Extreme Temperatures?

• So I just got my OneWheel+ and am super stoked about it. I've taken it out a couple times but here on the east coast we are having some terrible weather. The high for the past 2 weeks has been about 30. The manual says to avoid using in extreme temperatures, but that's a bit vague. I don't mind the cold so much but don't want to do any damage to my OneWheel. That being said, when I did take it out, the battery died VERY quickly. Does anyone have some specifics about what they consider Extreme temperatures and whether or not it will do any damage to the battery if it's being ridden in below freezing temperatures?

• @musix_mixr This might be helpful:
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lifepo4-lithium-iron-powersport-batteries-cold-weather-performance.html
    Main points:

1. Works down to 0F but...
    2. Maximum motor power is lower due to higher internal battery resistance, meaning nose-dives will be easier and the board will be generally more sluggish.

• @desperado Thanks for the tip! I actually submitted a ticket to Future Motion regarding the subject and got a response essentially saying keep the OneWheel indoors to keep it warm but it is okay to use in the freezing temperatures as long as you don't push it too hard. They also stated: "Keeping your board in the cold can cause damage to your tire, motor, and yourself. We will also not be able to cover any damage from riding in freezing temperatures under warranty." Sooo they are pretty much telling me sure go ahead and use it, but if the cold weather breaks it, we're not responsible. I guess I'll just have to wait for warmer weather...

• @musix_mixr
    I haven't had any issues with cold so far, but I always take the board inside immediately after use so nothing has a chance to freeze. If you take a warm board and freeze it, you'll get water condensing inside your battery and control modules because the warm, relatively humid air can't escape fast enough through the little vents. Take an empty water bottle and freeze it, and you'll see it fogs up on the inside. Is this a huge amount of water? No, but I can see why FM doesn't want to risk it. That said, I'm not sure how they could prove it was freezing temperatures that caused the damage. Ride your board a little outside in the cold and check the temp gauges in the app. If your board is like mine, your components will all be reading way above freezing.

• I will say this.. The board will not let you ride if its motor, battery and controller are 32F or below. I proved this yesterday after receiving it back from FM for a repair. I tried to fire it up right out of the box after being on a FedEx truck in single digit temps all day and it gave me a 16 error code. I let it warm up to about 45 or so and it was operational again.

• This post is deleted!

• @mtruby82 said in Extreme Temperatures?:

I will say this.. The board will not let you ride if its motor, battery and controller are 32F or below. I proved this yesterday after receiving it back from FM for a repair. I tried to fire it up right out of the box after being on a FedEx truck in single digit temps all day and it gave me a 16 error code. I let it warm up to about 45 or so and it was operational again.

Interesting... I haven't let mine get that cold but I guess that's a good failsafe.

@desperado said in Extreme Temperatures?:

@musix_mixr
    I haven't had any issues with cold so far, but I always take the board inside immediately after use so nothing has a chance to freeze. If you take a warm board and freeze it, you'll get water condensing inside your battery and control modules because the warm, relatively humid air can't escape fast enough through the little vents. Take an empty water bottle and freeze it, and you'll see it fogs up on the inside. Is this a huge amount of water? No, but I can see why FM doesn't want to risk it. That said, I'm not sure how they could prove it was freezing temperatures that caused the damage. Ride your board a little outside in the cold and check the temp gauges in the app. If your board is like mine, your components will all be reading way above freezing.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the running temps in the app... as soon the snow and slush is gone... which at this point seems like it'll be mid March...

• Hi's from Finland

OW+ works just fine in cold temperatures. Only charging must be done indoor in warm temperatures. I've been driving at -10 Celsius ( 14F ) - fingers and toes freezes over but its fun to cruise around the frozen lake.

I hope that the spring brakes sooner than my knee caps :)

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.