New Rider

• So today is my first day with my OW+. I've never really ridden a skateboard, or a snow board, or any other board sport. I'm about as green as green gets. I bought pads and a helmet, because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I put about 9 miles on it today and got to about 13 MPh. I had a shit ton of fun. I have no relatable experience here so any words of wisdom on any of my points are appreciated.

Dismounting is challenging. It got better as the day went on but trying to keep my pant legs away from the wheel seemed to be a challenge. It got caught once or twice.

I'm right handed and it seemed easier to ride with my right foot on the main sensor. But right turns are significantly more difficult. Maybe it's that I don't trust myself. Is there anything that makes the right turn easier?

I was disappointed with the grip tape as the back one started to lift on day one. Maybe it's the Texas heat? Maybe the grip tape just sucks?

I'm going to have to spend some serious time getting comfortable with my left foot leading. My legs were rather sore as well. I was surprised at how tiring keeping your balance felt.

Thanks for reading, again any other comments are appreciated. I've read all the other newbie posts several times in anticipation of today.

• There is no reason to ride with your left foot leading if you feel more comfortabele the other way...
    The turns will get easier, just take the time to practice slowly...

• @Polle the only reason I thought to get comfortable riding with my non dominant foot was more for reversing than anything else. Do you not reverse very often?

My neighbor and I set up some cones yesterday and practiced going in and out. So I wasn't just trying to see how fast I could go. I'll do that some more because that seemed helpful.

• @Nothinbcwh since you are so new to board sports riding with different feet forward is a really good idea because it can't get any easier than now to learn it. I have been riding some sort of board since I was 5 years old and trying to ride regular compared to goofy is still a challenge for me because I am so used to goofy.

• @Nothinbcwh first off your pant leg getting caught, this was a problem for me too but I got a fender for the onewheel and that also kept rocks water and grass from flying up and hitting my leg and getting all over the pads FM makes a good durable fender but if your willing to spend a little more @njcustom makes some awesome fenders that look sick and are magnetic for easy cleaning. I think it is a good idea to get used to riding both feet, you don't need to but it's not a bad idea, the griptape on the plus SUCKS I have had to replace the back foot pad griptape and try and put the original front back on because they peel off, lots of folks here go straight to vicious griptape and stick some of that on it is really grippy and most like it. Riding goofy and regular (goofy is right regular is left) is useful for doing tricks btw, doing body varials and 180s and cool tricks shuvits and all that.

• @Nothinbcwh said in New Rider:

So today is my first day with my OW+. I've never really ridden a skateboard, or a snow board, or any other board sport. I'm about as green as green gets. I bought pads and a helmet, because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

First off welcome to the onewheel family! Like you this is also my first board sport.. I've been at it for over a year now and it definitely does get easier.. helmet and wrist guards are usually the minimum for safety.

I put about 9 miles on it today and got to about 13 MPh. I had a shit ton of fun. I have no relatable experience here so any words of wisdom on any of my points are appreciated.

Make sure you change the shaping mode if you start to feel push back too early as it will give you more room to work with and less likely to nosedive.

Dismounting is challenging. It got better as the day went on but trying to keep my pant legs away from the wheel seemed to be a challenge. It got caught once or twice.

As was already mentioned a fender would really come in handy for those reasons.. unless your always on dry smooth pavement.. and dismounting is the hardest part for most.. keep practicing it on grass if you feel more confident.. @groovyruvy made a video with 2 good methods for dismounting the OW+ you should be able to nail one of them down if the heel lift method isn't working out for you.

I'm right handed and it seemed easier to ride with my right foot on the main sensor. But right turns are significantly more difficult. Maybe it's that I don't trust myself. Is there anything that makes the right turn easier?

I also ride Goofy and riding switch will be a challenge unless you keep practicing.. turning at speed comes with time/practice same with u-turns.. you need to build confidence in the board.. it took me a couple weeks of daily practice going in straight lines to nail this down so don't get discouraged if it takes you longer.

I was disappointed with the grip tape as the back one started to lift on day one. Maybe it's the Texas heat? Maybe the grip tape just sucks?

The grip tape seems to peel up easier in high heat like 90+F.. you can try sticking it back down but it will eventually peel back up.. it sucks on both models of OW.. it likes to peel up more on the sensor side in my experience.. I have 3 pairs of footpads that all have a rip in the same place after just 1 week.. my OW+ footpad has bubbling but hasn't torn yet.. as was suggested you will have to regrip at some point and vicious is a really good choice.

I'm going to have to spend some serious time getting comfortable with my left foot leading. My legs were rather sore as well. I was surprised at how tiring keeping your balance felt.

Foot fatigue is normal and should mostly go away with time/constant riding and also finding the right shoes for you to ride in will make a difference.. there's a whole thread on here that's worth reading on the subject.

Thanks for reading, again any other comments are appreciated. I've read all the other newbie posts several times in anticipation of today.

Good luck!

• @OffRoadOW said in New Rider:

@Nothinbcwh first off your pant leg getting caught, this was a problem for me too but I got a fender for the onewheel and that also kept rocks water and grass from flying up and hitting my leg and getting all over the pads FM makes a good durable fender but if your willing to spend a little more @njcustom makes some awesome fenders that look sick and are magnetic for easy cleaning.

I bought the bundle with the fender and the bumpers, I was surprised that the fender wasn't in the same shipment as the one wheel. It finally arrived two days later. I thought that was odd that it wasn't all sent together.

I've been spending at least half my time trying to ride regular. I am far more comfortable riding goofy, but as with all things it takes time. My calfs really burn after about an hour of riding. I find riding regular gives a good rest to my left calf.

I'll have to look into the other fenders and the grip tape. That was probably the most disappointing thing about my + is that the grip tape started to peel day 1. Oh well though, what can you do.

• @GlueBreath thank you for the lengthy response. I've only had my onewheel for a few days but I've been on these forums daily since I ordered in April. It's awesome how welcoming this community is.

My fender finally came in the mail yesterday which was a surprise because I got no notification from FM that it had been sent. But I was surprised that it didn't come with the onewheel initially. I took a spill yesterday before it came and was thankful for my wrist guards as they took most of the brunt of my fall.

It is a learning experience and thankfully has been rather harmless so far. I'll just keep taking it over day at a time and hopefully learn from my mistakes. I'm 33, I've never done anything like this and I hope someone reads this and goods "damn, if he can, I can." I've not really tested out how fast I can go. I figure I will once I get more comfortable. Even just riding around the neighborhood, it takes most of my concentration when people start asking me questions as I'm riding.

• @Nothinbcwh ok, I understand. I was in the assumption you thought you had to stand that way for some reason.
    Good idea to learn both Directions. Will come in handy when riding in narrow spaces and crowded areas.

• @Nothinbcwh for this reason I wear bluetooth headphones.. sometimes I really don't want to be bothered when I'm in the zone.. getting the right headphones so your not completely deaf to the outside world is key.. and when I do stop I hand out the business card for the most part & answer the basics if I have time.. I hardly stop tho as there is too many shady characters in my area.

• @Nothinbcwh most everybody is complaining about grip or doesn't like how it was done, I hope FM realizes this and does something about it for future buyers and people who are having their grip come off, it wasn't an issue on the V1 but people upgraded to vicious grip anyway, vicious grip is like an upgrade because stock grip isn't very "grippy" if that is a word...
    my fender came a few days after I got my plus too I figured they would ship in the same box... but maybe it's just for like inventory counting reasons and stuff.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.