NYC Riders - Help out a TOTAL Newbie?

• anyone here this weekend? I just got a OW+ this week, and i am objectively terrible at it - casually ate sh-t in my boyfriend's living room just going back and forth lol. anyone have the time and patience to hang out with me for a little bit and help me figure it out? I'm in ABC!

• Hey I'm not in NYC but got mine a month ago and had similar experience eating shit in my living room. Looking back, a) it's a lot easier outside in open spaces....indoors the walls come at you fast and easy to panic when not used to the thing, and b) find a level grassy/soft area and practice getting on, going a little, getting level, and jumping off with both feet A LOT. The one-heel-up stop is slick but it's the 2-foot jump off that will save you whenever you feel unstable or out of control. The learning curve is steep but quick....after only a few hours it really started to take for me. Good luck!

• I totally agree with @el_puente ... flat open spaces with no cars are best. It takes a lot of skill to ride indoors successfully.

• I live over in UWS, probably late to help this weekend, but during the week maybe?

Here's a list I made, posted elsewhere.

Wear all the pads for the first 100 miles or more

Work on dismounting.

Put your front toes at or just over the edge, make yourself lift the heel. Start getting into this position as you slow down, not when you come to a stop.

Jump off the board with both feet if you start to lose your balance at a stop. Better to have the board fall over than to spin out from underneath you and take out some poor kid. Practice this before you actually have to stop from taking out a child.

Pay attention and listen to your body.

Work on becoming more aware of where your feet/hips/shoulders are when you ride. You can help yourself slow down by
    pulling your hips back to shift your weight slowly.

Practice slow acceleration and hard braking. Braking > acceleration.

Work on your ankle flexibility/comfort with toe/heel side turns. Slow circles.

Flex your calves and ankles to help build up your stabilizer muscles. Don't lock them up, just engage the muscles. This will help fight speed wobbles and give you more stability.

Carve.

When you turn, lead first with your head and then shoulders, not your feet. Look in the direction you want to be going and go there.

Try do a squat on the board. All that wobbly is all the stabilizer muscles not working. Keep doing it.

Learn what it feels like to have the board push back when you get up to speed. If it starts to feel like you're falling? You're there.

• @firephreek i'm around! let me know if you go out at all :)

• Im in school out of town currently but pm me and when i come back to ny in the spring/summer we can link up. you'll have the hang of it by then ;)

• If you're ever in Astoria, let me know.
    There's a parking lot next door with a fence where you can hold on to train for mount and dismount.
    It's How I show people I know how to ride.

Of course, no matter how much I emphasize on taking it easy,
    few still wanna hit 20 mph on day 1. lol...

This thing takes time...

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.