OneWheel Car Charger

• @michaelw What do you mean? I talked to the company that manufactures the chargers for OneWheel and this is the equivalent for running of a car cigarette lighter. GroupGets is just handling the payment processing and divvying up the orders to ship out to everyone.

• @jaconz I'll check with GroupGets and see if they can ship to NZ.

• Why don't you just get a power inverter from a truck stop? Something prolly over 300watts would work. Plug into car port, and plug in any standard plug into the box. Acts like you were plugging into the wall in your house. Power strip may be advised too and don't drain your battery lol

• @akraut FM had already blocked a guy who wanted to make the same charger like them (not yours with the car plug) for less than 125$...I can't remind well...I think this is why @michaelw asks if it's legit....

• I'm in if this is legit.

• 15 amps from a cig outlet sounds like a bad idea to me.

• There has been a lot of discussion on portable chargers in the past... I was under the impression that the power need for the ultra charger exceeds what is available via a cigarette lighter (using decent inverters).

If you have one made that is designed to work with the cigarette lighter i would expect charging time to increase.

• @jaconz They will ship anywhere in the world via the US Post Office.

Also, you should meet @enjoi408. He's in my riders group here in the Bay Area but is moving to NZ soon.

• @iiikz Right, this one is rated for 2A while the home charger that comes in the box is rated for 3.5A (Though I've found it tends to stay just under 3A for 90% of the charging cycle.) I'm guessing we're looking at a 40-60min charge instead of the ~30min charger from AC current.

• I am confused by this groupgets thing...so if I order one of these when will I actually get it? Is there only going to be 50 available ever? Why dont you just order up 50 or 100 of these and just sell them normally, if they work ok I am sure you will have zero issues selling your stock and then some.

• @cascadewheeler There are a few reasons:

1. Fuyuan won't work with anyone that's not a company with a Dunn & Bradstreet Number. (Think credit reporting for corporations.)
    2. I don't want to deal with shipping out 50-100 chargers and collecting payment from everyone individually.
    3. I don't have to deal with customs.

The timeline I'm shooting for with GroupGets is about 2 months out. It depends a bit on how quickly we hit 50 units, which is the minimum quantity for a production run. After we hit 50 units, they'll place the order for with Fuyuan in China. They will take about 2-3weeks to manufacturer the units and ship them to GroupGets who will repackage and reship them out to each of us.

• @akraut
    10-4 makes sense then I guess! Should order some 110 chargers while your at it for those that want an extra but dont want to pay 125$! (what a rip off)

• @akraut order placed. Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

• @bsulla said in OneWheel Car Charger:

@akraut order placed. Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

:+1:

I already have the 288wh UPS (chafon/ yellow box), but ordered one of these to use for backup. It is basically doing the same thing as the solar charge controller DC-DC using your car's battery/ electrical system. For the cheap price, it will be nice to have when I forget to recharge my UPS, or I don't want to use it all up. More convenient and portable than wiring up an inverter to use the ac charger. Could be used in a rental car, etc. Why has this campaign not met the minimum yet?

• @lieutenantglorp I think the real question some of us have is: will this device actually be able to power up the Onewheel, given the specs of a typical car battery; or will it not charge the OW because the car battery isn't powerful enough (I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk in specifics re: amps, draw, etc.)

• This post is deleted!

• Here are the
    Specifications:
    Input: Voltage
    12 VDC Cigarette Lighter Plug(standard car voltage)
    Output Voltage:
    58.4 VDC Female XLR Plug (required for "OneWheel" battery charging)
    Output Current:
    2A (Inrush current 15A for a cold start)
    Standby Power:
    ā‰¤ 0.21W
    Efficiency:
    94% minimum
    Over Load Protection:
    Auto recovery
    Short Circuit Protection:
    Auto recovery

Pros
    You could to make it portable.
    -Make your own 12volt battery pack.
    -Use a lawnmower battery.
    -Alternative setup to the solar charger upconverter.

Cons
    -Slower charge rate
    -Still virtual

• @groovyruvy said in OneWheel Car Charger:

@lieutenantglorp I think the real question some of us have is: will this device actually be able to power up the Onewheel, given the specs of a typical car battery; or will it not charge the OW because the car battery isn't powerful enough (I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk in specifics re: amps, draw, etc.)

There isn't any reason why it wouldn't work. It's just a step up transformer. The real question is how much longer will it take to charge compared to the ac charger. Even taking up to twice as long is reasonable when you are out on the road with no other source available.

• Thank you. I have order this item.
    Other people charge the OW with a e bike akku or batterie and a DC DC changer that make frome input 24 or 36 V the 58 V frome the OW.
    I try it with the Carcharger and a little 12 V Batterie from a Motorbike.
    Again...thank you

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.