Large circle heel turns still difficult

• Hello,

I've ridden my OW+ for a total of an hour, all in grassy areas.

I've made great progress and am getting comfortable with toe turns but still have a lot of trouble with making large circles on the heel side. I constantly feel like I'm about to lose my balance. Is this normal?

I'm standing with my feet at 45 degree angle. I tend to let my toes hang off a bit on the front and my heel hang off a bit on the back. This seems to make it easier to steer the board.

• @kohesion for only having 60 minutes of riding time under your belt it sounds like you're making quick progress! Turns will improve over time. Your feet need to be in whatever position gives you best control and handling over the board, maybe try a straighter rear foot with it laying straight across. Aside from that, for backside turns, if they're of the more gentle variety, if you feel like you're losing your balance you'll want to get the board moving faster, to provide the required momentum and resistance to counter your 'falling' backwards. If it's a more aggressive backside turn, bend into it and slow down as you go into the turn, then twist your upper then lower body out of it to pick up speed. All things that will come naturally in due time.

• @kohesion heelside turns are easier for some folks (including me) because the way our knees bend makes it easy to quickly shift weight in that direction. That having been said, it does mean that you might feel a bit more like "falling" because of the same reason: since it is easier to quickly shift weight backwards as opposed to forward, you might tend to compensate by keeping weight more generally forward in your "nuetral" stance.

As groovy alludes, the answer is to compensate the "falling" with proportionate acceleration and direction change. Try leading your turn with your shoulder.

Another key tip in early stages: try to keep your weight generally centered over the tire. Don't "lean" as much as shift your weight (think shoulder/hips) so that you can work the board almost like levers.

• I have the same problem - with my right foot on the back.

Try sticking your butt out a bit instead of thinking about your heels and you may notice the left turns happen a little easier. Time and practice will help you get better at it.

• I'm astounded you haven't completely mastered every aspect of riding in that amount of time.

• I find having my feet pointing apart like that is kinda uncomfortable.
    forget the board for a moment and instead simply stand comfortably on the floor with your feet in an appropriate distance. whatever is the feet position you feel most comfortable and balanced with.. transfer that to the board. ;-)
    BTW. give it time, generally speaking a master is defined as somebody who have spend 10.000 hours on a topic. be it archery, horsemanship or OneWheel. I'm pretty sure you will see significant progress after say 10 hours :-) Just keep doing it.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.