The mystery for jumping up curbs without bindings has been solved. Are you ready to fly?

• @Glyph Hmm so I'm not the only one. I think I'll wait until there are more feedback after real usage in the wild.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I keep thinking one of the screw will break and I'm sure it will happen at the most appropriate time like when I'm jumping over a bus or something. LOL

Plus, Onewheel is just fine the way it is for my riding....

• Yeah,

I think a lot of us are feeling a bait and switch here.

No one told me I needed to zip-tie this crap to my Onewheel. Glad I have two boards or I'd NEVER consider this, and I'm still pretty on the fence here.

• Didn't mean to start any negative discussion about this without having any personal experience with it. So let's just all agree to hold off on any negative comments until we get real feedback from others. Then we'll know for sure. =)

• @mrclowny - Why not? This is rigged at best, I don't think any of us expected the zip tie situation.

• @mrclowny Agreed, I don't mean to be negative - the overall idea remains super-cool, which is why so many of us got excited about it. I just wonder if there's maybe a more elegant solution? Like maybe Flight Fins just needs to produce their own rock-solid fender, with the Fin system integrated to it, and you buy the whole thing. Or, like I said, maybe some kind of bracket that the Fin attaches directly to rather than to the fender (but the bracket could attach underneath the fender to the same frame screws.). The bracket would have to be strong though, aluminum or steel or something.

I got mine in the mail today, not sure when I will get a chance to attach.

• Really, they need to make a fender that bolts AROUND the frame, and is crazy sturdy.

• ordering these the moment my XR ships! Hope it is an easy install.

• @jamesgunter68 @grievor
    Jeff Mccosker made a tutorial on how to install FF ;)
    https://youtu.be/CJJ8G7uNg6s

• @michaelw said in The mystery for jumping up curbs without bindings has been solved. Are you ready to fly?:

It came back that in one area our design was 1/24,000 of an inch too thick..... You gotta be kidding me?! 1/24,000 needed to be shaved off to have it pop from the mold smoothly... So that was another week to go back to the design guy (these guys are busy) then back to them again.

This is the typical process with a new product. I'm guessing they said 24 thousandths of an inch meaning .024" which would make more sense than .000042". Normal calipers are good for 3 decimal place reads and micrometers are good for 4, after that you need some seriously finely tuned digital equipment to get readings in the 5th and 6th decimal place.

I always convert that to sheets of paper for people not experienced with manufaucturing tolerancing; so that would be ~8 sheets of standard paper thickness. US manufacturing world would say "24 thousands" or "24 mils", which both mean .024".

I'm glad you were able to get the best part possible from the start rather than finding this issue after you made some number of them. That delay will end up being worth it in the long run. Congrats to you and your brother!

• Have them installed now.

Spooky. I love it.

Install could have been better, but it could have been worse, and I still hate the zip-ties...

Still.. Damn cool add-on.

• I'm confused, I'm trying to position them on the fender and no position is possible without the edge severely digging into my legs unless I were to leave 1/3 of my foot hanging off the back of the board. And completely agree on the bait and switch with zero disclosure of the zip tie rig in order to prevent serious injury or death. Here's a picture https://imgur.com/a/GVcDa. I'm standing straight and it jabs me, if I were to even slightly bend my knees the edge would injure my leg!

• @lightning you've got a lot more room to mount it more forward, towards the front of your foot. The edge of the fins can hang over the bend of the fender, it's just the bolts have to be mounted on the flat part. You can also play with the angle of the fins, angling up the angle side. They don't have to be perpendicular with the board.

• @lightning You need to mount them slightly sideways. Tilt them off the top of your foot till they feel comfortable. Also, move them more off the fender towards the fender line. I would go over that fender line maybe a quarter inch. Hope that helps

• @glyph As I'm sure you probably know by now we have designed a Flight fender. This process takes time and we will need time for testing and refining. These other suggestions we looked at and found that they were either too expensive or not not doable for one reason or another.

• I will give that a try. I must admit I spent close to 8 hours and three attempts Drilling and remounting them. I don't know if my Fender is going to allow for any more Drilling. If you think you're going to get away with a quick one or two hour install think again. If you install these properly in less than 3 hours go get yourself a lottery ticket.

• @lightning I feel for you. Sounds like youre having a frustrating experience. It should be ok to move them again. We have test drilled several holes in a fender and had no issues as long as they are not super close. If they are getting more comfortable each time that is a good thing. Everyone is different. We find that it takes people typically about 15-25 mins to install. Hang in! You're gonna love them!!

• @michaelw Here's my flight fins install:
    0_1519013004231_27973224_10105132113520330_7087974184891754447_n.jpg
    Now I need to find a workaround so that I can still use the Mafia bag with them attached.. Any ideas? This is why I haven't used Loctite or zip ties yet.

I know they might look like they're mounted pretty high from that angle but I wear Nike SB Dunk high tops and that's where they were comfortable to mount.. and it's basically 3/4 of an inch up from the footpad.

• @joseph NICE!! Perfect mount for high shoes... A bit over that fender line is good as long as it feels comfortable for you. You'll be in the air soon :-) Mafia bag? hmmmmm. Seamstress?

• 0_1519018202387_Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 9.29.49 PM.png

• @michaelw I can't wait for the snow here to melt so I can give these a real try. We're gonna hit 50 degrees F on Wednesday so I'm hoping to go for a ride above ground. I've been just cruising my building's small parking garage occasionally since winter started.

Actually, a seamstress is a really good suggestion and I know one that might be up for the task. I'll let you guys know if I end up getting the bag customized to accommodate the fins.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.