What riding mode is best for beginners?

• This! Please put it on mission right away.

• @simtech said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

mission and nothing else. haha seriously I haven't left mission but one time just to see if anything is different. Other than push back starts earlier on the others im not sure anything else changes. I ride mission on road and off road. I guess the others might change the angle of the board some..not experienced enough to know. Just going by what I did once otherwise mission.

Thanks, I just went to sequoia because it was the slowest top speed so I figured it would be the easiest for us beginners.

So you guys definitely say mission huh? We can all get going forward pretty easy, the only part we are all struggling with is slowing down and then dismounting.

• @keithers the guys are correct, Mission only.

• @keithers said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@simtech said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

mission and nothing else. haha seriously I haven't left mission but one time just to see if anything is different. Other than push back starts earlier on the others im not sure anything else changes. I ride mission on road and off road. I guess the others might change the angle of the board some..not experienced enough to know. Just going by what I did once otherwise mission.

Thanks, I just went to sequoia because it was the slowest top speed so I figured it would be the easiest for us beginners.

So you guys definitely say mission huh? We can all get going forward pretty easy, the only part we are all struggling with is slowing down and then dismounting.

yep mission only until delirium comes out..then delirium only. haha

Get on your board with no plan to ride it. Just get up and level and practice staying in place. Then for like 10 minutes do nothing but dismounts. Get level then dismount and repeat for 10 to 15 minutes. it will help. Practice getting up on the board and staying within a foot square, that way no speed and your rocking for and aft trying to keep it in a tight spot. In no time dismounts will feel more comfy for you.

• @simtech said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@keithers said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@simtech said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

yep mission only until delirium comes out..then delirium only. haha

Get on your board with no plan to ride it. Just get up and level and practice staying in place. Then for like 10 minutes do nothing but dismounts. Get level then dismount and repeat for 10 to 15 minutes. it will help. Practice getting up on the board and staying within a foot square, that way no speed and your rocking for and aft trying to keep it in a tight spot. In no time dismounts will feel more comfy for you.

Thanks! I have a balance board here at my house which I can do no problem, which is why it's weird that I'm having such trouble dismounting. It's gotta be the way I'm putting weight on my feet.

Are you evenly spacing your weight on feet, or would you say you are putting more weight on your heels or balls of your feet? I think I'm putting more weight on my heels which is why I'm having trouble lifting my front heel. The back foot heel (I'm regular foot) is so much easier for me to lift.

• @keithers have you tried these dismounts:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9EGL1mWeM
    I have no luck lifting my heel either, which is why these 2 alternatives may suit you

• @groovyruvy said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@keithers have you tried these dismounts:
    I have no luck lifting my heel either, which is why these 2 alternatives may suit you

Thanks! I'm going to try that sliding foot forward one for sure. Also I've been trying to jump off forward instead of backwards. Thanks again

• The + is a bit trickier to dismount as there seems to be a bit of delay.
    Even now after having my board for over a month, I get occasional dismount failure.
    When you lift your heel and it doesn't disengage, keep waiting another second or 2.
    I found when you approach a railings or anything you can hold on to and lift your heel until you're nailing it hands free.

• So it seems like the majority of people are using mission. So I am going to change to that today, thanks again guys.

@Simtech, I believe I already saw delirium mode available inside the iphone app. I definitely have not tried that mode as I still can't even dismount correctly yet..lol

• @keithers said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

It's ultimately up to you how fast you go, so just take your time and don't go fast until you're ready. You don't want the Onewheel limiting your speed for you. There are only 2 ways a single-wheeled electric skateboard can attempt to do this:

1. It can slow down when you start going too fast, which would immediately throw you off the front due to your momentum (luckily, the engineers threw out this idea).

2. It can suddenly speed up in an attempt to get ahead of you to force you to lean back and slow down. This works okay once you're experienced, but it usually just freaks out beginners because they don't know what's happening and a lot of times they end up crashing.

• @groovyruvy said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@keithers have you tried these dismounts:

Tried the sliding the front foot forward method and it's worked much better for me. I still haven't had enough time to get comfortable/confident on here at all yet.

The video makes the dismount look so easy. I think I'm putting too much weight on my heels because the jumping backwards with both feet simultaneously is still a little difficult for me.

There is definitely a much bigger learning curve than I was expecting. This is coming from someone who doesn't regularly snowboard or surf though. I have never owned one of those two wheel hover board things either.

• @keithers I'm also a beginner and the best way to do the heel up technique, at least for me, and it was a bit of an "ah-ha" moment, was when I realized, when I lift my heel, I have to put pressure on the heel of the opposite foot. Essentially, if you have to maintain balance, you need weight on the exact opposite place on the board. EX - If you're riding with your right foot forward and you wanna lift your right heel (moving your front weight from a balanced front to forward leaning), you'll need to apply weight to your left heel (moving your back weight from balanced back to back leaning).

• @keithers for a lot of riders, dismounting is one of the trickiest things to get comfortable with. With practice it'll eventually feel pretty natural and you won't think about it much.

• @Kerltop06 said in What riding mode is best for beginners?:

@keithers I'm also a beginner and the best way to do the heel up technique, at least for me, and it was a bit of an "ah-ha" moment, was when I realized, when I lift my heel, I have to put pressure on the heel of the opposite foot. Essentially, if you have to maintain balance, you need weight on the exact opposite place on the board. EX - If you're riding with your right foot forward and you wanna lift your right heel (moving your front weight from a balanced front to forward leaning), you'll need to apply weight to your left heel (moving your back weight from balanced back to back leaning).

^^^ this is what I found helped me too and to teach a few friends so far.

My first day I went to a church parking lot. I used the parking lines like cones and carved back and forth around the lines to practice toe side and heel side turns. At the end of the parking row I dismounted. I then got back on the board and rode switch and repeated the exercise the other way. Back and forth, over and over. I did practice riding for 3 rides in that vacant parking lot untill I felt comfortable going elsewhere.
    I recommend practicing switch riding. This will make riding more fun, safe, and responsive to you.

Also after my first ride on some rougher terrain (grass and mountain biking trail) my carving skills and balance really took off. But don't rush into off road riding right away.

• @byromie you're spot-on. Practicing some of the basics and switch-riding in a car-free environment really helps to build a solid foundation for more advanced riding.

• I have had a plus less than a week and the best mode for me is delerium on all terrain, believe it offers the best control if you have good balance

• Agree with you on Delirium! I am a newer rider and I was hesitant to fire up Delirium because the name makes it sound like this. But it really is a great all-around mode; it's my default now. I was starting out before Delirium was available and I used Mission per this thread. Mission was great because you feel everything and it really helped me learn/understand the board. Think Delirium is a little more stiff/stable than Mission but is still super responsive. I liked Cruz as a beginner on grass/off-road; stable through bumps, plus it let me feel the push-back around 12/13 mph on smooth pavement.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.