flying with a one wheel

• Lately in the news those cheap Segway type boards got banned from flying. Does this affect the one wheel. I'm about to travel Friday and would like to show my family my OW.

• Just put in through the scanners and use it as a carry on item and stick it in the overhead bin! I flew to Texas no problem to go shredding at BSR cable park there! :) Enjoy!! :)

• @Wakeboarder54 I think you got lucky. Were you also able to fly back? Most people say that TSA won't let it through if they realize there's a Lithium Ion battery in it.

Even if I was able to get through on the way somewhere, I'd be afraid that I'd have to leave it behind when I was coming back, which would be much worse.

• @thegreck If worse case scenario they would make you check it. And yes I flew there and back with the board. No problems what so ever. Wanted to ride it through the airports but afraid of security chasing me down LOL

• @Wakeboarder54 That's like saying that if you try to carry a bomb onto a plane, the worst thing they can do is make you check it. Unfortunately, the current fear with airlines is that the battery is going to explode, so they don't want it on the plane at all, checked or carry on.

I'm surprised you got on with it at all, this has been a big issue ever since the hoverboards started exploding. Unless they're finally changing the rules and no one else has heard about it.

• @thegreck Mine was fine when I flew and the onewheel crew flies with them all the time! They even flew to Dubai with them to show them off to people there an increase their sales.

• I'm confused, I heard about of talk about them being banned on flights are they banned or not banned?

• Yeah same. @BrianInMN and I are flying to FL in Sept and it would be much easier to carry it on. Hmmmm. I will have to do some calling.

• @hustle please let us know what you find out!

• The airlines that I have called say absolutely no lithium batteries. I'm flying to Oregon soon and my wife and I desperately want to bring our boards. I am wondering about maybe removing the batteries and shipping them. If they are removable by a mechanic with basic electronic skills.

• @donny-h said in flying with a one wheel:

I am wondering about maybe removing the batteries and shipping them. If they are removable by a mechanic with basic electronic skills.

Yes, this is possible. You have to take off the rear footpad and the end cap to expose and remove the battery module. Then disconnect the connector for the battery module under the opposite footpad. I have not done it myself yet, but expect to at some point. The only reason I see to ever send it in to FM is for warranty or recalibration. Otherwise, it's not worth the wait IMO.

Here is a video of what it looks like although this dude went a bit further :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Iw2cKDn6KPs&app=desktop

• So does this mean you can't even pack it in a suitcase with your checked baggage?

@donny-h said in flying with a one wheel:

The airlines that I have called say absolutely no lithium batteries.

• Yes, they don't want them on their planes.

• @lieutenantglorp thanks man! I appreciate the link

• @lieutenantglorp Great link. Thanks for sharing... I will look into doing this possibly.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.