Variable Time to Disengauge Motor

• One of the only issues I have with my beloved Onewheel is also one of my favorite features about it. The delayed reaction to disengauge the motor is awesome when riding at full speed, it is a critical safety feature. Unfortunately, when you slow down to a stop, it now becomes a challenge of balance on the tip of your toes for that same delay time. There are a few times that I have stopped on a wierd angle and lost my balance. Typically from muscle memory from snowboarding, I remove my back foot. This leaves my foot still over the sensor, resulting in my board flying off at full speed hitting me in my ankles or other pedestrians.

Here is my thought to this issue. Why not remove the delayed disengauge once the board is under 1 or 2 mph, so as soon as ANY foot comes off the pad, the motor shuts down immediately? Am I missing something or is this a visble answer to this issue? Does anybody else have this same problem too?

• Isn't it how it works already?
    I find that the faster I am going the longer you have to keep your foot off the sensor for it to disengage.

If you want immediate shutdown, you should be stationary.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

Cheers,

• @sabernat If they programmed it like that it would toss most riders off nearly every time they made a really tight turn, since it's tough not to momentarily take pressure off the toe or heel during while doing it.

• I dont think it would disengauge instantly when you are moving or rolling, so tight turns would not be a problem. But if you are stopped or under some low speed threshold, it should disengauge if any foot comes off completely. I have read complaints from this forum and have experienced it myself, but if you step off with the wrong foot, the board will take off at full speed and will take a while to shut down. I have even picked it up, and could feel the motor jerk as if it was still engauged momentarily. There has to be a threshold where both feet have to be contacting the sensor before it will spool up and accelerate. Once you are rolling, then yes, apply the delayed disengagement, I think it is critical for riding.

From my experience, I have ridden the Chinese version Trotter for a few weeks before I got the Onewheel. The only thing nice about that model is that both feet at to be connected for the motor to operate. It sucked at cruising speeds, as it would nose dive, but it was awesome at low speeds. We would be able to maneuver around the small office and if we stepped off, it would stop dead instantly. There were numerous coworkers and me included, that tried this with the Onewheel, and it took off from a standstill and dented many file cabinets and mowed over a small potted plant. Everyone is terrified to ride it now. And I will only ride outside.

• @sabernat

first, there are no sensors in the rear footpad, so there is no way for the board to know what you are doing with that foot. I can appreciate that you're fighting a muscle memory, but this is a new device, and it takes time to gain confidence. In college I had a roomate who started riding bikes again after riding motorcycles extensively, and it took time for him not to instinctively grab the "clutch" and actually lock up the front brakes. With practice, he learned how to ride the new thing.

secondly, you shouldn't step off with either foot until the sensor is disengaged. it's definitely something to be learned, but isn't hard. it just takes practice; slow to a stop and lift your heel. if you feel like you're teetering, jump off with both. it works well, too.

• Hmm, I thought there was a sensor of some sort in the rear too. I remembered my app notifying me that my foot has been disconneted and will shut down. I believe it called out the rear pad, but I could be wrong. It is a muscle memory from having my front foot strapped in during snowboarding, which I will have to retrain myself every season. I can stop and disengauge fine, since I commute everyday and do this at every intersection. There are those times that I am surrounded with crowds near a sidewalk to get on the road that I fear the most when jumping off since I step with my back leg first momentarily.

• @sabernat I'm quite sure there is no sensor on the rear footpad.

• @iiikz said in Variable Time to Disengauge Motor:

@sabernat I'm quite sure there is no sensor on the rear footpad.

You are correct. There are a set of sensors (2) in the front pad, one heel, one toe. The back footpad is just a piece of wood with cheap grip tape on it.

• You guys are correct, there is only sensors in the front pad. The motor will engage with just one foot on the pad. That is crazy. If I would change my product wishlist, it would to have a rear sensor to monitor if the rider stepped off. This would solve this issue. There would be a delay to cut the motor when riding at above, lets say 1mph for example. But when you are at a standstill and have to bail or step off with the back foot, the thing doesn't fly into a busy intersection at full speed. I am having trouble understanding what the problem would be to have a dual sensor monitor both feet are in contact. Unless riders are "amazing" enough to ride with one foot, this just makes sense. Help me understand.

