Nosedive "mitigation" product - beta testers wanted!

• @arnlej
    Awesome Idea about the treadmill !!!!!

• @steeve
    Yeah a treadmill could work, but it's perhaps not really reflective of real world conditions that could stop these small wheels. Once the road gets too rough, all bets are off.

• Was just thinking the back for when riding switch. Don’t do it often myself though as that’s not my cup of tea.

• @hoovdini Sonny on the OW Owners facebook group tested his by using a stick with a nail in it to push the power button while riding. It's a bit to juggle while riding, but you will never be completely prepared for a nosedive.

Here is the one I made. It's a whole bumper to accommodate a 50mm wheel, which is a lot more trouble to print. It's actually made to go on the back to make transporting easier. I never had a nosedive while they were on the front. It was more about providing a little peace of mind while recovering confidence after a fall.

0_1515613911461_wheels.jpg

• @gibby said in Nosedive "mitigation" product - beta testers wanted!:

tail dive at high speeds. At least you can scrub speed on the tail, which I did for e few feet before I ran it out. Was still very scary and unexpected. Never had it happen in Mission or Delerium though.

I drag the tail when slowing down all the time. There is no way the board can slow down as fast as I need it to frequently. It super easy to ride out and recover. In traffic this happens to me a lot. Im at 225lbs though so this just may be easier for me to do

• Please send. You can email me for the address. fmjohns@gmail

I've had about 8 pretty bad nosedives, and a handful more i've been able to ride out. Ex snowboard instructor who will film the testing process.

• @ianjohnson said in Nosedive "mitigation" product - beta testers wanted!:

@hoovdini Sonny on the OW Owners facebook group tested his by using a stick with a nail in it to push the power button while riding. It's a bit to juggle while riding, but you will never be completely prepared for a nosedive.

Here is the one I made. It's a whole bumper to accommodate a 50mm wheel, which is a lot more trouble to print. It's actually made to go on the back to make transporting easier. I never had a nosedive while they were on the front. It was more about providing a little peace of mind while recovering confidence after a fall.

0_1515613911461_wheels.jpg

DROOOLLLLL over those concave, and beveled foot pads. =)

• @hoovdini Your experience is almost identical to mine. 2 different occassions separated by a few months, but both equally painful. The nosedive has made me gun shy to ride that path anymore. I'd love to try these out. Let me know how you'd like me to send my address and I'll send it over. Lee

• @ventoriffic - I tail drag regularly in emergency stops.

As far as installing these on the back? That'd be.. Not optimal.

I'd prefer something like a softer rubber bumper back that that would eat inertia quicker when dug into the pavement. Quite the opposite idea really.

• @ow-miami yup totally... emergency brake!

• @hoovdini Probably jumping the gun, but have you gotten any test feedback yet? I'd be very interested to buy these if they look like they will do the job.

• @glyph
    I have not...but I also have another design I want to show you guys. Will post some pics later this morning!

• I'll help out for sure! I broke my elbow after pushing my limits and having 3 hardcore elbow slams in a month span.
    I know, it was my fault for not wearing pads but 2 were unwarranted nosedives.....from my opinion. Let me know, if love some!

• Okay Lads and Ladies,

Here are some prototypes for a version with larger wheels - these will easily roll over sidewalk cracks, rough pavement, etc...and is actually a much softer/smoother ride than the smaller wheels, which use a very hard plastic for the "tire" portion. The plastic on the large wheels is much more pliable. These larger wheels also ride on twin bearings and an M6 stainless steel bolt. They share the same mounting position as the small wheels. These stick out a bit further than my latest design, which is lower in the bumper by about 2mm. That may not sound like a lot, but it makes a difference in how visible they are to the gawking observers.

The downside? The looks may not be for everyone. However, remember that you aren't cutting or destroying any part of your board to install these and you can install / remove them with two bolts. It's a 2-minute change if needed.

Another nice thing is that the rider does not see the wheels at all, because they are back far enough under the lip – so there isn't any visual distraction.

Only some of the original beta testers will receive these (those that give me the best feedback and test data probably). Like the small wheels they are not yet for sale. And you can get them in any color as long as it's black. :)

One other fact to note is that in the case of a nosedive, your front foot doesn't "fall" as far before the wheels hit. Which could help the rider either regain control sooner, prevent a fall, etc...

What do you think? Feasible or Lame?

2_1516666093148_IMG_4297.JPG 1_1516666093148_IMG_4296.JPG 0_1516666093147_IMG_4295.JPG 2_1516666116632_IMG_4301.JPG 1_1516666116632_IMG_4299.JPG

• @hoovdini These look great! I sent you my contact data a while back, any update on when the parts will arrive so I can start testing them?

• @njacobs

Got mine today - yours should be around soon I'd bet!

• @hoovdini Not gonna lie - the first design is obviously more unobtrusive. But, the newer design looks more solid and effective to me. Anxiously awaiting test results!

• @hoovdini
    They look better than the first ones...bigger so probably more efficient and BLACK so not as visible ;-)

• This post is deleted!

• @hoovdini -

I have some really good and some really bad news.

Let's start with the good - these things actually WORK - and they look great.

The handle looked awesome, and was pretty darn comfy too. Great design on the way it attaches! It doesn't work with the rail protection kit from Eight2Ten, but what a great way to attach it.

Now for the unfortunate news: Everything broke under hard use and abuse. The wheels worked really good at slow speed, found a pavement transition that was more than the board could do, but the wheels made it easy to nudge up and over. Worked wonderfully at low speed.

However, upon impact into the pavement with force, the plastic failed. Same was true of the side handle, one good impact into the pavement and it was instantly scattered across the ground in pieces.

Gotta say - I really hope you can bring a durable version of these to market - I'm in on the first batch (I'll pay into a kickstarter happily!).

LOVE the products. And I do mean LOVE them - but the things need to be made of way more durable materials - probably steel in the case of the wheels (like, the screws should fail before the case) and maybe a rubberized plastic for the side handles.

Cheers, and sorry for breaking my toys before I even tried videoing them - but I am satisfied that the design is great- the materials are where the weakness lies right now.

Here's some images:

(Wheels, showing evidence of successful use on pavement)

Wheels showing evidence of use

(Broken wheel)

Broken wheel

(Broken Handle)

Broken Handle

--

Again, everything was GREAT. Sad it didn't survive.

Please let me know if you'd like me to post the bits back to you for a post-mortem exam.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.