Miles per bail ratio?

• I spent months obsessively reading this forum in anticipation of my new OW+. The amount of conversation involving serious crashes was concerning initially, and I fully expected to take a few major bails in my first days learning.

With more than 50 miles logged, I'm still waiting for my first nosedive or loss of control. I've been pleasantly surprised to find the + to be very predictable and sturdy, even at speeds topping the 20+ mark. Perhaps my healthy fear of the machine is keeping me safe, or maybe I've just been lucky or naive and my first big wreck is a looming inevitably.

I respect and accept the risks of this board sport just as I accept those in longboarding and snowboarding. My question is this: For those experienced riders with significant mileage logged, how many miles do you typically spend on the board before you hit the pavement and test the crash gear? I'm talking about those confidence killing falls I've read so much about.

I know aggressiveness and experience will vary wildly, but I'm trying to get an sense of what range is typical. Are we talking 5 miles per hard bail for some of you? Or are some in the hundreds of miles per hard fall range?

• yep. It's the healthy fear (respect) that is keeping you safe, though at 20mph, it's really just a matter of time, one good bump and you're eating shit because the board won't be able to compensate with power.

As for me? I ate shit HARD at 20+ the first hour or so I owned the board, and several times shortly thereafter.

Eventually I learned that abusing the 'throttle' like a d-bike is just bad business. The gas will save your ass doesn't work here, quite the opposite really, balance and restraint are the mantra.

So, now? I dunno, probably have ridden the last 200 miles or so without a real wipeout, had a couple run outs at mid-high speeds, but nothing serious really. (Well, I did get hit by a car fairly recently, but I just rolled over the hood and ran it out. Pretty awesome actually, came off without so much as a scratch, which was FAR better than the car did, might have been 2k worth of well deserved damage to the car...)

Crash gear these days is typically limited to knee braces and wrist guard / hand grinders, and I definitely recommend the wrist/hand guards, mine are now getting so thin another pair is in order, can't imagine the pain and flesh I've saved myself.

• @hotkarate the more I ride, the less frequent the really awful wipeouts happen. Within the first 3 months of owning an original I had 3-4 bad wipeouts, all the same. Then I started wearing pads and when the wipeouts happened at least I didn't get all chewed up. I do get more wipes now that I can run out, I think that's because I'm able to anticipate them just a bit more and maybe my recovery feet are moving faster now that I know the deal. I haven't had an awful wipeout for over a year (I have 2 years riding experience), but as I still ride pretty aggressively I do go down to my wristpads on occasion, maybe every 50-75 miles.

• When i first started riding, I had 3-4 complete face plant sort of nosedives when I hit the ground before I even realized what had happened. These had me considering if the joy from riding was worth the risk. These all happened in the first week or so with less than 50 miles on the board. I now have 550+ miles and I have not had one of those falls since. I have had times where the board would nosedive on me etc, but I have been able to run them out. I think this is largely due to respecting the board, keeping my front foot closer to the tire, and ensuring my weight is centered / slightly to the back of the board (do this pointing the front of the board down to go faster rather than leaning). By staying primarily on the backside of the board, it allows you to recover from any potential nosedives much easier.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.