Really looking forward to XR and fewer nosedives

• The biggest problem with my pluses is not range alone, but the tendency to nosedive when accelerating moderately over bumpy pavement. I’ve been trying to push the board harder lately and this is a consistent problem, even though I keep my stance pretty close to the wheel and I’m only 165. I would ride in delerium more, which does reduce the nosedives, except for the battery life. Trade offs man.... anyway I’m really looking forward to more torque and maybe more delerium without range anxiety

• @readysetawesome - I (and others) have speculated about whether the increased torque reduces nosedive probability under some conditions. Jury's definitely out: I think it could potentially help, others think it will make no difference at all, or perhaps even allow people to nosedive faster/sooner than they otherwise would.

I'll be watching the reports of people going from + to XR closely to see. I really hope the increased torque helps. If nothing else, like you say, if Delerium is slightly better on nosedives and range is no longer an issue on the XR, then leaving it on Delerium all the time becomes a no-brainer.

• At what speed do you tend to nosedive? If you're regularly cruising over 15mph that's the problem. Also keep your feet bent, ready to absorb road variations. This also increases battery life by a surprising amount. Your board has to work a lot harder when your legs are locked. Nosedives are 99% user technique. I'm not specifically saying user error, it's just improper technique, a lack of knowledge or understanding.

• @readysetawesome said in Really looking forward to XR and fewer nosedives:

even though I keep my stance pretty close to the wheel

Both feet? One foot?

I nose-dived once on my Onewheel+.
    I thought I was immune because I kept both feet close to the fender.

Then I realized while my front foot touches the fender, my back foot needs to be as far back as possible, which dramatically changes the center of gravity rearward, requiring less effort on the motor to keep the board up.

• A nosedive is simply what happens when the motor can not produce enough torque to counteract the force of the rider's forward lean. The Onewheel desperately wants to keep us upright but has a finite amount of torque (no matter your foot position). Your center of gravity is slightly forward of the axle as you maintain cruising speed no matter where your feet are. Imagine a line straight down from your spine to the axle. When you ride uphill this line moves forward. Steeper means even farther forward. When this line reaches a certain point, the motor simply cannot produce enough power to keep you upright. A motor with 10% more torque (as FM claims for the XR) will have 10% more torque available to try to keep the rider upright and resist against the pressure applied. Even when a nosedive occurs, its not because the motor stopped trying, it just because it couldn't fight any harder. Keep it smooth and within the motor's comfortable capabilities and you will be fine. Cross the line and you become separated from the board. Period.

• @acumen Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, makes a lot of sense. I'll push my rear foot farther back

• @cactvs is there a way to control the top speed of the Onewheel vi the app? My son got thrown. Headfirst off his board today.

• I keep my front foot pretty close to the wheel, rear foot mid to 3/4 back on the rear foot pad. I keep it at 14-16mph or under mostly. Haven't nosedived since. I wear full pads and a helmet, and if I don't wear full pads I cruise at 12mph or less but really should always be fully padded on the OneWheel

• @bwn said in Really looking forward to XR and fewer nosedives:

@cactvs is there a way to control the top speed of the Onewheel vi the app? My son got thrown. Headfirst off his board today.

I got thrown off the front at 22mph at around the 600 mile mark on my plus. Full padding on, but still got a lot of road rash and sore muscles. I opened a thread on the wishlist to be able to set a speed to be warned at, but I'm not sure @Future-Motion pays attention to them, as there never seem to be any responses.

You can't "control" the top speed, all that would do is nose dive you sooner, if you understand the physics. Best thing to do is wear full protection (as suggested all over this forum) and/or keep your speed down. My top speed anymore is about 15 or 16, but when casually riding, I stay around 10.

• @onedan

Exactly. The OW does warn you about your speed, going past 15 mph is a decision you make and risk you take. Motor only has so much power, so it can balance you or accelerate you; the faster you go the less it can balance. There’s a few riders who stay below pushback and haven’t nosedived in 4000 miles.

If your light weight or skilled or both you have a better chance being able to push past 15 mph.

• You are actually more likely to nosedive with your feet closer to the wheel I would suggest a wider stance you will have more control over how much pressure you are giving your board to accelerate. If you are having nosedives on a + you will have just as many on the XR. its 100% how you are riding

• @cactvs
    this is helpful. I destroyed myself on an uphill grade and I'm convinced that I pushed the limits of the board. Result: nosedive at top speed. Im a bit trepidatious to get back on my board, only because of my road rash, dislocated shoulder and infection from sever road rash. I love my Onewheel Plus and do not want to give it up but I'm looking for answers; what did I do wrong to cause a complete nosedive? It so traumatic. I spent July 4th in bed trying to recover and figure out what I did wrong. I never thought to blame Onewheel. It is technology and I accept the dangers of endeavoring high speed craziness. Just looking for advice. Your insight helps. Thank you

• @troyhenry I fucked up my shoulder back in December on a nosedive, caused by overacceleration from a dead stop on a flat grade; I am about 80% healed, but it is still stiff/sore (cannot sleep on it) and has reduced range of motion. This was my first and to date only nosedive, I had 250 miles on the board so I was not a total novice but I believe I got overconfident and accelerated too fast from dead stop, and overweighted/overrode the board's abilities (though I will note that I felt no pushback, and I know what pushback feels like and I heed it).

You will hear differing opinions on this, but I believe that anti-nosedive wheels might have reduced the damage I did, by either allowing me to recover from the nosedive and bring the nose back up, or at least slowing/easing the board's transition from "moving" to "immediate dead stop, rider thrown to concrete with full force and weight on leading shoulder" and giving me a fraction of a second to react and run out or roll. Post-crash, I installed Fangs on mine. I haven't needed them yet, I hope I never will, and I am aware that they will not save my ass in every situation. But they might at least help you regain your confidence.

• @troyhenry aggressive acceleration uphill is a known challenge for the board. My only two nosedives were accelerating uphill.

I did not have the plus, the XR is my first board. I have not had any problems cruising on flat ground, although I seldom go above 16 or so unless i KNOW the terrain and know it is smooth.

I have hit bumps and depressions, and you can feel the engine working very hard, and I think those situations you come close to going over the nose, and likely would if you were going fast.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.