How long does FM's patent prevent new companies from coming to market?

• I kind of wish there was some competition with the Onewheel that would foster improvements to the design. I know there are some Chinese OW clones available but I don't think they are legally supposed to be sold in the US. Looking at the Esk8 market there are a lot of great advancements happening and I'm excited for the future of Eska8s. The OW has no direct competition and therefore has no real reason to improve upon there design, range, speed or weight. What do you guys think?

• Uh, bad idea.... teenager?

• @Rado I agree the range is not hard to increase the wight is not tough to decrease while possibly even making the structure stronger and the speed I know is least of the issues. I guess they already have phases planned for products to be released which would be viable for them as a business. Can't wait till they put a V3 put with 24-25mph top speed and increased range and reduced weight.

• I think this is an extremely good point. I don't believe other companies are unable to reproduce a similar concept device; however, i think the market is kind of funny.
    This isn't neccicarily an optimum commuter. It's big/heavy, and the mafia bag doesn't make it easy to carry (wish it could be worn like a backpack)...
    I don't think companies are trying to make a 'toy' over a commuter longboard. I really wish boosted or someone would try and get their feet wet in the single wheel concept.
    Onewheel appears to monopolize this concept, and the scary aspect is that the sport goes down with the company if it remains this way

• @shaka-wheeler
    Here is my speculation on the future of OneWheel.
    LoL.

The novelty of a one wheeled hover board will fade. Like fads that bring excitement for a season , OneWheel will suffer the same fate. Even die hards will find themselves in a peculiar group.

Who knows when it will happen, but history offers hind sight of what I'm talking about.

GoPro is a good example. Started like OneWheel.
    Good idea (everyone's gonna want one) to good product(let's make it better, no competition), to great product(bar setting , let's make it even better to maintain sales, competition growing), to excellent product(action cam to get, competition growing , still expensive), and back to great product (more competition, should i get it, Yi Tech is better,still expensive, no longer cutting edge, saturated market).

There are so many reasons why I think OneWheel as a commuter will not grow beyond my expectations.

My speculations may have derived from questions.

Who's buying it?
    Who can afford it?
    How many OW's been sold (saturation)?
    What rate are they being produced?
    How reliable are they?
    Is it durable? Longevity?
    Portability (travel)?
    Street safe?
    Kid safe?
    Elder safe?
    Crash consequences?
    Interest?

Surely patents can prohibit copy cats from producing competition but an innovative product is not necessarily influenced by it.

How about producing parts to build a one wheel in kit form?
    Hmmmm? Patents could be circumvented.

• @fruitygreen I understand your 'fad' perspective, but there is one difference. The onewheel requires plenty of skill to ride.
    Why has the longboard stuck around? It's a skill oriented sport. Lots of reasons but that's a big one.
    I perform many jumps and tricks on my onewheel which a longboard isn't capable of. I believe with enough work it can be lighter and easier to carry.
    The onewheel concept is a lot different than the hoverboard concept. If onewheel gets on their feet (like their competition boosted), then they can really push their product further.
    If anyone has done 1800 miles on a hoverboard let me know, but i don't see myself loosing interest in my board as it is a way to improve skill

• @shaka-wheeler said in How long does FM's patent prevent new companies from coming to market?:

@fruitygreen I understand your 'fad' perspective, but there is one difference. The onewheel requires plenty of skill to ride.
    Why has the longboard stuck around? It's a skill oriented sport. Lots of reasons but that's a big one.
    I perform many jumps and tricks on my onewheel which a longboard isn't capable of. I believe with enough work it can be lighter and easier to carry.
    The onewheel concept is a lot different than the hoverboard concept. If onewheel gets on their feet (like their competition boosted), then they can really push their product further.
    If anyone has done 1800 miles on a hoverboard let me know, but i don't see myself loosing interest in my board as it is a way to improve skill

I agree with the skill level required to use and advance with the OneWheel.
    Longboard may exist today , probably due to price factor (if we are talking about the non-motorized ones).
    So we are still talking about whos buying OW and how many?
    You may be a ripper who can afford it OW, but not all rippers can afford a OW.
    Your interest might still be there 20 years from now, but will there be new interest in 5 years to keep OW production going?
    Basic economics apply today and the future.

OneWheel need to diversify in products (footpads and other creative products) to sustain their growth.
    I am sure competitors of FM or OW are keenly looking forward to getting a piece of the pie.

• @fruitygreen I think your view on advancing is right on. Onewheel seriously needs to diversify the product for a more unique riding experience. I believe tires, rails, and materials could all be adjusted.
    I am also positive they can use better motors. I have a lot of experience with motors, and the onewheel is certainly not one of the most efficient motors around - not even close (and i'm also talking about the +).
    The onewheel would also be more efficient if they designed proper dispersion. The sucker runs hot, very hot. That hammers the efficiency of the board.
    They could allow more riding modes, and more adjustability. More footpads to personalize your stance.
    Running carbon rails is a very possible option, and different rail styles could be used for weight and other things.
    I think onewheel has TONS of room to expand; however, i don't really think things are going too well for them. You gotta prioritize customer service to get a fan base, and that part isn't neccicarily working out too well

• Here is a guy from 2007 with a "onewheel" with gokart tire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGbbag9dklU
    I think FM will have trouble if a competitor challenge them in court.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.