The cheaper Chinese Trotter version does this with dual sensors and I have never had issues with it running away from me. Everyone that has tried both versions in my office felt the Onewheel was way more difficult to ride because of this reason. Every person that tried the Onewheel, had stepped off with the wrong foot, sending it flying away. Please dont advise me to retrain muscle memory or something, its a reasonable request. Everyone has a natural power leg that is used to catch yourself when you fall, that is never going to change. My power leg is in the back, always has been and always will be, thats how I ride. If my weight is on the front leg, it makes sense I need to lift the back leg to step off quickily. I know I am not alone with this, Ive read countless postings about others feeling the same way. All people say is suck it up and learn to deal with it. I think with some further ideating, it can be resolved pretty easily.

• @sabernat If your OW isn't disengaging from sliding/lifting foot off one or both sensors when slowed down under 1mph or stopped in place or is ghost riding off on you chances are you have a bad sensor footpad and replacing it should solve the issue.. none of what you described is "normal".. jumping or falling off the thing should leave it pretty much at a standstill depending on how fast your going as the tire doesn't freely spin when the OW is on...I really hope you figure it out before you hurt yourself or someone else.. good luck!

• @GlueBreath I believe the sensors are good and are working as FM designed them to. In any case, accidental step off will either result in doing the splits or taking out someone's ankles depending on which foot I happen to use. Every single newbie that has tried the Onewheel, had this same result. Even myself with a bit more experience deals with it on occasion. I've grown to be prepared for it, though thats not really the answer to resolve it. This forum is meant to offer a wishlist of features and mine is to never take out someone's ankles again, or dent that office cabinet, or do the splits at the intersection. I will gladly deal with the occasional "bad" sensor, if it rides the way I'd expect it to.

Comparing to the Trotter, given its known issues, is a great metric to be sure a $1500, American made hardware is no where close to a $700, Chinese built one. There is something to be said that out of 10 coworkers and friends, everyone tried both for the first time, had issues with the Onewheel taking off with their foot on the front sensor. Now nobody wants to ride it again. So say what you want about the Trotter, I enjoyed it and it was built just as strong, but for many reasons OW+ is certainly better. Also, not really sure who ripped who off, considering people have been making similar type things in their garage before FM began their kickstarter a few years ago.

• @sabernat Lol nail your dismounts and you won't have that problem anymore plain and simple.. and again your OW should not be taking off without you on it.. clearly that is NOT how it's supposed to function.. this forum would be filled with complaints if that was the case.. it really sounds like the sensor is either sticking or is faulty based off what your saying.. just because it works correctly part of the time doesn't mean it isn't bad .. anyways I'm not gonna argue I just wanted to offer some advice based on actual experience.. do as you like.. buy a trotter if you really think it's that solid.. let us know how it goes 👍

• @GlueBreath Thank you the advice, the reason the OW is taking off is because my front foot is still in contact with he sensor when I step off unexpectedly. I am used to having my front foot strapped into the snowboard and catching my balance with my rear (right) foot. For that split second, the board tilts and gains full speed before leaving my front foot and disconnecting. This only happens rarely and unexpectedly. I know how to properly dismount most of the time, but you know, I'm not perfect all the time. Btw, these forums are filled with discussions about the same topic, it was the first thing I searched when I realized this was an issue for me. Sure its something that everyone can be trained to not do, or it can be something FM takes as user research and iterate from.

As for the Trotter, I did own it for several weeks and commuted with it everyday. I could write a whole review of the pros and cons about it, but all in all, I was happy with it and it was fun but there are many reasons OW+ is superior. Besides this one issue, the Trotter always disconnected as soon as any foot came off the sensor.

• @sabernat

From videos I've seen, it seems to engage the minute you stand on it where you have to take off quickly.
    And the acceleration seem to be jerky.
    Would be great to have a brief review on the Trotter.

• @sonny123 I wouldn't say jerky but it is instant power. I was used to it and could respond quickly. It took a bit to get used to Onewheel because it felt sluggish with all the gradual easing it has. Trotter had none of that. You body gets accustomed to it either way. I could definitely do a review of both having ridden the Trotter and OW 1 and 2. I might start a new thread to do that somewhere in the forums.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.