What do you say to people who ask, "Can I try it?"

• as a rule of thumb, I never let anyone ride it who would have the nerve to ask if they can try it and I usually tell them exactly that. I say "do you know who I let try this thing? People who would never even THINK of asking". That being said, I've let plenty of people try it, (those who would never ask).

• @sam "Sure, give me your wallet." Totally serious. Had like three strangers all want to try it out and had them hand me their wallets and cash. Works like a charm.

• I've never had people ask me outright, but if we are in a somewhat enclosed space I usually offer them a try.
    I think of how bad I wanted to have a tiny taste of the feeling when I first learned about the board.

I can't imagine you being sued if someone falls from it. How's that your fault?

• @wmaciel liability typically follows the owner. Not saying you'd get fleeced if sued, but there is a measure of liability, hence some measure of risk.

• my reasons for "no" are usually: "you are wearing flip flops and high on crack".

• I used to let them but then stopped after a guy almost hurt himself.
    I just say, I'd love to but it really takes a lot pf practice and I don't want you to hurt yourself.

• Whether or not I let someone try usually depends on a couple of factors. 1. Are the male or female? Male = no 2. If she is pretty then Yes :)

I use the out of battery excuse a lot or that I am in hurry or something. I also will pretend not to hear them while speeding away.

The question that drives me crazy is "how much is that?" Well i actually also really hate the "Is that a hoverboard?" which depending on my mood usually gets the "F@$# hoverboards!" response.

• No. I just don't feel comfortable with the risk of them hurting themselves, or my OW, or someone/something nearby.

• I tell who ever is asking "no" since they need a helmet and other protective gear. It is usually a teenager or younger.

I'm also not a fan of letting a stranger ride cause I live in LA. Not everyone is trustworthy with unique and expensive things.

• Not everyone is trustworthy with unique and expensive things

That gotta be the worlds most optimistic statement :-)

• @usn said in What do you say to people who ask, "Can I try it?":

I'm also not a fan of letting a stranger ride cause I live in LA. Not everyone is trustworthy with unique and expensive things.

But you can't actually say that to them, so the question is what DO you say to people you don't trust without pissing them off?

• Buy your own!

• @thegreck I say 'I'd love to let you ride it but the battery is about to die'

• @groovyruvy Exactly, there's not really any response that can counter that. Friends and family obviously always welcome and encouraged to ride but just too much risk for reward for strangers and unknown kids. At best you put an awesome but temporary smile on someones face and at worst you are facing lawsuits and penalties that might haunt you for years. No good deed goes unpunished in especially the US/CA litigation industry.

• If it's kids asking, my response is "Do you have a helmet? Where are your parents, I need their okay first." Typically the parents say no way.

Adults, I just say "I prefer not, this has a step learning curve and I've hurt myself in the process."

• In La Paz and La Ventana, Mexico, unless I'm in a hurry, then almost always "Yes". I make them wear my helmet and pads, and take pictures of them on it with their phone if they want. They are such nice people in that part if the world, and I can see it really makes their day. When stopping for a bite, I've emptied all of the waiters (and the owners!) out of restaurants into the street as they all take turns trying it :)

• @hansboobie How long have you had it? Because at some point, you're going to want to ride it yourself.

• I typically ask to hold their phone and their wallet

• @thegreck "You need a helmet". I don't wear one - so helmets usually aren't readily available at that moment.

• I say that wrist guards and a helmet are needed because here in the us tha last thing you want is some kid with a broken wrist after you let him try it without wrist gaurds because if that happens being sued is a big issue, so if I have wrist gaurds and a helmet that fit them usually mine I will let them try and shift to grass and hold tight on their hands make sure they know how to get off of it and if they are gunna fall I can usually catch them but normally if they have huge hands and a big head I will say sorry I just don't want you to get hurt and sometimes I will say I'm heading home it's almost dead or I will ask if they snowboard skateboard or do boardsports and if they do I might let them try without a helmet and wrist gaurds but usually only in grass, not many but some kids can just hop right on it and start carving and one kid even got a 180 within like 5 mins of trying it... he said he never did any boardsport other than a little skateboarding when he was little... usually if somebody wants to try oh it's almost dead oh it's been acting up lately and I need to send it in for a repair ( that one probably works the best) or no dude sorry then point out like if they are wearing pants that your pants sleeve will get caught in the wheel or if your on a path and they have shorts the rocks will fly up and hit you hard and you can get a bunch of cuts on your legs or those are really nice not scraped up elbows and I don't want that to change. Idk make something up on the spot and if they seem like they might take it ride away teens that already have a couple of bumps and bruises probably won't care if they fall and I'm not saying that if doesn't matter but being observant when in a situation like somebody asking to try it is really good because small things you can point out as excuses is good!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.