Pushback on the OW+ / Safety Limits / Top Speeds

• Hey all,

I get pushback at 16 mph on my OW+ in mission, it can be hard to push past this. But I can occasionally, and my max speed is about 20 mph. To me this seems like a safety feature, i'm not complaining.

My friend just got a new Onewheel +. We were both cruising together and we discovered that his board is much faster than mine. He does not get pushback at 16 MPH in mission.

I tried his board to confirm this and indeedy, I can cruise at 19 mph with no pushback on mission. I was nervous to go any faster--and very surprised.

We were playing around and he was trying to see how far he could push his board when all of a sudden he nose-dived. I was watching the whole thing. The motor just cut out and he landed hard on his forearms. He must have been going 20 MPH.

I was watching his fall, and of course, we aren’t’ going to try to duplicate that. Maybe he pushed the board too hard or something, but his board wasn’t pushing back at all. I can double/triple confirm his board is significantly faster. So, there is that very definitive difference between the boards.

And both have firmware 4001.

My questions for you guys are:

1. Have you ever experienced anything like this? Have you tried another OW+ besides your own and had it push back differently, for the same digital shaping?
    2. What speed do you get push back, on your OW+, in mission?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your responses.

• Justin

• @Corlux

1. I have not tried anyone elses board or been side by side with anyone... so not much help there
    2. In mission I get push back around 16 mph +/- .5 mph typically

Do you know the order numbers and/or ship dates for the two boards?

• Thank you! That is positive confirmation that there should be pushback around 16 mph. Anybody else?

My ship date was April 15. Order number 784X.

My friends ship date was 28 June. Order number 1113X.

• I get almost no pushback while riding in mission, getting it up to 22-23mph according to the app. Bummer is I have nosedived twice. Once I was able to run it out and it was scary but fine. The second time my nose hit the ground, I leaned back hard and over-corrected, scraping the tail and making the board fly out sideways from underneath me. I landed on my back/ hand HARD and one fractured wrist and a pink cast later I am still riding, just a bit more carefully...for now.

Wouldn't mind just a bit more pushback at top speed to make sure this a one-time thing.

• So I had trouble with extreme complete nose dives where you hit the ground before you even realize what is happening kind. Here is copy from another thread describing my early experience with my OneWheel +

"When I first got my Plus, there was a noticeable little click noise I used to hear coming from the motor while riding. Also I never felt any pushback in the beginning when I could hear this noise. I had a few nose dives and never felt any pushback prior. Then I put it in Sequoia mode as I was determined to feel this "pushback" that people had referenced and hadn't felt on my OW. Initially, I didn't feel anything in Sequoia either and suddenly out of no where pushback started. I had been going the same speeds prior in the same modes but never felt the pushback. I am convinced that riding hard in Sequoia finally adjusted something in the motor that was out of align preventing pushback. I switched it to Mission after this and suddenly started feeling pushback there too. Since this day, I have not noticed the little click I used to hear coming from the motor, and I have not had any nose dives like I had the first few weeks I had it. I have had nosedives, but they seem much less severe like the motor was still trying to hold me up versus just complete stop and dump off the front nosedives. Again i know nothing about the internals of the OneWheel so this theory could be completely wrong. Initially, I thought it was user error(as I am sure many of you do / still do), but now that I have 500+ miles, I feel that there was something slightly out of whack when I first got my plus."

Has your buddy noticed pushback on his plus in any of the modes? I'm curious if he tried to force pushback in Sequoia if it would then start pushing back in Mission as it did for me.

Good luck to him as not feeling pushback and then nosedives that come with it are no fun to the point where I considered giving up the OneWheel due to unpredictable face plant nosedives that were quite unsettling.

• This is something lots of us have experienced with new boards. For some reason pushback seems to need to become 'aware'.. I ended up trying the advice about mode switching, and it worked good.

