Is riding with your back foot on "gas pedal" side ok?

• Hey guys, new to the onewheel+. Just got it in the mail last night, and myself and the whole family were taking it out for a spin in the neighborhood.

My gf was the only one to take a real spill and scrape up her foot and ankle.

The hardest part for all of us is stopping/dismounting. All of the instructions say to put your front foot on the "gas pedal" or powered side of the board, and then to lift your heel to dismount.

That felt super awkward for all 4 of us (3 regular and 1 goofy foot). It felt way more natural to lift the heel of our back foot (which doesn't brake) when riding the board "correctly."

My question is, Is it ok to ride with you back foot on the power pedal so that we can dismount by lifting the heel of our back foot, or would that be riding the board backwards?

• It may seem easier for now to dismount but the problems can come when you have accidents and your foot comes off the front pad first leaving the back on for even a half a second more could cause injury. There is a reason they tell you to do it gas pedal front. Learn the correct way. It won't take you very long. My two cents.

• I don't imagine there's any rules but it could go pretty pear shaped if your front foot came off and your back was still on the 'gas'.
    I sucked at dismounting for about 30 miles of riding. I think i'd try before i was really slow enough. try practice rolling back and forwards as slow as you can, until board stops, then lift that front heel while kinda pushing your knee up (it feels pretty wack at first).

• @keithers best to ride with your front foot on the gas pedal, at least until you get a lot more riding experience. Meantime here are 2 easy dismounts that work on both the Original and the plus: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9EGL1mWeM

• Thank you guys, all of your responses are much appreciated. Just felt super awkward for literally all 4 of us that were riding the board last night. My Gf (who is the most injury prone person I have ever met in my life) was of course the first to beef it within minutes.

Bloody foot and ankle, but nothing serious.

Will definitely force myself to do it the correct way after hearing your guys's feedback.

Also..I noticed their is a "goofy" setting inside the mobile app. My gf is goofy foot, do we really need to switch it each time she rides, or does it not really make a difference?

Thanks again

• @keithers the only thing that changing the goofy app setting does is to change the icon of the rider on the board to be facing goofy. There could be some other algorithms that get tweaked to account for the goofy stance, of that I'm not sure.

• @keithers Bloody foot? Was she wearing flip-flops or open toe?

• Learn the correct way. It was a major challenge for me too at first, but it gets much easier once you get it. The hardest part is that you basically have to be a complete stop which is hard enough to balance standing flat footed much less trying to stand stationary while standing on one toe. Once your balance gets better at a stop the dismount gets much easier. I still have mishaps every once in awhile and I just jump off.

• @MichaelW said in Is riding with your back foot on "gas pedal" side ok?:

@keithers Bloody foot? Was she wearing flip-flops or open toe?

Flip Flops...like the number one "no no" but she wasn't really riding she was just standing on it just seeing what it felt like. She went to get off and bit it...I was standing right there and went to catch her and missed.

• @goodblake-eskate said in Is riding with your back foot on "gas pedal" side ok?:

Learn the correct way. It was a major challenge for me too at first, but it gets much easier once you get it. The hardest part is that you basically have to be a complete stop which is hard enough to balance standing flat footed much less trying to stand stationary while standing on one toe. Once your balance gets better at a stop the dismount gets much easier. I still have mishaps every once in awhile and I just jump off.

Thanks, I'll do that. I think I'm going to try and learn on grass or softer surface. The cul de sac that I live on is kind of narrow and is all pavement

• When you raise your front heel, press down a little on your back heel to compensate. I find that solves the feeling of trying to balance the front of the board with just your toe.

• @IanJohnson said in Is riding with your back foot on "gas pedal" side ok?:

When you raise your front heel, press down a little on your back heel to compensate. I find that solves the feeling of trying to balance the front of the board with just your toe.

Thanks! I'm going to try that. I was also sent a link to a video which shows the rider sliding their front foot over the nose which looked pretty easy too...gonna try that also.

• Always front foot on gas pedal it can lead to big crashes if you do it the other way that you are suggesting, the "gas pedal" will want to stay up more if you hit a bump and the "brake side" will drop and if your using that side to accelerate than you are more than likely to drive the front into the ground after any big or small bump. This is my experience on the plus specifically the v1 is similar but a little easier for me to go the other way. And also if you don't wanna lift your heel you can sort of shuffle your foot all the way until it's like hanging off the front, I do that and sometimes you can just jump and land with a leg on either side of the onewheel, if you do it so you land behind it than it will probably tip over land get scraped up, but if your not worried about it than it doesn't matter.

• I've ridden with the sensor under the back foot for the last year and prefer it. I find that with the sensor in the front, it's easier for your foot to accidentally come up going over a bump. With the sensor in the back, you can unweight the front foot a little while still staying planted. I honestly don't understand the rationale behind riding sensor-front.

• @keithers Dude I keep hearing that there is a goofy setting but I have no idea how to change it in the app.. How do you do it????

• @tomflord
    It is in "App Settings" 3rd setting from the bottom. "Riding goofy"

• @jaconz thank you!

• @dshack Have you tried riding like this one the plus?

• @dshack
    I agree! I also switch about 6 months ago back foot on the sensor less nose dive,I mainly ride off road on the beach.!
    Videos of sand surfing on a OW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1rul4omb0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5nwaiuaBlQ

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.