Has anyone opened up the Wheel on the plus yet?

• I have a weird noise coming from the hub or axle when I roll the board almost completely over to either side while stopped. Its like the axle or something is shifting side to side. I want to open it up to see whats going on but haven't seen anyone do this yet...

• First, check to see if the 4 bolts holding the wheel to the rails/frame are nice and tight. There should be 2 on each side. There is a video on YouTube of a guy disassembling the entire wheel and motor. I believe he found a smal piece of metal inside of the motor that was rattling around.

• Post a video maybe? Would help us to diagnose this for you.

• @rado Yup. I know about all those bolts as I've replaced my tire on my own before. I checked all 8 bolts actually (4 outer and 4 inner) Didn't help. I figured out that the sound is coming from inside the hub.

• @ow-miami I will post a video later tonight. If you want to check to see if your board does the same thing a simple test is to place your board on its side on something soft like carpet (so you don't scratch your rails). Then lift the board up and hit it on the ground (not crazy hard or anything :-P) If you don't hear anything unusual then put it on the other rail side and do the same thing.

• @rado Also I saw the same video and he was dismantling a V1. The plus has a very different axle system and seems to be a bit different to take apart.

• @mtruby82 - I'm actually chuckling at the 'so you don't scratch your rails'..

If I didn't have rail protectors, I'm pretty sure they'd be fully silver by now. LOL

I'm so hard on rails I've even had to have FM replace a pair.

With that being said, I'll do that, just out of curiosity. Though, are you sure it's not the ferrite ring in the front?

• @ow-miami I made this video of it at lunch.. And its not the ferrite bead in the controller.. I fixed that already :-)

https://youtu.be/ARhlQkXDKFw

• This post is deleted!

• @mtruby82 - I'd agree, definitely not the ring.

Could it be the whole assembly moving? Sounds like a pretty big something.

Very interested in what you find.

• @ow-miami Do you mind trying it with your board to see if it does the same thing?

• @mtruby82 -

As requested, I tried it. No similar sound at all.

• @ow-miami Thanks.

• I have an occasionally squeaky wheel... but no side play thunk like your vid.

• @cascadewheeler Thanks for the response. I'm convinced its play in the bearings because the entire wheel will shift left and right about 1mm on the axle. The only thing that could be causing that is the bearings. There should be a tiny amount of play but its strange that mine and not all boards do this.

• @ow-miami how much was rail replacement?

• @kbman - Rails were sub $100 - but you gotta REALLY fuck them up before FM will replace them - it's my understanding that they almost never do that.

• I think you really should just send it back for a quick repair. They'll figure it out and fix it up. Might be a little slow (Pfft. Great reason to by a spare OW, right??) - but they generally seem to do very good repair work.

• @ow-miami I disagree. I had a bearing replacement by them already and I was surprised to find the replacement they used is very low quality. The factory bearings are NSK (really good!) When I type in the bearing number of the replacement, all the listings are for bearings that cost between $9 and $30. The NSK's are about $100 retail. The replacement also has no manufacturer or country of origin printed on it (not a good sign for a bearing). For anyone that has had their board in for any bearing issues like a wheel click or squeak, check to see if you have one black bearing. I bet the black one is as I've described above and you probably have lateral axle slip. I think the replacements are not quite to spec which is 10mm wide. So to clarify, I do not have play in the bearings.. My wheel is actually slipping laterally on the axle because one of the bearings isn't wide enough to be seated properly with the internals that hold everything in place. I know this all sounds OCD and a bit crazy but I've thought about it A LOT.

• This is why i like to fix stuff myself. Time for FM to sell us parts to keep our toys working ourselves.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.