One Wheel+ not balancing out when I first step on it

• @iiikz said in One Wheel+ not balancing out when I first step on it:

@Antares14943 not sure if this relates to your situation, but I think one common cause of this is turning the board on before it is sitting on the ground (e.g., being carried, on end, etc). make sure the board is in the "starting" position when you power on, and as mentioned above you can use the "kick test" to ensure it's engaged before you step on.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that! Always start on flat ground and make sure your hand isn't accidentally touching the front pad sensor.

• Could it also just be that you are putting too much weight on too quickly? It has happened to me and I always just felt I didn't stay near to balanced for any time at all.

• what @iiikz said.

• This has happened to me at least 3 times with the OW +. Not sure why, I always follow the same proceedures but sometimes the front end just tips to the ground throwing me forward. I have always been able to hop off, but boy do I look stupid. I wish I knew why it did this, it seems random to me.

• Reasons the board does this.

1. You turn on the board before it is sitting on the ground (e.g., being carried, on end, etc). make sure the board is in the "starting" position when you power on,

2. You've left the board sitting too long while its on.

3. The board is off and you forgot you turned it off. LOL

4. Russians tampering.

Always "kick test" to ensure it's engaged before you step on. Kick the board if it rolls freely its on if it doesn't it's off. This does fail one in a hundred times but its pretty rock solid as a safety.

• @MichaelW Yeah I've never had this method fail me. But I have forgotten to do it and ended up looking foolish when I fell off the board trying to mount it a few times. Builds character.

• Thanks to everyone who has put suggestions in. Unfortunately I don't think it's any of the reasons we've come up with since this happened to me this morning midway through the ride a couple times. Once was at a curb after I was waiting for the light to turn green. Again it was after stopping at a door, getting off the board, going through the door, pulling the board through, and then trying to get back on again.

I've tried the 'kick start' and the board seems on every time. I've also been careful not to start it while in the air and to avoid contact with the pressure sensors. I'm not leaning forward too quickly, in fact I'm so afraid of getting tossed I'm creeping up on the balance point as slowly as I can.

Is my board possibly defective?

• @Antares14943 It could possibly either be a faulty sensor in the footpad, or even a bad connection. You could check to make sure all the cable connections are tight just to be sure.

• @thegreck - yes I did detach and reattach the sensor connections. They are as well connected as I can make them. When I first turn on the board and I tap the left and right sensors and they both turn the LEDs on with very little pressure applied.

Here is a video of me using my hands to start the board. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. I tried adjusting pressure and position until it started. Then using the same amount of pressure and keeping the same position, I repeated the movement. It worked a few times, failed a few times, and then worked a few times. Could someone please try this experiment on their OW+ to see if they have the same results? I would expect this movement to work 100% of the time given a few pounds of pressure.

https://youtu.be/q44FS5jYMaI

• I took delivery on my OW in early June. I had wonky stuff happening like you describe but accepted it. After about a week, the app would say my OW "thinks" that I was standing on the board at the time of power on and would go into error 15. The only way I could get it to go away was to heat/blow dry the grip tape on the footpad. This would allow me to ride, but I had to do it almost every time I powered off to recharge. Happily, I called OW support and they provided round trip Fedex overnight shipping and repaired it. No issues ever since. :)

• To close the loop on this, I sent the board back, FM declared nothing was wrong with it, and shipped it back to me without any logical explanation as to what was happening in my videos. I was not happy to say the least. After throwing a bit of a fit, the team escalated to engineering and I finally got an answer.

If you start the board with your front foot at a diagonal, when you put your weight on your front foot, your heel comes up off the back side of the sensor for a split second, which causes the board not to start. The fix is to put your foot more perpendicular to the edge, so when you lean forward the side of your foot pushes down on both sides of the sensor panel.

I've requested that engineering put in a grace period on the front sensor so that if the sensor had weight on it in the last half second or so, that it still considers you to be on the board and that it starts up properly. Let's hope they commit to fixing it, as many of us probably have had this issue happen to them at least once and wondered why the board didn't start.

I also made a video explaining all of this: https://youtu.be/rnMut5_p4Bc

Thanks everyone!

• @antares14943 I had the same problem for the first couple of weeks until I figured out that you need to come up to level in a controlled motion, ie slower than if you simply stepped on it. I have no issues starting with front foot diagonal and sometimes even protruding beyond the top corner. here is a video - https://youtu.be/7wYgudhIQ1o

• @thegreck This happened to me twice just yesterday. Forgot to do the "Kick test" but next time I certainly will. I tried to get on, then just stepped off the front. I looked a little funny doing that. I looked at the power switch and I thought the ring light was on but the sun was pretty bright out. Will do that "Kick test" from now on...

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.