+ wobbles on concrete

• First time on concrete and it feels very responsive . Cruising along at 10mph and it wobbles back and forth. Likely me but was wondering what a good tire pressure should be. It's currently at 22psi. But it just feels unstable at 10mph like it's rocking from tire edge to tire edge.

• @simtech try lowering it to 18-20 psi and see if it's any different.. I know anytime I go above 20psi it's definitely more bouncy/responsive but takes getting use to especially going over bumps so you don't fly off or lose contact with sensor.. it should be stable at slow speeds.

• Same thing happened to me tonight. It was my second day really taking it out. Starting wobbling edge to edge quickly on the sidewalk. I'm not sure what my speed was but I know I haven't changed the tire pressure since I unpacked it.

• Yea a higher tire psi is pretty responsive, I like high psi on pavement but that's just me I guess, but higher psi on pavement or a sidewalk will get you farther, farthest I've gone at 22psi was 7.8 miles according to the app... higher psi on gravel where there is a lot of bumps kinda sucks because an unexpected bump could just ruin your week. So I would suggest lowering your psi until you get comfortable on pavement and test it and mess around a bit see what you like.

• Thanks for the replies. It came out of the box at 22. I'll lower it some and see how it does. I'm in mission if that matters as well.

Also nothing like getting solid dismounts at home and then riding up to a stop sign with vehicles approaching and forgetting everything! Sigh....wasnt too bad, the board tried to run away but my ankle caught the tire. Thankfully I was wearing pants on my way to the gym.

So far really liking this and getting some funny looks! Hahaha

• 14-17 psi is best in the beginning I think. I still ride 17.

• @simtech mine did that when I first got it and was to excited to check tire pressure... after putting it up to 19 psi, all has been great.

Definitely check your pressure.

• @simtech said in + wobbles on concrete:

Also nothing like getting solid dismounts at home and then riding up to a stop sign with vehicles approaching and forgetting everything! Sigh....wasnt too bad, the board tried to run away but my ankle caught the tire.

So far really liking this and getting some funny looks! Hahaha

That's what happened to me as well. Either that our people asking random questions seems to throw my concentration. "Did you make that?" "Is that electric?" "Is there a motor in that thing?"

I'm grateful for my wrist guards!

• I lowered the pressure to 20 from 22 and man it feels even more unstable on the road. Strange. Like having headshake on a motorbike..I've got some playing around to do. Granted I ride on the roads at night so maybe I'm adding to it since it harder to see.....??

• @simtech not to sound patronizing, but your first comment "likely me" is quite likely... I think riding onewheel uses different muscles for balance unless you're skating/snowboarding/surfing all the time anyway, and takes a bit of time to work up (out?). Keep riding, and I think within a week or two you'll notice a huge difference!

That said, psi has its effects as well.

• I think the wobbling has more to do with foot/weight placement than tire pressure.

• Everyone wobbles until they don't.

• @simtech Do you bend your knees when riding? Watch the good riders on youtube, they ride with bent knees to absorb bumps/wobbles.

• I do bend my knees..I lowered the pressure to 19 and about killed myself. Put it back to 22 and hit a new top speed. I know they say don't use an automotive stick guage but that's what I have attached to my compressor. So 22 psi is where I'm leaving it. Haha

And at 16.3 my new top speed, as the app told me and I got push back. Is that normal? I'm in mission and it says top speed is 19. I can't seem to push beyond the push back..or let me say I'm very very cautious so I don't even try. Push back is way more subtle than I thought it would be.

Some back ground in my board sports as well since ive never told. As a kid I skateboarded all over creation and attacked half pipes. Then went on to inline skates playing street hockey. Got orders to Alaska and snowboarded heavily for 5 years. And now the onewheel. It's been about 6 years since I was last on a board until now. Different beast all together I know! Enjoying letting others try it out as well.

• @simtech Pushback at ~16mph in Mission is normal.

• I have had some wobbles (on the +, mission mode) that have caused my to jump off the board. Both of the instances I hit a crack in the pavement. Seemed odd as its a route I have taken dozens of times with the Onewheel one and V1 handled it smoothly. There is something different (other than obviously they ARE different) in the way the + rides (compared to V1), as I (and my kids) have had several instances of crashes and or bailing. Haven't isolated it yet other than getting off mission mode seems to help the problem.

• This is what I have learned... If you try to turn and you can feel the wheel go onto one of the edges, lower the pressure little by little until that does not happen. You will thank me if you do as the ride will be so much smoother. This will be dependent on your weight a little. I am 195lbs and for me its pretty much right at 19psi on my Onewheel +. This will allow more of the tire to be in contact with the road as you turn and stop the wobble if its the tire pressure that is causing it.

I made a very quick little illustration of what I mean:
    0_1499893551218_tire pressure.jpg

Edit: this is also exaggerated just to make what I am saying clear.. For the normal tire pressure side, your tire is probably under-inflated if this much of the tire is actually touching in a tight turn. You are just trying to avoid the high tire pressure extreme.

• @PixelPusher The tire really shouldn't be doing that on turns though. That's how people end up needing a new tire in under 500 miles, because the sides of the tire aren't made to be ridden on and they'll wear down to the threads quickly if you do. Higher psi makes for longer battery life as well.

• @thegreck maybe you missed this part:
    Edit: this is also exaggerated just to make what I am saying clear.. For the normal tire pressure side, your tire is probably under-inflated if this much of the tire is actually touching in a tight turn. You are just trying to avoid the high tire pressure extreme.

I ride at 19psi because that is were the tire does not do what I illustrated on the left...

• So I have 500+ miles on my OW+ and feel like I am pretty proficient on it. I also ride some sort of board whether it be an Evolve or OW everywhere I go for the last year and half or so. With that said, there are definitely times when the OW feels like it is connected to my feet and just an extension of my body. Then there are other times when the board feels like it is slightly out of alignment or something and will have a slight wobble no matter what I try to do to correct it. I have thought it may have something to do with stance, but I'll try to adjust my stance with no luck. Also I ride essentially the same areas all the time so its not a difference in terrains. I know nothing about the motor / internals of the OneWheel, but I am convinced that there is something that gets slightly out of align or something that causes the slight wobble. It is very slight and so I have just learned to deal with it when I notice it. I am probably wrong, but I can't figure out what causes the slight difference in feel of the ride.

One question... Why does the OneWheel require it to be flat on the ground when powering it on? Does this do some sort of calibration or something? Would a slight angle during this possible calibration throw the boards gyros of slightly?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.