Speaker Recommendations for use while riding?

• I have a Clipster Speaker which is basically perfect with the easy control buttons and the built in clip making it easy to clip it to my backpack or to my belt loop. However, the major problem, and why I am looking for suggestions, is that it just isn't quite loud enough when I clip it on my belt loop.

Any Bluetooth waterproof speakers with easy control buttons and a clip that you all use that you would recommend? Looking for one that is loud enough to hear from my belt loop while riding the OW. There are a ton of options on Amazon which is why I am looking for advice.

Clipster link https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Clipster-Active-Waterproof/dp/B00L3EYDQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501864990&sr=8-1&keywords=clipster+speaker

• I use the JBL Clip 2. It's decent and loud enough for me. I clip it to the front of my backpack. I don't clip to my belt loop because when you fall there is a good chance you will land on one of your hips. I've yet to crash and land on my chest.

• These: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JKJN972

Maybe it's not a popular opinion? But I find it annoying as all hell when people ride by blaring music from their bikes and boards....I've never been impressed and never enjoyed the experience.

• @firephreek I totally agree and have no intentions of forcing others to listen to my music. I ride a lot where no one would be able to hear it, and I turn it down when around others. However, I do use it at times as a way of alerting others I am behind them as I have found saying "On Your Left" typically results in people moving to their left and in my path.

Also riding with headphones, I find to be incredibly unsafe, and I would strongly discourage others from doing this. Not being able to hear is very dangerous when riding around cars etc when you need to be able to hear certain audible clues to keep you safe.

• @rado This is one that I was about to buy before posting this. I only clip on my belt loop when I am not wearing a backpack.

• @goodblake-eskate said in Speaker Recommendations for use while riding?:

@rado This is one that I was about to buy before posting this. I only clip on my belt loop when I am not wearing a backpack.

I don't mind others hearing my music and knowing that I'm coming up behind them.

Waterproof, shockproof, and really good quality speaker... we actually have two. Better than the Beats or Bose equivalents for sound quality, have a clip on the bottom or fit in a water bottle holder.

It has volume buttons on it but you can also turn it on/off and do volume from your phone... or just tap it to play/pause and double tap it to skip songs.

https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Wireless-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B014M8ZO8S

• UE Boom sticks are nice and loud. I pair two together for surround sound while riding

• @goodblake-eskate That's why I recommended those. They're built specifically to NOT block ambient/external sound and come highly recommended for bicyclists, etc... :-D I wouldn't ever recommend anyone to not be aware of their surroundings or to use noise-cancelling headphones.

The problem with speakers is that too often it elicits a 'Where is that coming from?!' reaction more than a 'On my Left' reaction. Happened to me today, riding along, I hear the sounds of reggae from behind me and immediately can't tell what side he's coming up on as I move through a narrow part of a pretty broke bike path. Do I carve left because I'm already slightly more on that side or do I pull right? I want to look back, but I'm just about to hit the bumpy shit and don't want to lose my balance shitshitshit why did I wear my oxfords and slacks to work today!!?

• @firephreek you actually downvoted my recommendation and respond with these walls of text? Not gonna read your spam. I assume you are an old fart who doesn't enjoy the big loud city. Get a life and enjoy it

• @powerwheel5000 Hey, it's cool man. When you're 12, everyone is old, amirite? Sorry for the 2 paragraph wall of text. When you grow up, you'll find that books stop using pictures. It kinda sucks, but you get used to it. Hopefully you have good teachers to help yout.

I downvoted you b/c the UE Booms are a bad decision based on ops needs. They don't clip easily to anything and the controls aren't really accessible/apparent. That you need 2 of them also says a lot about the quality.

In any case, keep riding. Maybe we'll even run into each other out here in the Big City, you can show this old doddering 30 something how to keep up. :-)

• @firephreek Was my paragraph about the UE Boom... only requires a carabiner to clip it on something.

The ability to link two together is a bonus feature but one is loud enough for a backyard when cranked up and the quality is excellent.