Frankly, the + is a damned hazard until it's both been connected to the app and mode cycled until pushback is activated.

shrug My internal speedometer is now limited to about 16-17 mph. Don't need to go faster, that's kicking on plenty fast and those extra couple MPH hurt way too often.

• @OW-Miami Definitely agree that the extra speed is not worth the risk. I would love to be able to cruise around at about 20 mph, but it's not worth pushing through the pushback and risk falling.

• @Corlux Speaking from direct experience, I'm pretty sure body weight, terrain, and rider aggressiveness contributes to the variability of nosedives. I love this board and hope OW sees your post and responds. This problem was present in V1 and in v2 boards. If this forum is any guide, there is lots of confusion and frustration around push-back and unexplained nosedives. (see @kbern post here for an 11 mph V1 nosedive that was recorded on camera http://community.onewheel.com/topic/347/thrown-off-after-nosedive-with-no-pushback-warning-nose-dive-nose-dive )
    I usually get push-back at 16 mph but routinely push through and usually cruise at 19" mph. (max for me was 20.6 mph) I pushed through past 16 mph all the time until I had my first and only nose dive, and now i'm pretty concerned about pushing past 16, which is a big bummer for me. Fear of nose-dive has changed the way I ride. :(
    I had 108 miles on my board when I nosedived... so, perhaps, I was feeling a little too confident when I nose-dived at about 11 miles in hour with no push back or warning at all. During that ride, I noticed that the board was pushing back at lower speeds with a higher degree of back incline, so that should have been my clue that I was riding harder than usual. (I was riding with a friend who had a boosted board so I was riding in a more competitive fashion :) ) Anyway, my board nosedived and I had not even hit 16 mph.
    I sent my logs to support thinking there must be a malfunction, then called support and spoke to Carly. The board did not shut off and there was no error code flashing. She found no error codes or malfunction in the log. She thinks I was just leaning on the front too hard, which is certainly possible, but given the unpredictability, this accident certainly gives me pause about riding past any pushback.
    I wish a OW engineer would respond on this forum and let us know what the thinking is around push-back and these, fairly common nose dives with experienced riders. If the max speed of the OW is 19, I'm not sure why we get push-back at 16. The advertised speed is 19. Why does OW want their riders to get push back 16.5 mph on their way to the top speed of 19. Push back at 16 gives us no idea if the board is having trouble based on weight or terrain to avoid nose dive.
    My 2 cents for OW engineering: I'd like to see OW get rid of push-back completely--at any speed. The energy it takes the OW to tilt the rider back would be better used to control out of the terrain issue, aggressive leaning, or speed situation that is driving close to OW limits. Put another way, OW should just warn the rider via the app, or with a buzzer/warning/noise built into the board if the rider is within approx 85 or 90% of OW limits. That would give the rider the space he/she needs to correct BEFORE nosedive.

• @BrentWhitfield agreed that body weight, terrain, and rider aggressiveness contribute to the variability of nosedives. Other factors such as wind gusts and overbent knees can also play a role. I watched @kbern 's post and although you don't see it, you can hear the nosedive coming. You don't see it because he fights pushback really well and as a result the nose doesn't tilt back, but you can hear that sound from the motor, and that's the sound of the board telling you it's reached its max capacity (at which point you're essentially coasting). With more experience, it's that sound- and the accompanying feeling- that becomes the clue you're about to nosedive. I've been riding for 2 years and most of my painful nosedives happened during the first 6 months as I was becoming one with the board. I still nosedive on occasion, but now, most of the time I'm able to run it out. There's always a possibility there's a malfunction with the board, footpads, etc that triggers a nosedive, but most of the time it's 'rider error' and making that one small adjustment fixes it. As for why there's pushback, FM is limiting the top speed of board and pushback at a lower speed is the warning that you're approaching the limit. I like your idea of getting rid of pushback in favor of a rider warning, but there may be liability issues that are guiding FMs decisions, so they may prefer a more 'active braking' approach.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.