OneWheel considered a "Toy Vehicle" by city of Boulder, CO and is not allowed on multi-use pathways.

• I recently purchased a OneWheel electric skateboard and have been using it to commute to work every day for the past month on the nice, wide Boulder Creek bike path. I assumed that since I have seen lots of electric bikes and electric skateboards on the bike path that this was allowed. However, today for the first time, someone yelled at me "No motors!" as they biked by me. So, I contacted the City of Boulder to get some answers.

I read through the "Personal Motorized Vehicles Fact Sheet" linked on their webpage at https://bouldercolorado.gov/goboulder/electric-assisted-bikes-policy-review

They confirmed for me that my OneWheel device does not fit the allowed definition of an e-bike and that it is considered a "Toy vehicle" and is not allowed on the city's multi-use paths.

So, this sucks and i guess I need to sell my OneWheel since this is mainly how i would get around town. I would just do it anyway and see how long i can go before i get a ticket. But, I'm not looking forward to arguing with old crotchety dudes on bikes telling me I don't belong.

• @gnarssh for whatever my opinion's worth, don't sell your onewheel. We're all Trail Blazers and we need to get the world used to seeing devices like this, as they're the future, they make a lot of sense and get a ton of vehicles off the road. If a cop stops you, just plead ignorance and I'm betting a dollar they won't write you a ticket. If anyone yells at you, just smile and give him a thumbs up, and onewheel off into the sunset as they're left wondering 'I wonder what the heck that thing was!?'

• @groovyruvy thanks, I like you outlook on it. I did write back a nice friendly letter to the city explaining why i thought they should be allowed.

• @gnarssh

How long have you been commuting to work on the OW?

• This is a very important and potentially contentious topic and I hope we can get organized (both from users and companies like FM) to lobby the proper place for this fantastic device.

Often times, when a disruptive new technology comes out, it goes against or conflicts against existing legislation.

Some jurisdictions define a motorized vehicle by the top speed it can maintain (eg: 25 mph) which one could argue the OW fits below that threshold. You have to look at all the rules and regulations yourself and it would be even better if one of our users happens to be a lawyer.

The ADA (Disabilities Act) also define what access should be granted and luckily it is wide-sweeping but most of us as individuals are not considered disabled. However, many may fall into this category (neuropathies, diabetes, arthritis, etc) so there is hope there. But for the general population, I certainly hope we keep an eye and create some appropriate laws that support its use on public lands.

For now, we fall into some cracks in the bylaws where I live. If the park says no motorized vehicles - I suggest that the OW is not a vehicle and that the OW does not exceed the speed definition. I have also seen some boardwalk trails and the signage says "no bicycles". I see the poor cyclists dismount and walk their bikes as I saunter by since my OW is not a bike...

It would be a step backwards if they ban OW's like they do skateboards and confine those users to skate parks (that would be so boring for a OW) but I believe that was done because skate boarders posed a health risk to pedestrians around them as they tried their tricks and such. So long as OWheelers act responsibly especially around pedestrians, we stand a good chance of surviving this legislation transition.

• @gnarssh I've been riding my Onewheel in Boulder Colorado for 1.5 years using bike paths. This includes in front of cops that smiled as I went by. No one has ever given me any indication that riding it on bike paths was a problem.

• This post is deleted!

• Gibbs rule #18: It's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

• You really would sell your Onewheel because of something like bike road rules seriously. Peoples will newe stop to amaze me. WOW.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.