PROPOSED SHAPING - One-Direction Mode - Why? Efficiency, Safety!

• @desperado I'm going to be attempting that today, for sure. But still, the unpredictable nature of it is spooky. Especially in downtown LA.

I don't need it getting away from me at a crosswalk and hitting someone on a wheelchair or getting under someone's car.

My thinking is that safety isn't something to be practiced, it has to be built in.

After all, wouldn't this maneuver be a whole lot easier if the only instruction was "push down on the tail until it turns off" ? And it did it EVERY time?

• @enigmizzle Thanks bud.

• @desperado I was doing the same thing for a bit. Worked well in 80% of situations I encountered in my daily commute.

• @ryancwynar Someone might want to suddenly change direction without the board shutting down, like if you start crossing a street and see a car coming too late or something, you would want an emergency reverse, not an emergency shutdown in that case. I do this for balance practice too, when I don't have a lot of space, just going back and forth as fast as I can within a 5 foot length, with the bumpers scraping the ground a bit.
    It should be an option applicable to any shaping, just a checkbox for "safe stop mode" or something. I'm sure they will start considering these options as soon as they get up to speed as a company.

• @desperado yeah, I agree. I think it should be an optional setting.

The only way to get a good quick emergency reverse option would be with a higher power motor. 2000W would make it so you could change directions pretty damn fast from pretty high speed.

As I understand it, every 750W or so is equivalent to about 1 horsepower.

• @ryancwynar The current motor already has enough torque to change directions much faster than it does, but changing directions on a self-balancing device always has to be on a curve, or it'll throw the rider off.

• @thegreck Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, I could definitely see that. All my gut feel for the relationship between power and weight comes from playing with high powered electric bicycles, but that's a much heavier object with a bigger wheel that's harder to turn, so it takes more power to get that acceleration feeling.

• +1 for releasing an SDK to allow community to develop custom modes

• Not really a big One-Direction fan. I mean they're very talented. I just don't like their music...but I'd go all bonkers for a K-Pop mode.

• I love the ideas put forth, ryancwynar. I imagine not releasing the SDK is probably a liability thing and the last thing OneWheel wants is for someone to release shaping that winds up hurting a rider or worse. Having said that, I agree that the dismount can be tough but for me the way the board's designed requires a specific type of sneaker:

Still I'm bumping and keeping the thread alive because I think it would be awesome for one wheel to consider offering shaping like this.

PS - You're right, I never go backward either.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.