer Thoughts v1 and +:

I had never ridden a OW but bought a Plus and a V1 one a whim a couple months ago. After riding around for almost 100 miles I thought it was time for me to post my thoughts.

I have snowboarded and skateboarded for 20 years. When I read that the OW was like riding Powder I gawked and said it was never possible. I can now say I was wrong, this thing is as close to powder riding that I have ever felt away from Montana’s snowy mountains.

OW vs OW+ - I agree they are both significantly different rides. I find the OW v1 to be way more responsive and “raw”. The sensor pad sucks however, I ride duck footed on my snowboard and do not feel comfortable with a straight pointing foot. I do not find it difficult to dismount on the plus, it is a far superior pad. The V1 also does not have the speed that the + does and that alone makes all of the difference. In my humble opinion the + is worth paying more and I am now going to try and sell my V1 to get another +.

Range - I am wondering if those out there who complain about range have actually ridden their OW over rougher terrain for the entire length of the battery… I think the range is perfect, my legs and feet are more than ready for a break after riding for 5 miles. The v1 and + both feel the same to me over bumps and rugged areas.

Commute - I mainly use my OW to commute to work that is 4 miles away, I go through trail systems, rough older roads, over train tracks and sidewalks and the OW can handle everything like a champ.

Overall, I firmly believe this is one of the best inventions ever made. Totally worth every penny spent. I have one tip for those who are just picking up on riding a OW.

When I was a child ripping around on my Steve Berra Birdhouse Deck I came across a pro who gave me advice that I have never forgotten and has saved me many times. I will share it with the audience here because I think it really relates to the OW.

He told me to always ride your skateboard as if you were about to hit a small rock and get launched to the ground. If you are a skater, you know how even the smallest pebble can get caught under your wheel and send you flying.

The key is to ride like you are expecting to get thrown off the board. This gives you better chance of running out or falling in a way that is conducive to tumbling properly. When you ride the OW it is imperative that you imagine your wheel coming to a complete stop at any moment.

More thoughts to follow… Big thanks to the forum for all your advice. Wish it was more active here, I refuse to use Facebook.

Dude I am in your exact position except 1 month before the board gets to me :/. Same thing, never rode or even seen the V1 in person and have the + on the way.

Super excited to share your experience as I'm a fellow boarder as well! Montana isn't too too far from just west of Calgary where I'd fly to from Texas every winter to rip up the Canadian Rockies :D

I also want anyone who read @northwallaces' post to really take to heart the advice about being ready to fall at any moment 100% of the time. As someone who's skateboarded, longboarded, snowboarded, wakeboarded, skimboarded, surfed and even windsurf/kiteboard (although those are slower usually so not a good example) ..it's something you simply pick up after you've fallen enough times on boards of any kind. You have to understand that you WILL inevitably fall and the more prepared physically as well as mentally you are for it could mean the difference between a few light scrapes, and a fractured skull (or something of the like) or worse, death. If this post saves even one life or prevents a bad injury I can sleep a little easier.

Enough serious, hurry up @Futuremotion with my OW! Gotta add it to the repertoire ;)

• Took out my V1 for the first time since getting the +
    Those footpads felt awkward. Definitely FM needs to offer same raised pads for the v1.
    Dismount seemed strange and jerky. lol..
    Still awesome though and take little to regain it back.
    But + all the way..

One thing about the + that I noticed, not sure if others agree.
    You need to be in complete stop to disengage rather than slow less than .5 mph.
    It does disengage at slow speed but not always.
    Now I make sure I lift heel once at complete stop.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.