Over regeneration error - battery still at 100% after 11% usage

• The only way is to go off cell voltage, I know I'm dead at around 2.8v per cell

• @readysetawesome really !? Thanks for the tip! I will try!

• Bros for us slower learners here, what is it we learned? I'm not clear :) PS what is 'usage' showing?

• @groovyruvy said in Over regeneration error - battery still at 100% after 11% usage:

Bros for us slower learners here, what is it we learned? I'm not clear :) PS what is 'usage' showing?

Learned to use cell voltage as "the truth" for remaining battery.

I haven't seen what my usage bar looks like after riding but I need to start paying attention. Doesn't show up on the Apple Watch.... bummer.

• @groovyruvy usage tells you how many % of your battery’s full charge have been consumed on this trip (since the board was switched on). Knowing this you can start with a fully charged board (ignore the app, wait for green light on on the charger), and as long as you don’t power off the board you know the battery will empty when usage reaches about 100%.

I believe usage is a reflection of amp-hours flowing out of the battery, which the app is counting accurately (can be seen in the settings screen) but for some reason it isn’t applied to the battery gauge in the same way as the usage bar.

(There may be a slight bonus from regeneration which you can also read in the app but that’s usually only 10% or less for me.)

• There is no question that battery life expressed as a percentage is not functioning as a reasonable person might expect and cannot be trusted at all as a result of this. It seems to report the battery is more charged than it is possible for it to, in fact, be.

If you charge to 100% and ride the ONEWHEEL on flat ground for a mile, there is no reasonable way for the battery to remain at 100%. It does this.

I think this may be considered a feature by the developers or parties who would be held liable in the event of an overcharging-related lawsuit.

Perhaps they already have a lawsuit in the making and just backed off the software really quick to avoid a class-action.

Perhaps the company should admit what they have done. Perhaps admitting what they have done may be presented by a plaintiff as evidence of previous wrongdoing.

In any case, I expect there will be no answer from the company as they have had plenty of time to answer already.

It appears the "bug" is the company "erring on the side of caution." Just my guess.

• @rk_d I doubt these issues are actively malicious. Chances are, there are bugs in the software, firmware, or hardware that they don't know how to track down and/or don't have a solution for. They are probably dragging their feet because they don't have a way to fix our boards, and the cost of completely replacing them is too high.

• @rk_d above I suggested a good workaround using “usage” bar in the app. I suggest you try it, it’s a lot less effort than trying to get through to FM. Most software bugs, which this clearly is, are honest mistakes and often the delay in having them addressed is a dysfunction of the company support apparatus, not engineers. This will be fixed with a firmware update, just a matter of time.

• @readysetawesome @fabuz @SeattleCommuter

I can confirm the Usage % is pretty spot on from a full charge. I used to get 6 miles per charge and tonight at the 3 mile marker I had used 51% battery. So those line just about perfect.

Today I also ignored the barrage of notifications about over regen after I had used about 10% of the battery. The board Never shut off braking or going down hill. So the warnings are false.

• @skyman88 exactly, all the app notifications should be ignored since they’re based on the broken gauge.

• @readysetawesome said in Over regeneration error - battery still at 100% after 11% usage:

@skyman88 exactly, all the app notifications should be ignored since they’re based on the broken gauge.

It's possible that the broken gauge could just be a small portion of users and that the software developers have absolutely no idea what we are talking about because most people don't have a problem.

All I know is that I don't trust it because it's clearly not telling the truth.

• I just wanted to get some feedback if any of you were using portable chargers when this started happening. I noticed issues after charging from my solar charger.

• @vspot415 said in Over regeneration error - battery still at 100% after 11% usage:

I just wanted to get some feedback if any of you were using portable chargers when this started happening. I noticed issues after charging from my solar charger.

Nope, don't own one. And this had started for me before the firmware upgrade.

• I've had this issue from day one with my ONEWHEEL+ using only the charger supplied. I am at 90 miles right now.

I'm pretty damn certain that the failure lies within the domain of responsibility of the company and not the user.

• I'm at 140 miles on onewheel+, using only supplied charge cable, been having the over regen errors within the first 10 minutes, and battery cuts out at about 6 percent charge left.
    I commute, and this makes it extremely difficult to anticipate when I'm going to run out. I have to shut the board off during the metro, halfway through my commute, so the usage trick doesn't help.
    I've had to walk the board for 20 mins or so several times because of the inconsistent metering. Can't be good for PR to see a tired onewheeler schlepping his board along the side of the road ehh?

• ITS FIXED! So charge current+time is the factor when it comes to the battery meter being off. My scenerio:
    -Ran battery down to 30%
    -Used solar charger+lipo to charge at 2.5A
    -Charge to 97%
    -Battery dies at 16%
    -charge with ultra charger to 100%
    -battery stays at 100% till usage drops below 25%
    -running battery to dry and then charging with ultra charger does not solve problem
    -ran battery to dead and then charged all the way up with solar charger with Lipo at 2.5A
    -becaue of the slower charge rate and longer time some how the battery meter and BMS are back in sync and percentage decreases perfectly

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.