Nosedive "mitigation" product - beta testers wanted!

• Hey guys,

I've been a happy owner of a OW+ for a few weeks now. I've really enjoyed it, but going up a steep hill near my house I too experience the nose dive - and the front of my board hit the pavement, bringing it to an abrupt stop, and I flew off without really any time to put my hands down or even react, at about 10-11mph. I was wearing wrist guards and a helmet, but my elbow and hip got a bit of roadrash, even through a pretty heavy sweatshirt. I later discovered some bruised ribs after the adrenaline wore off, which are still somewhat tender.

At first, I believed that I had just leaned too far and hit the front of the board on the pavement, but after visiting these forums, I realized I over-torqued the motor and made it shut off (after pushing through some front edge lift), which then made the front crash down. While I could have prevented this riding in elevated mode, others have had their motor turn off with less abuse. So I wanted something as a bit of a 'safety net'.

Like many I wondered how I could have just ridden a bit farther (to enable me to realize what happened and jump off), or somehow avoided the sudden stop of the board.

After doing some research and experiments, I figured a set of low-profile wheels at the front of the board would allow it to roll along for a bit instead of the insta-stop that threw me off. I'm not the first to think of this, and certainly not the last...however, I do have a beta product ready that I'd like the help from the community in testing. If it works, the final cost will not be much.

The requirements were:

1. The mounts had to be very strong to avoid collapse when the front dives and hits the pavement.

2. The wheels had to roll easily (ie, ball bearings) and true, so that there was little friction.

3. The wheels had to be low-profile and not detract from the look of the board too much. If they could hide back in the bumper somewhere, even better.

4. The wheels needed to be easy to install with minimal modifications to the bumper, and not block the LED's.

I started a design in CAD and within a few days I had a prototype that I 3d printed in a very tough, durable material.

I believe I succeeded in all the above points – however, I've not been able to really test it out (now that I'm a little gun-shy about falling again). So I'm asking for 5 people to beta-test this product and let everyone know if it helps keep control in the event of a motor shut-off...or at least, allows you to jump off.
    I want to send out a pair of these wheels for testing to people here in the community who are the "hard core" OneWheelers who can benefit and really test them out.

(Obviously this only works on smooth pavement or sidewalks - not in the dirt or grass.)

Here's what they look like. Note that these I 3d-printed in red so that it's easy to see their form against the black of the bumper. But I will probably make them black unless people want a specific color.

Installation is easy - just remove the two screws under the front bumper, and replace with the screws included with the wheels (sized correctly and the right length). That's it!

Each wheel is supported by two ball bearings and an M5 steel bolt.

Also note the clearance when the wheels are touching the ground in one of the pics below.

Let me know what ya'll think!

thanks,
    matt

0_1515370233517_IMG_4254.JPG

0_1515370263941_IMG_4256.JPG

0_1515370281086_IMG_4258.JPG

0_1515370302324_IMG_4255.JPG

• The wheels look awesome good job!
    Send me a pair I'll test them out.
    If so email me at stevemtremblay@gmail for my address .

• @hoovdini
    Good job on a low profile design, Matt!

I own a V1 and ever since my one and only nose dive @ 20mph in the first two months of ownership last year, I tend to float and carve more than push my speed anymore. That ish tends to stick with you after a hard tumble (sounds like you know what I'm saying). Another long time OW owner, Sonny Wheels aka @sonny123, has a similar option out there as well. Both of your ideas look to be better than what was out there before. Although I understand the 3D printed material didn't fare too well with an earlier product. Just a heads up.

With you well, man. Peace.

• @floaton
    Thanks for the kind words! These 3D prints are rock solid and incredibly strong. So much so that you can't force the two sides that grip the wheel together with your bare hands.

And the production material is even stronger...it's carbon-fiber infused PETG plastic.

The issues won't be related to strength of the material, that is one thing I'm pretty sure of.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but the way

• I’d like to try them out as well. Had a couple nosedives early on when trying for speed records. Been pretty good until last night, took another header. Let me know in the DM. THANKS!

• I'd totally be down to try out a set! Those look really well designed. I'm a big guy, (6'2 235lbs) so I'll put as much force on them as I can and let you know how it goes! :-) Email me @ Joshua@satorimj.com.

• I can slam my nose into the pavement intentionally, fuck it. I'll test 'em out. Pads and balls, all I need, let's get stupid.

Also have a GoPro Hero 6 black with the Karma gimbal, will get some good test footage for ya too, win or fly.!!

Here's a couple of my board noses. One set of bumpers has already been replaced because there wasn't much left, and the rails were starting to get really eaten up.

• Okay, great, everyone who has replied thus far will can DM me their address and I'll ship them out soon. I only have 2 pair currently but more parts will be to me in a couple of days, then I can send out the rest.

I think that leaves one more person out of 5.

• @hoovdini

Sweet.

• Here's what the carbon-fiber versions look like - this is how they will all be for now. Very discreet. Almost looks like fangs from some views! And the best part is - no drilling or cutting with any part of the board - one bolt holds it in a caster-style alignment with the bumper. So it should auto-align as the wheel is dragged backwards from friction contact with the ground.

Other colors are possible but of lower strength (which may still be enough for this application), and lower softening temperature.

Also note that in this design, the wheels can be easily replaced as they get worn, and are pretty cheap and readily available online. The bearings will last a lot longer than the Delrin "tire" which is just really hard plastic.

1_1515388353253_unnamed.jpg 0_1515388353252_unnamed-2.jpg

• I want in!

• Love the initiative, beautiful design mate, congrats!
    There's only one thing that's bothering me: these wheels are really thin. They'd probably work perfectly on concrete or super smooth roads, what about uneven/rough surfaces, what about off-road?
    What I'm afraid of is one of these thin wheels getting stuck in a "pothole" and actually stopping the board, where the larger pad could have "ground" its way through. I suppose you have thought about it too, I'd love to hear your position. :)

• Count me in if you need more testers. You can reach me at ihgoping@gmail.com if needed.

I think your design is very elegant.

• @djinn
    It's not so much the thin-ness that I think will be the issue, but the diameter of the wheels (getting stuck in sidewalk lines, etc)...of course, there is a tradeoff between wheels that are larger and the look and function of the board. If they are too large they can interfere with normal riding - but would ride along the ground better. We have to find the optimal size /composition wheel.

This is the first test. I can easily make larger brackets for larger wheels, but I had these wheels on hand so I used them. If I could find 1" wheels that had the same material as inline skate wheels, those might work.

This product could be great - or it could suck. I'm really just doing this for fun right now and it's only by letting people try them out that we'll find the correct solution through iteration.

Definitely not for off-road, or grass conditions - this is currently a smooth pavement safety device. In the future, larger wheels may work for those conditions.

• @hoovdini I would love an opportunity to try these.

• Okay, guys, I'm going to extend the beta test group to 10 people. Seems like we could get some good data on the pros/cons.

• This post is deleted!

• I've been doing a bunch of ice riding, and when you slam the nose down, it just slides freely, picking the nose back up quite quickly. So far, I haven't been able to keep riding with the nose down. I think this is basically the desired effect. Riding with the nose down for any length of time seems to cause a number of unexpected, undesirable results. I haven't been able to do the ice nose-dive test at top speed, so take this experience with a grain of salt

• @hoovdini, I’d be willing to try them out for you. Are they installed front and back or just on the nose? Shoot me a message and I’ll send you my address.

• @hoovdini
    Hi,
    This seems to be excellent!
    I'd love to try them for you...if it's still time ;)

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.