Push Back when traveling up hills?

• I've had the OW+ for about a week and a half. I've since put 70 miles on it. I'm an ex-snowboard instructor, I get inverted on wakeboards, longboard all the time, etc etc, plenty of board experience but obviously the electric component is completely new. I love this thing so far and want to continue to "learn the board" so I can fine tune it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what push back is. Is it the gentle and constant push up on the nose which changes your stance, or is the the jump in the motor when it is over-worked? I think it's the former but I also experience a lot of stuttering/jumping in the motor when going uphills. SImilar to hitting a short slow patch while snowboarding.

I've had about three nosedives requiring bandages, roadrash, the whole nine. I've since gotten good at running it out, and have had to do so about 5 other times. Every single time it's going up hill, and I believe I've gotten fairly good at listening to the board, however I feel there is no warning before nose diving when traveling uphill, just the sudden drop. I'm 6'3 225lbs which is a lot for a small battery powered board, and I think it's just having trouble lugging me uphill. Every scenario has been similar. I'm cruising along on a flat surface 12 - 18 (varies), then the pitch starts going up hill (sometimes steep sometimes gradual), I don't push it or lean forward any further, but let it carry me up the hill. My speed slows due to going uphill, which I respect, and don't try and accelerate, and then boom, nose falls. On steeper hills I get the jumping in the motor and slow down a bit, which fixes the problem, but on the milder hills, I don't appear to be getting any feedback. I've cognizantly slowed down further when transitioning uphill now, but have still had a few nosedives.

I would like help in identifying pushback when traveling uphill, or I think I'll just be creeping uphills.

Thanks!

• @brageorgia you're not getting pushback going up the hill. What you're experiencing is the inability of the board to keep you upright due to the work it has to do to move your weight up the hill.

The threshold between moving and nose dropping when going up a hill is very fine. I tend to stay in Mission, but many people are more comfortable moving to Elevated to compensate. The trick is to have a very fine weight shift -- and be prepared to nose down because you can actually recover easier on a hill than you can on flat.

But a fine touch is the key. My GF lives at the top of a very steep hill and it's took me awhile to get comfortable going up without grinding out. Even now, if I carry and extra 10-15 lbs of weight, it makes it that much more difficult. I weigh 185.

• Has anyone looked into putting very small rollers under the nose to make recovery more likely?

• I’m a new OW+ owner, too (27 miles on my board in 4 days), and I’m trying to figure out if what I’m experiencing is push back. I ride in Delirium all the time because I think it feels the best. I’ll be cruising along about 12-15 mph on relatively flat pavement and I’ll get some jerky sensation from the board, almost like the nose is bouncing up and down in a small waves about 3-4 per second lasting for only 2-3 seconds. I will back off on the speed and it will stop. I’m not sure if this is pushback or just very small inconsistencies in the surface of the pavement. Since Delirium has a top speed of 19, I wouldn’t think it would be pushing back on a flat paved surface at these speeds. I’m a pretty light guy (5’7” 165 lbs).

Can someone tell me if this sounds like pushback? I wish the manual did a little better job explaining what pushback looks or feels like. Thanks!

• @hoverlover @BRAGeorgia

The OneWheel wiki has a great section on riding: http://onewheel.wiki/Riding_technique

• @BRAGeorgia believe it or not someone has looked into putting wheels on the front: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552002329/glider-for-one-wheel. Not sure if it's being sold or not.
    @hoverlover what you're describing sounds like pushback. It kicks in before the board reaches its stated top speed, so if you're feeling it at 15 mph that's not unusual as 19 mph is Delirium's stated top speed. And as you weigh 165# you're gonna feel it more than say a heavier guy like me at 209#. Pushback is the board accelerating forward / nose lifting, basically telling you 'I'm getting close to the point where I can't keep up with you so if you don't back off, you're gonna either exceed my capabilities and the board's gonna toss you off; or if you hang on you're going to be doing a lot of the balancing yourself, as I'll be tapped out trying to keep up with you that I can't devote any power to self-balancing'. Pushing through pushback is possible- for a lighter rider it should be no problem to push through that pushback and get the board to 19 mph- or faster. The key is to know the limits of how far to push through pushback: push just right and you get some great speed and the full benefits of the software. Push too hard and all of a sudden you feel like you're free-floating as the self-leveling capabilities diminish (or evaporate). Normally I'd say what you describe is for sure pushback, but since the Andromeda update and the introduction of the 'Andromeda pulse' (a feature where you feel a surge in power- particularly over uneven surfaces and going up inclines), I'm not certain, but it sounds like it.

• @skyman88 Thanks! Good stuff. Still not totally clear on what pushback feels like, but it was either pushback or the accelerating feature in Delirium I keep hearing about. I'm definitely going to practice balancing with power off so I can be more confident that I will be able to maintain my own balance if the motor does cut out.

• @brageorgia sounds like you might be experiencing "surge". board suddenly accelerates and it feels sketchy as hell. you end up panicking, leaning forward and the board shuts down and you nosedive? Done this a couple of times, doesn't matter what speed you are going for it to kick-in. Now i'm prepared for it and i just lean back, which feels the opposite of what you should do and the board slows down.

• Regarding a nose-dive: I wonder if there is a link to way you are using the board...
    I understand you can ride it both ways but it would be interesting to know if the nose-dives are consistent with a riding method.

• Thanks for all the feed back. I'm now at 150miles on the board and have been using it for commuting and fun. Feel like I've gotten pretty good at reading it and knowing it's limits. Haven't had anymore nose dives until today, a pretty good one at that. I think being 225lbs there is a lot less notice of quick overloads. Today perceived no pushback or warning before I got dumped. It was a fairly flat sidewalk so I'm still scratching my head. I think it's just something to live with when riding. In the back of my head I'm always thinking of running it out. But crushing it and carving at high speeds you're just screwed if the nose goes down...

Hopefully as miles increase nose dives will become less and less. With 150miles currently I'm shooting for the top 10 in OW+ miles within 6 months. Currently 1,500miles would do it.

• @brageorgia I'm 209# and when I nosedive, which doesn't happen much anymore, I rarely feel any significant pushback before it happens. You're right, the more you weigh the more subtle the pushback feels. I've seen lighter riders (110#) experience pushback and the nose rose like 45 degrees- never had that happen with me, I've just got too much weight pushing down on it :)

• @hoverlover
    Switch to Sequoia and ride until you feel the strong pushback. It’s very pronounced. Helps you know what you’re looking for in the more damaged modes... which will also be more subtle.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.