Just giving the OP (@goodblake-eskate) some real world user feedback as a bunch of people I know also bought them and I've yet to hear a complaint. Well built and sound great.

For controls, it does allow you to play, pause, skip and change volume from it directly.

• @skyman88 Ya, but I think I downvoted you too :'D

I just don't think Booms are the way to go for speakers. You have to use those small cheap carabiners and I've never trusted the clip on mine to ride around with. If it's holding up, that's awesome. But you're also asking OP to jump from a $40 device to a $300 device (2 Booms). Also consider the bulkiness, charge times, portability...ugh.

If it's really about the jams? Make it about the jams. Get some good headphones that don't kill ambient noise or ride with just one ear in when it gets crowded. You can get a solid pair for $30 and the quality and immersion is way better for long rides. You also don't get dirty looks from everyone else. They'll also last longer, require less charge, and be easier to stash. A sling bag carries all my gear and I'll go for miles and miles.

And again, it's not personal, I get the appeal. But external speakers for riders is just a bad idea all around. As long as I've been riding though, riders blasting music tends to be more of a risk than people realize.

1, It doesn't help with other-rider-awareness. It's too hard for them to immediately tell what side you're coming up on. If it IS that obvious, then you likely have enough clearance on the side you didn't need to worry about it in the first place.

2, If you're in traffic, it doesn't help cars locate you. They either won't be able to hear you, or it'll be distracting for them to try and find out where you are, putting all of traffic at risk. You should ride with the expectation that no one ever knows where you are so you need to know where everyone else is.

And 3, Nobody likes your music. If I'm trying to talk to someone I'm riding with? It's interrupting. If I'm alone? It's distracting, tinny, and a crappy song in any case. I'm not rocking out to it, I just have to suddenly watch you and even if I did like the song? You're gone. It's just not as cool an experience for anyone else but you.

Get some headphones, dig in hard on the ride, lose yourself just a little and rock out all that much more.

Now THAT is a wall of text.

• @firephreek so your recommended speaker is headphones lol

• Just a thought here, but I try to be very judicious about downvoting someone's comment, and usually only do it if the comment is rude, offensive or offering really dangerous advice. If I downvoted every comment offering a point of view I didn't agree with, or recommending a product I wasn't interested in, I'd be downvoting a lot :) But hey that's just me :) As an alternative, instead of downvoting, maybe consider replying back with an alternative point of view- I think the original poster would be more open to that vs. a downvote, which may be taken as 'you're downvoting me personally'. And likely it would lead to more information coming to light, helping the rest of us make a more informed decision.

• @kieren Yup.

"Can anyone recommend a chainsaw that would be good for cutting my steak at dinner?"

"Have you considered using a knife?"

• @groovyruvy It's a thread looking for community recommendations on a better accessory. The best way to represent group preference is to upvote/downvote good/bad suggestions.

If the group at large is pro UE Boom's? Upvote the booms and OP will feel more confident that they're a good direction to go in. But, if you've been there, done that, and recognize that it wouldn't be a good decision? Then it should be downvoted to discourage OP from also making a bad decision. If there's no preference, there's no vote.

I'm sorry/notsorry that someone took a downvote on a recommendation as a personal attack. If I called them a spammy old man who hates big city life? THAT would be a personal attack, and I would be inclined to apologize. At which point we'd probably have a good civil discussion full of mutual respect and then go for a ride and get a beer. It'd be pretty cool.

• @firephreek I hear where you're coming from and you make good points. Everyone's gonna use this forum in a way that's best for them, all I was saying is that I take the route of being reserved about downvoting, as I like the forum to be inclusive and non-judgemental, so everyone's comfortable sharing their views, whether or not I agree with them. PS if you're an old man at 30-something, what does that make me at 47 :)

• @groovyruvy A one wheel riding corpse? You use a cane to kick up? :-D

• @groovyruvy said in Speaker Recommendations for use while riding?:

@firephreek PS if you're an old man at 30-something, what does that make me at 47 :)

I like to take my teeth out before I ride around the property at the old folks home and I have no speaker recommendations because my hearing aid is broken.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.