Do not ride at high speed!

• @cameroni79 Late to this thread, but just checking in to see how your recovery is going.

• @philipkd doc says that the shoulder is about as good as it’s gonna get. I’m cleared for some light weight training. I’ve worked up to a ten pound dumbbell. The lung is recovered, but I still have a big gash in my side. Mostly it doesn’t cause problems, just when something pulls against it. Still going for long walks for exercise. Thanks for asking.

• @cameroni79 Alright Cameron! Happy to hear you're doing better.

• We have to talk about the bad and we can to talk about the good too. I Never had any issue ridin' high speed, off road or concrete....and delirium mode is just so insane...powerful and stabilty...
    Sorry to hear you get a big injury.Heal up fast !

https://youtu.be/QkcS6BiMRXM

• @offroadow OK, if you have an 11-year old sister, you are probably not a 200lb 6' dude. You cannot extrapolate your experience to every other rider.

As a 190lb 6' dude - I CANNOT ride at 20-23 without very real risk of nose-diving.

The OP has a point - advertising 20mph, then encouraging people to ride even faster is probably a risky marketing approach.

I promise you, as a very competent rider, I cannot play with the >20mph speeds, even on the best surfaces. I have done it. I have a broken clavicle to prove it.

Have fun as a small rider (my GF is 115lbs and can go much faster than me), but be careful about extrapolating your personal experience!

• @gwinntanamo I just broke my clavicle 3.5 weeks ago and am just starting PT I was probably doing close to 20 was fully crouched feeling the grass with my palm when I found a rogue pot hole in the pasture and uncoiled all of my inertia into the ground 20 ft later landing lead clavicle first. Broke into 4 pieces but still didn't need surgery. I've heard of alot of these splattered clavs lately. I've been riding OG OW for 2 years before getting plus. Had plenty of nosedives but never ending in disaster. Might b time to invent some kind of shoulder/clavicle protection for high speed trail riding especially.0_1507229610247_IMG_1598.jpg
    This is me sometime between leaving the board and hitting the ground. I'll post the video asap.

• @ashewheeler

This guy does extreme Unicycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifTfsgvL_E&t=136s

Scroll down to take a look at some homemade wrist guards,
    and protection he use for his upper body.

http://aijaa.com/a/jq5up6

• @gwinntanamo this is the truth. I’m 6’1” and 210 pounds. I believe they advertise max rider weight at like 280? What fm needs to do is adjust one number or the other. You can’t advertise 280 pounds and 20 mph. It isn’t realistic. I’m an athletic person that does quite a lot of running/cycling. Unfortunately the gym time also means I’m going to be heavy. Being 70 pounds under the max weight I felt like the OW wouldn’t have trouble moving me along. That was a very bad assumption.

• @ashewheeler That's an amazing photo.

I'm super sorry about your fractures. I feel your pain!

Yeah, I've looked into motorcycle armor for my shoulders, but I think I'm just not going to push it anymore. I was pushing 23 mph when I ate shit - I don't need to go that fast.

If you have the video, post it (morbid curiosity).

• FM needs to emphasize the "CAVEATS" of their product.

Its not their fault that injuries occur, but some people just dont understand "Murphys Law".

Or even the "Laws of Gravity"

Gravity is constant so I wonder why most people ignore it or even underestimate it.

Riding and traveling at high speed is enjoyable. Its the sudden stop that kills you.

• I'm betting most people here own a car that will go in excess of 120mph, maybe 140. How many of you have driven over 100?

What is lacking here, I think, is a better instruction manual. The Wiki is getting there, but people need to know how this thing works. One drill I make anyone do who is going to try it, is to have them try and balance in place with the OW turned off. That simulates what you are doing when you ride through pushback. When you are through pushback, all you have is your own balance and the tiny amount of gyro effect from the wheel itself. I have no interest in exploring that regime. I've spent more than my share of time in ICU as a result of high speed excursions (motorcycles, not OWs) but they're all been in full knowledge of what I was risking. It wouldn't occur to me to blame Triumph because I had on off at 140mph. I guess FM could put warning stickers all over the thing like they do on new bikes.

• @nicktulloh I often try to balance on OW with the power turned off. I think my record is like 2 seconds.

• im 6'2" and weigh about 180. i pumped the stock vega up to 24.5#'s just to see. (a tip i read on this board that came with no explanation except less surge/pushback). i absolutely love it. i feel so much more comfortable on the board. the carving is much smoother and im flying up the same hill on my road without the surge/pushback feelings i was getting at 20#'s. i was even tempting the board by getting going 15mph or so, slamming on the breaks for a split second and then starting a sharp carve on and off the hump in the middle of the road, with no care about keeping my weight balanced. it was awesome. im also so much faster on the board. the pickup is like my fiance who weighs 107#. the assistance from the board i struggled a little bit with while carving is gone. at least i can't tell its happening. i also tried coming up my driveway, think crazy mtn gravel driveway, and made it farther than i ever have before. i thought it would be way worse at this poundage. i haven't tried it on trails yet but i feel a lot more comfortable with how loose and fast the board is for me in mission now. it really made the concrete feel like i was floating. now im back to all kinds of false confidence. until my next spill brethren.

• @nicktulloh your comparison doesn’t quite hold water since cars and motorcycles don’t just fall over once you’ve over exerted the engine. I track bikes and cars. The closest thing I could even compare to a full blown ow nosedive is blowing a tire on a bike. Even then you can sort of ride it out if you aren’t in a turn. The ow nosedive is a phenomenon that fm needs to make painfully clear to consumers. Their language is woefully inadequate. Simple language like “If you ride faster than recommended the motor will cut out and the board will no longer balance.” Unfortunately this can happen at lower speeds than the dilirium advertised 20 mph.

• @readysetawesome I like the leaderboard for speed and especially odometer. I don't think it needs to be removed.

I think that anytime someone crashes, there should be a way to analyze the data from the board at the time of the crash. There should be a sort of virtual "black box" to help identify the cause of, especially, any unexpected loss of power at the contact patch of the tire.

I fully appreciate that Future Motion wants to limit financial responsibilities for people's crashes. But I would HOPE that we could ALL AGREE that if negligent software engineering results in medical bills for someone who is uninsured, however big an "IF" that is, there is a line where the company is going to be found to be responsible in a court of law.

I love the idea of a ONEWHEEL vehicle. But I cannot ride this vehicle if I feel that there is a continuing probability that the software that controls the power output to the motor has a flaw that could lead to me be injured or killed.

I can be responsible for my own input to the ride, but I'm not responsible for bad programming. Nor can I be.

Until we are 100% certain that there is no flaw in the software leading to the crashes which have been reported, I think it's wise to keep the speeds closer to 10mph than 20mph.

• @rk_d I’ll never take mine above low speed. Having received a “mortal” wound and being fixed in the trauma ward was enough to cure me. I just flat out don’t trust the high speed mode.

• @cameroni79 yeah! I am past my prime and stunts with motorized vehicles is a thing of the past for me. OW has definitely got some issues and inherent limits when it comes to fail resistance. It is , what it is and knowing limits can minimize our trips to the ER.

I can point out alot of the failure points of the OW, but it would just upset many die hard fanboys. Just enjoy and know your own limits.

• @bmtka The board "powered off". That's not rider failure.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.