If OW Only Went One Way, Would It Need a Footpad Sensor?

• I started thinking about this...

If OW had a unidirectional shaping/mode, would you need the sensor pad at all?

Because you could set it up to crawl in either direction up to a couple MPH, but it would only go fast if you pressed down on one side. If you tried to go FAST in the other direction, it could just be a signal to turn off.

If you're going fast in the forward direction, you want everything to be the same as it is now, pressing down on the tail should just slow it down. But when it reaches 0mph forward, it could just disengage.

This way, if you're coming up to a stop light or a crosswalk, you can just quickly slow down and stop without having to think about anything. You just lean back until it comes to a stop and clicks off.

When it's time to start again.. you just lean forward and it engages like it does now.

• It can't be one directional and self balance at the same time.
    Probably can be dialed in or programmed to what you're saying,
    but I don't think there's a need/market for it.
    Those adrenaline junkies who attack in one direction and land in the opposite direction won't be happy. :)

• @ryancwynar bro I'm confused why you'd want this?

• This post is deleted!

• @groovyruvy It's because my primary use case for the onewheel is commuting in a city.

I'm only riding regular footed, and I have to deal with frequent stops, cars, and pedestrians.

I want the extra safety of a dependable action I can take to slow down and disengage the board quickly.

If the board were set up so that it could balance and "crawl" in either direction, but only go fast in one direction, and shut off if pushed to go fast in the other direction, that would be optimal.

• @sonny123 I want it, and I would program it if I had access to do so. It would make it way safer to deal with unexpected situations in the city and get off the board quickly at crosswalks with pedestrians around.

I don't get into weird situations as much now, but in the first week or so, I definitely got my ankles banged up quite a bit because you have to balance before getting off the thing, you can't just slam down the tail and be off.

• I actually start lifting my heel off the sensor before I come to a stop. Instead of coming to a stop, balancing, lifting your heel, waiting for the motor to disengage and the dropping the tail and getting off. Try it out. The board will ride fine with only one sensor engaged until under 0.5mph at which point the motor shuts off. I find it so much easier to do it this way. I cruise up to where I want to stop and get off and it's just one seamless motion. No balancing and waiting for the motor to shut off.

• @rado

Indeed, works great on the V1.
    Tried that way on the + and had few misses.

• @ryancwynar

Braking would be an issue.

• @rado I usually rotate my front foot while coming to a stop to uncover half the sensor. It seems like it has to stop moving for like half a second before clicking off. Which means I have to balance it before getting off.

I keep going back to this time a guy on a fixie came around a blind corner and put me in a runaway board situation. What I would have liked to do is just decisively put my back foot down to have the motor slow down as much as possible and be able know it was going to shut off without having to think much. Instead... I was confused by the situation... wasn't sure how to abort.. jumped off the board.. grabbed the guy.. and the onewheel careened out into the middle of a downtown intersection because it was going more than .5mph and I wasn't on it.

There's a definitely a few urban scenarios you can't really "practice" for, the equipment has to be engineered to deal with knee-jerk scenarios, and there's just no way around that. Sometimes you don't have half a second to sort things out.

I do think it would be wise for there to be a shaping option that builds a safety feature around really digging into the tail to shut off.

• @sonny123 The board definitely knows if the wheel is turning clockwise or counterclockwise.

It could do all the same things it does now when the wheel is turning counterclockwise, including responding to aggressive input on tail side. As soon as the wheel begins turning clockwise, it could shut off whenever it reaches like 2mph.

This would allow it to balance and crawl in both directions and slow down speed up, the only difference would be in the case where the wheel is both turning clockwise AND the input to tail footpad is aggressive, in which case, it would be a forceful signal to disengage the motor.

• @sonny123 It could just be one of the shaping settings... call it... 1-way delirium.. or something. lol

• @ryancwynar said in If OW Only Went One Way, Would It Need a Footpad Sensor?:

@sonny123 I want it, and I would program it if I had access to do so. It would make it way safer to deal with unexpected situations in the city and get off the board quickly at crosswalks with pedestrians around.

I don't get into weird situations as much now, but in the first week or so, I definitely got my ankles banged up quite a bit because you have to balance before getting off the thing, you can't just slam down the tail and be off.

Kind of already can do this... Chris put a tutorial together a few weeks back showing all the different options. Worth the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3z1KvJLXPQ

• @skyman88

Yep, seen those.
    Great tutorials but man, those curb nudges are hard to learn.

• @skyman88 That's interesting. That is closer.

EDIT: Just tried to do as suggested in the video in grass several times. Didn't work. From balancing, get the whole front foot off and bring the tail down -- wheel spins backward really fast for about half a second. Not sure if it's a OW/OW+ difference or just my board.

I'd still prefer to do it from a unidirectional mode, because then you could literally keep both feet on the board and start putting the tail down while moving and come to stop -- and then restart without ever having to take your feet off the board.

• @ryancwynar
    Might just need practice. Seen OG riders and OW+ both do this.

Agreed this is different than unidirectional...

• No question, dismounting is the OW's biggest issue. I want this unidirectional mode. Good idea.

• @ryancwynar

Just an update, I messed around with the full foot dismount last night and it definitely does work... I spent a night practicing just dismounting the first week I had my board. Maybe give it a few more tries before declaring it doesn't work.

• @skyman88 I've been trying to figure out that full foot dismount thing for a couple days now. I'm still undecided about whether or not it's my board or me.

Even so, trained maneuvers still probably aren't the type of thing you would want to risk your bodily safety on. I ride in downtown LA, commuting to work, daily. So the OW is more tool than toy to me and I don't have much interest in practicing things that I need to make sure the thing doesn't run into people on wheelchairs or careen into traffic.

• @ryancwynar

How many miles "experience" do you have on the OW?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.