Fender made with a more appropriate material

• Why is the OW Fender made out of hard plastic? - so it costs $5 to make and Future Motion can make a killing on the $85 price tag. My fender broke after one simple "crash". Here's an idea, make the fend out of a material that will give when impacted, yet retains it's shape! - Think phone cover type of material. There has got to be many options that would be better than what is currently used.

• @njacobs said in Fender made with a more appropriate material:

Why is the OW Fender made out of hard plastic? - so it costs $5 to make and Future Motion can make a killing on the $85 price tag. My fender broke after one simple "crash". Here's an idea, make the fend out of a material that will give when impacted, yet retains it's shape! - Think phone cover type of material. There has got to be many options that would be better than what is currently used.

Sounds like you should talk to @njcustom about a magnetic carbon fiber option.

@sonny123 has one made out of a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and there are some others floating around the Forum.

• Yeah, I've see the carbon fiber option as well as other DIY versions out there. Once I can no longer glue and repair my OW fender I'll likely build my own. I just think its interesting with how well made and durable the OW is that they took short cuts on the fender. It would be easy enough for Future Motion to make it out of a rubberized plastic instead of hard, brittle, cheap stuff.

• I am anxiously awaiting my CF fender from @njcustom and I have the FM standard fender as well. What makes the fender susceptible to damage is that it is a 3 dimensional part. The part where the fender wraps around the wheel makes it potentially prone to damage when impacted heavily on its head (ie OW rolls upside-down). I have seen simple circular fenders fashioned out of flat sheets of plastic given a simple curvature (heat-assisted I assume). One may try to add a thick rubber/silicone gasket on the edges of the flat fender to give it a lip around the tire section. I suppose that lip prevents any stones from coming up to the rider's legs from the sides.

If I can find such a simple weather-stripping/window gasket material at my nearest hardware store, I may try it on my fenders at some time but my fenders already have that lip built in. If I put that material on my upcoming CF fender, it may protect it from scratches if my OW ends up on its side.

• @njacobs
    I Totally agree with what you said,mind broke also cheap plastic very disappointed!
    Steve T

• Should be made out of same plastic dirt bike fenders are made from. Would be indestructible.

• @cascadewheeler said in Fender made with a more appropriate material:

Should be made out of same plastic dirt bike fenders are made from. Would be indestructible.

I agree. I ride dirt bikes and though the plastic will scratch it rarely breaks or tears. OW Fenders need to be made of plastic that can flex. FM really dropped the ball on fender material.

• @njacobs
    The fender should also be priced more toward the $20-30 range - like dirt bike fenders. It would also be cool to select from a choice of colors - like dirt bike fenders.

• Well, it's official, I busted my OW fender today during my lunch break ride. Vega slick tires don't like wet grass and I crashed. Yep, the fender broke on grass. I had to complete my ride with the fender barely handing on at one corner. DO NOT BUY A OW FENDER! THEY ARE CRAP! Mine didn't even last 3 weeks. Worst $85 I ever spent. I'll be performing surgery on the fender this weekend to see if I can fix it (not likely). And I'll be searching Home Depot and Lowe's to fine a good, more suitable material to make my own fender; Something that will retain its shape, but will flex instead of braking with the slightest bump. Come on FM, build a fender that will last, either that or price the fender what it's worth, $5. Maybe we'll start seeing OW fenders at dollar stores. :/

• While I too would like a fender to be sturdy and cheap, I can't help but wonder if you are a new rider. When I bought my OW a few months ago, I was told at the store to gain experience before installing the fender. I've done 150 miles so far and I think it will be another 150 before I attach it.

Would be interesting to know experiences of more experienced riders with their fenders.

• @sfctac
    Same here but lower miles... after the first couple weeks I didn't jump off or dump my board much. As fate would have it my @njcustom Rambo fender didn't show up week 3-4 and has only taken a couple spills... 1 to avoid a car that could figure out if they wanted to let me cross, 1 for a nose dive and a recent dump because my Marty McFly Nike Mag shoes...

• @sfctac said in Fender made with a more appropriate material:

While I too would like a fender to be sturdy and cheap, I can't help but wonder if you are a new rider. When I bought my OW a few months ago, I was told at the store to gain experience before installing the fender. I've done 150 miles so far and I think it will be another 150 before I attach it.

Would be interesting to know experiences of more experienced riders with their fenders.

Yes, I'm a new rider. I've had my board 3 weeks as of today and have logged 167 miles. I've only come off the board 3 times. Yesterday when I came off the board it was on wet grass in a park. The fender busted up when crashing on GRASS. (note: temp was 82 - plastic was not cold. Mileage at time of crash was 155. I may be new to OW but I've taken to it quick. Regardless of my experience level, the fender is made of the wrong type of plastic. The shape and look of the fender is great, it just needs to be made of plastic that can give a little.

• As cool as they look, I’ve avoided carbon fiber fenders for this reason.

• Surprisingly I was able to repair the POS, FM plastic fender over the weekend. All four corners have been fixed and reinforced with JB Weld. We'll see how long it lasts. In the meantime I have been gathering the supplies needed to build a new fender out of a thick, rubber mud flap I purchased on amazon.

• @njacobs thats an awesome idea! when you finish this i really want to see it

• @pat_hurley
    Hey, I completed my mud flap fender today; I think it turned out pretty good. I may take it off and trim it, right now it's the same width as the board, I think maybe I'll shape it more like FM's fender. 0_1510466306984_Fender Off OW.jpg 0_1510466751296_flap to bracket.jpg 0_1510466960365_Mounted bracket.jpg 0_1510466989156_Finished product.jpg
    0_1510467008364_Side view.jpg

• Great job. That will never break on you. Just a comment but watch the sharp corners on the angle bracket. I know it is shielded by the rubber material but in case you flip/launch the board, you wouldn't want that corner to hit soft tissue.

Other than that - nicely done.

• @gadgetrider said in Fender made with a more appropriate material:

Great job. That will never break on you. Just a comment but watch the sharp corners on the angle bracket. I know it is shielded by the rubber material but in case you flip/launch the board, you wouldn't want that corner to hit soft tissue.

Other than that - nicely done.

Thanks. Yeah, maybe I'll round off the corner a bit. - I'll take care of that the same time as when I trim it.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.