Boston-area advice

• Got my OW+ a week ago on a whim; I've had a few falls and I'm a bit beat up but I think I'm learning.

I'm interested if any riders in the Boston area have specific local advice. The general unevenness of the sidewalks has been a problem for me, for instance -- I've taken one hard fall from misjudging how big a pavement edge it can power over.

I'm also interested if folks have experience interacting with the MBTA. I know one isn't allowed to carry electric devices like this on the subway, but is that enforced in practice? How about on buses? Are they allowed to be locked in the bike cages at the stations?

• @ggould Welcome!

I've seen folks online stuff the OneWheel in a duffel bag while on public transportation but there a bunch of Boston folks who ride the T. Look on Facebook for "OneWheel Boston".

• @skyman88 Thanks! I dropped Facebook years ago, but perhaps this is a reason to go back.

• I also live in an area where the sidewalks are total war zones. A couple of my early spills were from not having the confidence to attack big ridges/edges in pavement but now I'm getting over most big bumps no problem....I'm sure you'll find the same after a bit more riding.

• I've been on the T with my board several times, no-one seems to care.

As far as sidewalks, yah, that's a bitch in Boston. Also random dips in the road are a killer.

My advice would be bike lanes; it's the best overall.

And just drop the nose slightly but lean back when getting up a curb, it'll boost the motor and get you over the bump.

• There's a OneWheel Boston group on Facebook. I left because one of the members proudly named her board after the first Nazi security force and I objected. Got a lot of flak for objecting. Good Boston-specific information, though.

• Okay, here is one data point: T cops watched apathetically as I locked up my OW+ in a bike cage. So that's apparently legit-ish, even if technically prohibited.

Locked up in an MBTA bike cage

(To live in Boston is to live in the gray zone between what is illegal (nearly everything) and what anyone actually cares about (nearly nothing))

• @ggould said in Boston-area advice:

(To live in Boston is to live in the gray zone between what is illegal (nearly everything) and what anyone actually cares about (nearly nothing))

That may be the best, realist and most accurate statement I’ve ever read.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.