Nose Dive Tire Pressure Related?

• Just received my onewheel a few weeks ago and I have close to 100 miles on it. I use it to commute around NYC and it's been very reliable up until recently. During my morning commute the board took a nose dive within the first minute of my ride launching me off the board. Of course the day I'm carry all sorts of bags. I've read all the posts about nose diving and I wasn't over accelerating, never felt pushback (in Mission going maybe 10mph), and both my feet were firmly on the pads. In addition, the board didn't lose power. On my commute back the same exact thing happened, even with me being very cautious. When I got home I checked everything and the only thing that was off was the tire pressure. It was down to 10psi. My only thought was perhaps the low tire pressure caused the motor to overload? Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences. As I said, I ride this around the city and if I take a nose dive at the wrong time, it could be a very bad day for me. Thanks.

• Banned

"Nosedive" is the first episode of the third series of British science fiction anthology series Black Mirror. Michael Schur and Rashida Jones wrote the teleplay for the episode, based on a story by series creator and showrunner Charlie Brooker, while Joe Wright acted as director. Max Richter composed the soundtrack. It premiered on Netflix on 21 October 2016, together with the rest of the third series.

• Looks like we have a spammer in our midst.

• Yes, your hypothesis is very plausible.

How much do you weigh? How heavy of a load were you carrying?

Generally speaking, the lower the tire pressure the lower the efficiency (transfer of motor output to tire to road). Adding weight and not upping the pressure is equal to reducing the pressure at the same weight. So, as a 190lb guy, I cannot ride my 115lb GF's board (unless I add 20 PSI to it).

That said, if it didn't give you pushback, it could also be (in addition to the tire pressure) your feet are too wide on the board, or you slowed down and your foot wasn't on both sensors.

If your feet are too wide on the board, it makes it harder for the board to give you pushback (imagine trying to elevate a kid on a teeter-totter - if the kid is in the middle, no problem, if he's at the far end, difficult). When it does try to give pushback, it might overload and nosedive.

• @gwinntanamo
    Thanks for the response. I’m 200lbs and was probably carrying an additional 15lbs nothing too substantial just had my hands full. This is the first I’ve heard about riding with my feet to wide. I generally keep my front foot (one with the pressure sensors) towards the end of the board as I find it easier to disengage the motor while coming to a stop. I adjusted the tire pressure and rode it yesterday without an issue. However I’m still skeptical as I lost my confiendce in the board.

• @sgargiulo If your stance is wide, it has to work harder to lift the nose, unless your back foot is near the edge of the back footpad. If your lead foot is far forward, you are more likely to have more of your weight ahead of the axle as well.

Try riding with both feet as close to the wheel as possible and see how that feels. I find it feels more nimble because it takes smaller movements to turn the board, and there is a stronger feeling of balancing over the wheel rather than standing on a platform. The more you can balance on your own, the better the board can perform. See if you can find a middle ground that works for you.

For disengaging the sensor, push a little with the back heel while raising the front heel. That will make it feel more stable.

• @sgargiulo said in Nose Dive Tire Pressure Related?:

My only thought was perhaps the low tire pressure caused the motor to overload? Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences. As I said, I ride this around the city and if I take a nose dive at the wrong time, it could be a very bad day for me. Thanks.

It definitely could be tire pressure related. Less pressure means more rolling resistance. Also, Mission does not respond quickly to small dips and bumps, and will increase the chance of a momentary nose dip.

• @sgargiulo yeah, that's a really heavy load for a tire at 10 PSI.

I wouldn't ride below 15-20 PSI at your size. Also, start riding with a narrower stance and you'll be more likely to feel pushback before the board nose-dives next time.

Be cautious for a while though. You'll get confident again!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.