Board not slowing down

• My board when I'm riding likes to lock into a speed and just go like hell, and when I try to lean back to slow down I'm almost scraping the back foot pad and it won't slow down at all and I have to bail. Any suggestions on what this could be?

• Send it back, its under warranty

• Agreed. Send it back. It will break your heart to be without it for a week to ten days but it will return to you running better than ever. I know from experience.

• Alright. Thanks guys. It breaks my heart cause I waited 2.5 months but I'd rather not kill myself

• @OneWheelNoob Good choice. This could make for a really bad scenario.

• @OneWheelNoob I had a similar experience the first week I had my OW. I crashed really hard because I couldn't slow down. It hasn't happened since and I honestly think it was user error. I think I made the mistake of fighting pushback, therefore leaning forward (trying to maintain balance) and accelerating more and more. Not sure if this is the same thing that's happening to you.

• Happened to me as well twice when I first got it l but I was able to bring it under control. I've now had it for a few months and it just happened again today. I had to bail as it would just not slow down, front foot was way higher than back foot. I was on an uneven gravel trail so it ended poorly......... It just kept getting faster and faster, pressure had to be on back foot though given how high the nose was. Anybody else still having these issues?

• @TDJ were you riding in classic mode? If so the same thing has happened to many of us when we were learning to ride. Your nose being high up sounds like OW on the high edge of pushback, just before it couldn't keep up with you any longer pitched you off. If you've hit pushback in classic, the nose will stay up high like that even with heavy pressure on the back foot. When you get to that point just shift your weight back and the board magically levels out- and you're back in control. The real solution is to switch to extreme mode, as classic mode is really not a great mode to ride in, due to its low top speed and aggressive pushback characteristics. Extreme mode has a higher top speed and behaves more predictably when you hit pushback. When I was first starting to ride I stayed in classic mode way too long, and was nervous about switching to extreme mode because it sounded scary. My reluctance cost me 3 wipeouts (pitched off the nose of the board). I finally switched to extreme and immediately noticed a better ride experience, and was then able to start unlocking the board's true potential. On the other hand, if you're already in extreme mode and getting runaway board, it may be you've gone beyond pushback and the board's behaving unpredictably, which can happen past pushback.

• Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is in classic mode. It all happened so fast. I do recall looking down though and noticing the front was quite a bit higher than the back. The back foot pad wasn't quite scraping the ground but it was close. I think what's happening is that I'm panicking and when you are on your back foot like that and it's not slowing down you panic even more. Balance is compromised when you are traveling so fast with your nose so high in the air. I think I finally just hit some protruding rocks or uneven ground and lost balance, I tried to run it out which at that speed was impossible. Also I read another post which instructs you to actually level out the board which seems counterintuitive as I am trying to put weight on the back foot to try and slow down which just brings the nose up in the air. I'll practice on a more aggressive mode "on grass" HA! and try leveling versus nose-up technique to slow it down. Thanks again.

• @TDJ I'm not sure I ever rode in classic mode. My dad got his and I tried it out at whatever setting he has had. I am pretty sure it was always on extreme, and having only ridden that I would imagine you'll get used to it just fine on any surface.

• @TDJ if you're going to stay in classic mode and you ever find yourself in that position again (nose up, weight on the back foot, board won't stop), just shift your weight back to behind the center of the wheel, and that change will slow the board down and you'll be able to recover. I really recommend ditching classic in favor of extreme mode. The label 'extreme' evokes fear- makes one think the board will take on all these high performance capabilities that can't be managed. Not the case. Extreme mode is better because that crazy severe pushback you're getting in classic mode doesn't occur. You will still get pushback in extreme mode, but at a higher speed and it's not as severe in that it doesn't force the nose up as aggressively. I, along with many members of this community, feel that extreme mode is actually much safer. My experiences in classic (same as you I got pitched off after not being able to recover) made me think that if I couldn't handle classic, there'd be no way I could handle extreme. Seems ironic but that's not the case. Just try extreme once and if you don't like it you can always change back. I finally got the nerve up to switch to extreme, and right away I felt a lot better on the OW and was able to get not only more speed, but better control and overall performance. Take the leap of faith, you won't regret it!

• @groovyruvy Will do!! Thanks again, I was thinking the exact same thing. If I crashed in Classic how am I going to handle Extreme......

• I'll echo the advice re: mode. I've had a few little spills, as is typical, but my only big one was in Classic mode. I didn't feel in control at all. And then, very abruptly, I wasn't!

• @TDJ if the nose was WAY up and tail was nearly dragging, that sounds like you got overcharged. Did this happen with a nearly full battery while traveling downhill?

I also agree (strongly) with getting out of Classic mode, but this sounds like the freewheel that I've experienced when the regen brake overcharged me.

• Cheers @1woman1wheel. Extreme mode has been engaged and I can't wait to get back out there once I heal up........

Thanks @jordo the battery was full or very close to full but I wasn't traveling downhill. I was on a fairly flat gravel/rocky trail so there were minor peaks and valleys but it wasn't a continuous downhill. I'd say I was about 10 minutes in when it started running away from me. Motor was definitely propelling me faster and just when I thought it couldn't get any faster it kicked in again and I couldn't hold on any longer. I've been replaying it several times and I do recall a point where I started to pick-up a little bit of speed (on purpose) and then it just seemed to take-off and I couldn't regain control.

• @TDJ Here's a good thread to read through on this subject: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/2945/accident-log/20

• @thegreck Thanks. One thing I have been wondering about (crashes will do that to you..... Ha) is after experiencing low battery pushback this week (I was on grass so it was actually fun riding it with the nose up and the speed was controllable) What I experienced when the board just kept picking up speed and I couldn't get it to slow down so had to bail in Classic mode was for sure pushback. In Classic mode the speed is limited to I believe 10mph before pushback? I assume that unless you are able to lean back and level out the board that it will continue to pick up speed despite the "speed limit" of Classic Mode? I wish I would have had OWheelbuddy to see how fast I was actually going at that time but if it happens again I guess I will know.

• @TDJ I've never once ridden in Classic (read too many times on the forum by experienced riders to avoid it while waiting for my board to arrive), but I assume since pushback occurs so early, that it's possible it'll keep speeding up until you shift your weight back and allow it to slow down (another reason to not ever ride in Classic). But it's going to cap out at 20mph if that's the case. It won't just keep speeding up until you're going 100mph.

But seriously, switch to Extreme and thank me later.

• @thegreck yes I've already made the switch so I'll thank you (and the others who commented) now!!!

• I had exactly the same problem. I was in classic mode with around 40% battery left. I don't think I was getting pushback, but definitely got into a situation where the nose was high in the air and the back was scraping the pavement with no slowdown. I bailed, and when I got off, and tried to stand on the board, it would not balance. Had to shut it off. Turned it off and in again, and then it balanced, but the same thing happened again in less than 2 minutes. Went back and charged it fully and it seems to be working again, but it wa kind of terrifying that it seemed to randomly stop accepting controls to slow down.

• @alanshi what you described is exactly how classic mode behaves. Many here in this forum feel that if you're achieving any sort of sustained speed, classic mode is dangerous and I strongly agree. The way it issues pushback, it's not nearly as easy to deal with as when you're in extreme mode. Switch from classic and the problem goes away.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.