Bad nosedive after 100+ miles without one.

• Have a onewheel + and put about 200 miles on it. Experienced some bad nosedives in delirium initially after working my way up, but all seemed to be leaning too far forward while going up hill. This one was on flat ground in Mission which I had about 100 miles of experience riding with zero problems, very comfortable. Zero pushback, riding completely flat, same stance as I had every day for over a month. Suddenly it's like i'm thrown out of a moving car with a blindfold on. Broke my clavicle so badly that it required surgery to realign. I could have purchased 15 of these things for what that cost me!

When powered on, the one wheel has much resistance in the motor and therefore the wheel, when powered off the wheel moves freely. I think that if Future Motion could let the thing nosedive but glide to a stop instead of feeling like it's tied to a chain and keep you from just balling up with zero notice it would be much better. Like a regular skateboard, if it nosedives let the wheel go free so there is a chance you could ride it out.

Helmet is an absolute must, this would have killed me had I not been wearing it during this and about 3 other early falls. I'm going to enjoy falling on the snow this winter and we'll see if any changes are made to help with this common issue by the spring.

Again, zero warning, zero pushback, same stance, almost at the very end of my ride with 20% battery remaining. I know what pushback feels like and have avoided this for 100+ miles. Something more has to be done or someone is going to be very seriously injured or worse.

Just take away the resistance on the wheel during a failure (nosedive or sensor issue), and give us a chance to ride/run it out. I've had some bad falls in my time on many different things but nothing like this.

• @aspenlife

Sorry to hear it.
    Hope you heal fast.

• @aspenlife

Sorry to hear of your fall and injury. Hope you heal quickly.

How fast were you going when it happened?

• @aspenlife I'm not sure that's how the OW works during a nosedive. It's the motor not having enough torque to both propel you AND stabilize your board (or, more specifically, keep your front from tilting down from the forward lean you are applying to it).

The wheel doesn't seize up when you nosedive - it's your weight finally pushing the front of the board into the ground. I am pretty sure the wheel does spin freely, but that wouldn't matter - the nosedive is a massive brake.

Read more about nosedives here in the forums - lots of great advice.

My one tip - ride with your feet (especially your front foot) as close to the wheel/fender as you can do comfortably. That reduces the torque needed to keep your foot and nose up off the concrete.

Be careful!

• Thanks for the replies. I will try to move my front foot closer to the wheel. I've read several incidents and I know it's not uncommon. I was putting my feet along the diagonal line on the front since I ride straight stance and not goofy it seemed like the line was an indication of a comfortable position for my foot but I guess moving it back makes sense. I'm sure I just pushed it without noticing any acceleration or extra forward lean. Not sure how fast I was going, I was in Mission and definitely not full speed but I was hooking it. Just exploded on the pavement. Doing well now, just going all out shoulder pads next time once it heals. Be careful out there! No helmet and I wouldn't be typing this!

• @gwinntanamo said in Bad nosedive after 100+ miles without one.:

from

One more thing about the wheel moving freely. On mine when I power it on and move it with my hands on the edges of the board the wheel has quite a bit of resistance because the motor is on and engaged, power it off and it's just freewheel. So my thinking is during a nosedive, obviously you're going to dig in and slow down considerably but as long as the power doesn't go off on the board the wheel will still have that resistance which just slows it down faster. That was all I was thinking with that. If that resistance wouldn't be there it may give you a small chance to anticipate how you're going to land? Just a thought. Thanks!

• @aspenlife OK, yeah, that's more clear. You are correct about there being resistance.

In my experience, unless I'm really lucky, as soon as my nose touches My back foot is already off the board and the race is on...

While you're healing, do as much reading about nosedives as you can. They really are terribly dangerous, and almost always avoidable.

Another thing to pay attention to is bumps/holes in the road - the OW can handle a lot, but if you are already pushing it speed-wise, any bump will force the OW to try to restabilize (which requires power from the motor), and if you're already pushing it - it will overload the motor and cause a nosedive.

Get well, and ride safe!

• When the battery is low, like 20% and under, there is enough "battery sag" that it can't output as much and has a harder time keeping the board level. This is more evident on the + due to the larger motor. I've seen a few of these nosedives and they all have the same thing in common, they happened when the OW battery was low.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.